W/ respect to Jerry Rice,

eSJayDee

when he asked Largent to 'unretire' his jersey #, just so he could use it.

Particularly for someone that holds virtually all receiving records, that seems pretty classless to me.

442905[/snapback]

That's ironic that you say this, cuz I felt the same way when that happened. That was really nervy ..

When Karl Malone joined the LAKERS, Magic Johnson offered to let him wear his retired # 32, but Malone politely declined w/ honor and said it just wouldn't be right

Now that's class ...

:(

I love to cook and watch cooking shows all the time. I remember watching a show on HGTV and I beleive it was called Great Kitchens. Cool show. They would show Chefs home kitchens. Some lived in efficiencys in citys and they would cook up some incredible meals from these tiny home kitchens. Then they showed Jerry Rices kitchen. Gigantic, 2 of every top of the line appliance, hoods, just an unbelievable kitchen. Rice opened his fridge and it was basically Gatorade. Then came the cooking portion. He made pancakes from a box. What a waste of a beautiful cooking space. You can tell he never used any of that stuff and it was all for show.

Particularly for someone that holds virtually all receiving records, that seems pretty classless to me.

442905[/snapback]

Listen, Steve Largent was a fantastic WR and it's not like he had a problem with it.

"He just told me, ‘Jerry, if you want to wear the #80, you have my blessing'," said Rice at his press conference Tuesday. "When he said that it sent chills through my body, because I know what he has done for this city, and when you think about the Seattle Seahawks you think about Steve Largent. For him to just say that without any hesitation, that I could wear his jersey, that meant the world to me.” Jerry Rice press conference

http://www.seahawks.com/ardisplay.aspx?ID=4692&SecID=29

It wasn't like Drew Haddad asking him, it was Jerry Rice. The best wide out in the history of Football approaches Largent to wear the jersey so he can continue his leagacy as #80. Largent immediately understands and respects Jerry and says ok.

There was mutual respect amongst them and I don't see the issue. The number on your back doesn't change the name above it.

t-r

There was mutual respect amongst them and I don't see the issue.  The number on your back doesn't change the name above it. 

t-r

442936[/snapback]

A jersey number is retired for a reason, and it's a very uncommon occurence for it to be retired. For him to even ask is nervy ...

If you're Largent, Rice makes the request to you, and you really don't want him to have it, it can be very awkward for him to say no, he's being put on the spot ...

Either way ... it was retired for a reason ... so that NO OTHER PLAYER can ever wear it ever again

Sorry fella, I couldn't disagree with ya more ... :(

A jersey number is retired for a reason, and it's a very uncommon occurence for it to be retired. For him to even ask is nervy ...

If you're Largent, and you don't want him to have it, it can be very awkward for the player to say no, he's being put on the spot ...

Either way ... it was retired for a reason ... so that NO OTHER PLAYER can ever wear it ever again

Sorry fella, I couldn't disagree more with ya ...  :(

442947[/snapback]

Ditto. Some things just ain't right.

Isn't the Largent thing old news? I mean, when Jerry went to the Broncos this year, #80 was already taken by Rod Smith, who is the leading receiver in Broncos history. My guess is that Rice asked Smith if he could wear #80, but all I know is that Rice showed up in camp and preseason wearing #18, and didn't raise any public fuss about it.

I agree with the "mutual respect" opinion.

If you're Largent, Rice makes the request to you, and you really don't want him to have it, it can be very awkward for him to say no, he's being put on the spot ...

Sorry fella, I couldn't disagree  with ya more ...  :(

442947[/snapback]

Listen I understand exactly what you are saying. He's not the leader of class by approaching Largent for his number. However, he's the best of all time. I think in his mind that gives him extra liberties amongst players. It's not like he was disrespectful about it.

He respected Largent. When you or I think about #80 for the Seahawks we aren't going to think J. Rice. What's the issue with a guy going out of the league wearing the number he had his whole career? Respecting Largent is acknowledging his accomplishments. Wearing his number doesn't subtract from that.

If it was seriously that big of an issue why did the organization allow it? I think you are making more of this then need be.

T_R

Listen I understand exactly what you are saying.  He's not the leader of class by approaching Largent for his number.  However, he's the best of all time.  I think in his mind that gives him extra liberties amongst players.  It's not like he was disrespectful about it. 

