Bucs don't think JP will pass

BRH

link

"He does run around a lot," McFarland said of Losman, who engineered scoring drives on Buffalo's first five possessions against Houston. "They're not going to put the game in his hands passing, I don't think."

So, did they watch any film of last week's game?

link

So, did they watch any film of last week's game?

442413[/snapback]

I think the Bills will do the same as last week. They'll throw it deep, they'll throw it short and they'll let JP run it on QB draws up the middle and bootlegs around the ends. They have to do this because the Bucs will shut down our running attack if they load up on the run. Opening up the run with the pass is crucial for this game and this defense. If successful it does a few things, it suprises the opposition who obviously has no respect for our passing offense, it shuts up the crowd, it creates big runs oportunities for McGahee later on, it helps move the chains keeping our defense fresh. The best scenario would be for JP to hit Evans on a bomb touchdown in the first series, but they've already connected on a bomb pass, now all he has to do is hit Lee in stride.

8 in the box is not what the Bucs do. They've been playing Dungy-Kiffin's cover 2 for forever, as Bucs fans are fond of pointing out, i.e., "#2 defense for the past 2 years? get back to us when you've had a top-10 defense for 8. you haven't proven anything."

This of course, after pointing out that last year's season-ending tear means nothing. Oh well. They're challenged. Ok, back to topic:

The cover 2 is all about not giving up the big play over the top, and the way Tampa implements it involves speedy undersized guys up front swarming to the ball to take away the run.

Now, the one matchup that doesn't necessarily favor Tampa is a power inside running game. Derrick Brooks could run a 4.1, but that don't mean jack if a) he's not chasing the play, and b) he's got a hat on him. Running wide sweeps and screens would play to their strengths, running inside and trapping plays to ours, and don't think MM and TC don't know that. You can only move so many bodies over so much space in so much time on those quick hitters. If TB is forced to move their safeties forward, then they ain't playing that defense they've been top-10 with for the last 8 years, and you'll see a lot of what you saw from them last year.

Last year, they did notably better against the more technical, finesse offensive lines (i.e. DEN Quentin Griffin 21-66), than against traditional inside-running teams (WAS Clinton Portis 29-148), or power-running teams like the Bills aspire to be (CAR Nick Goings 23-106, 33-127).

The key to the Bills is getting that Nick Goings-type effort from McGahee. Once the Bills start dictating to the Bucs, and they have to slide away from their base cover 2, then there will be opportunities for Losman to hurt them if he can take advantage. That, I think, is the one scenario where this won't be a close game.

8 in the box is not what the Bucs do. They've been playing Dungy-Kiffin's cover 2 for forever, as Bucs fans are fond of pointing out, i.e., "#2 defense for the past 2 years? get back to us when you've had a top-10 defense for 8. you haven't proven anything."

This of course, after pointing out that last year's season-ending tear means nothing. Oh well. They're challenged. Ok, back to topic:

The cover 2 is all about not giving up the big play over the top, and the way Tampa implements it involves speedy undersized guys up front swarming to the ball to take away the run.

Now, the one matchup that doesn't necessarily favor Tampa is a power inside running game. Derrick Brooks could run a 4.1, but that don't mean jack if a) he's not chasing the play, and b) he's got a hat on him. Running wide sweeps and screens would play to their strengths, running inside and trapping plays to ours, and don't think MM and TC don't know that. You can only move so many bodies over so much space in so much time on those quick hitters. If TB is forced to move their safeties forward, then they ain't playing that defense they've been top-10 with for the last 8 years, and you'll see a lot of what you saw from them last year.

Last year, they did notably better against the more technical, finesse offensive lines (i.e. DEN Quentin Griffin 21-66), than against traditional inside-running teams (WAS Clinton Portis 29-148), or power-running teams like the Bills aspire to be (CAR Nick Goings 23-106, 33-127).

The key to the Bills is getting that Nick Goings-type effort from McGahee. Once the Bills start dictating to the Bucs, and they have to slide away from their base cover 2, then there will be opportunities for Losman to hurt them if he can take advantage. That, I think, is the one scenario where this won't be a close game.

442743[/snapback]

Great post! Bravo

442743[/snapback]

Great post! I agree and look forward to Willis and the O-line dictating how this game goes.

442743[/snapback]

Great post Rolanzo