He respected Largent.  When you or I think about #80 for the Seahawks we aren't going to think J. Rice.  What's the issue with a guy going out of the league wearing the number he had his whole career?  Respecting Largent is acknowledging his accomplishments.  Wearing his number doesn't subtract from that. 

If it was seriously that big of an issue why did the organization allow it?  I think you are making more of this then need be. 

T_R

442996[/snapback]

I guess it's not like he's a wife beater, murderer or drug dealer like so many other NFL heros referred to here as "the greatest".

If you can UN-retire any jersey at any time... what's the point of retiring a jersey?

I for one... hope that no hot shot quarterback ever comes in to Buffalo and demand the number 12. I don't care who it is.

Retired means retired...

Unless you are Bill Parcells, Michael Jordan (twice), Deion Sanders....

Aww crap, I just give up.

Since the Seahawks when to that dark green jersey, when Rice wore #80 I didn't think of Largent. The colors are so different, it doesn't seem the same.

If I saw #12 in the new dark Bills jersey, I wonder if it would even strike a chord?

442905[/snapback]

What's up here, esJ? I've goolged and yahoo, but have come uo empty about such verbage from Jerry Rice. Point me in a direction so I can read his statement..

"He just told me, ‘Jerry, if you want to wear the #80, you have my blessing'," said Rice at his press conference Tuesday.

He put Largent in a very difficult situation. If he had refused, he would have looked like a bigger A-hole than Rice.

Oh, & Stuck - I yahoo'd "Largent Rice jersey" & got lots of hits.

None of the 1st few had any actual comments, but you can certainly get the jist of what happened. Also, look like Real found a related quote.

Considering his expected production at that point in his career, I'd say it was quite disrespectful.

As for his waste of kitchen facilities, bear in mind it's probably part of a 4000+ sq ft multi-million $ estate/mansion. 'Wasting' perhaps another $50k or so on kitchen fixtures is sorta like you spurging & wasting having cable outlets installed in every room when you've only got 1 tv. It's what's expected in that kind of house.

Jerry Rice = Barry Bonds.  Great player, but all about himself and all about his numbers.

443224[/snapback]

Having lived in the SF Bay Area for 15 years, I'm pretty familiar with the personalities and professional attributes of Bonds and Rice. To say they are equal displays profound underestimation of Jerry Rice's team-player attitude throughout his career.

"He just told me, ‘Jerry, if you want to wear the #80, you have my blessing'," said Rice at his press conference Tuesday. "When he said that it sent chills through my body, because I know what he has done for this city, and when you think about the Seattle Seahawks you think about Steve Largent. For him to just say that without any hesitation, that I could wear his jersey, that meant the world to me.” Jerry Rice press conference

442936[/snapback]

Classless Bastard! How could he say all those terrible things about Steve. Obviously he thinks Largent is a chump. What a maroon. They should kick him out of the league. He lost my HOF vote, I tell ya. I just so FREAKIN PISSED that Rice has the unmitigated gall to wear #80...who the hell does he think he is?

Jesus Roller Skating Christ, it's nobody's biz but Largent's and it seems like he doesn't have a problem with it. If Rice lost your respect over this, then your respect isn't worth much. ;)

Classless Bastard!  How could he say all those terrible things about Steve.  Obviously he thinks Largent is a chump.  What a maroon.  They should kick him out of the league.  He lost my HOF vote, I tell ya.  I just so FREAKIN PISSED that Rice has the unmitigated gall to wear #80...who the hell does he think he is?

Jesus Roller Skating Christ, it's nobody's biz but Largent's and it seems like he doesn't have a problem with it.  If Rice lost your respect over this, then your respect isn't worth much. :o

443317[/snapback]

Speaking of one's own biz, why not keep Jesus out of it and display a bit of respect yourself? ;)

The thing is, a player doesn't decide if his jersey number is to be retired, it is the team that decides it. Therefore, why is Rice even asking Largent, and why does Largent have any authority to give it up? That's extremely disrespectful of Rice, IMO, no matter what. A jersey retired is a fairly uncommon thing, and done for one and only one purpose, SO NO ONE WEARS THE FRIGGIN' JERSEY AGAIN!