John Clayton's 1st and 10 take on Bills vs. Bucs

BillsObserver

As per his column "1st and 10" on espn.com

2. Buffalo Bills at Tampa Bay Buccaneers | Scouting report

Figure this one to be a low-scoring game. The Bills have a great defense and a young quarterback, J.P. Losman. The Bucs frustrated Vikings quarterback Daunte Culpepper last week. Losman is years way from being in Culpepper's league, even though he has the talent to do it. The Bucs will cause different problems for the Bills than they did the Vikings. The Bucs pressured Culpepper with rushes and stunts in the middle of the line. This will be the first big test for Bills left tackle Mike Gandy. He draws Bucs defensive end Simeon Rice. If Gandy isn't up to the challenge, this could be a three sack game for Rice and cause serious problems for Losman. Bills coach Mike Mularky will try to protect Losman by running the ball with Willis McGahee, but it's important the Bills have the lead in the second half. If Losman has to drop back and bring the team from behind, he could be in trouble.

Not much more than what's been discussed on here.

That Gandy v. Rice battle does scare me a bit. Did you see what Rice did on their splash page? hehe. Seriously, I hope Gandy holds his own.

He forgot to mention that the Vikings are overrated on offense but the Bucs deserve their props considering they did take on a more potent offense than we did. Unless our D was just THAT darn good.

Clayton has always had weird takes on Bills games and players. In the middle of last season he insisted that Travis Henry was still the better running back and would return as the starter on WGR.

In the preseason I had this marked as the only sure-fire W in the first 4 games for the Bills...

...however, that was before the Bucs went into Minny and dominated...

So I tend to agree with Clayton's comments. I don't fear the Bucs offense at all, but if the Bills don't get some better production in the redzone this week, then it might be a long day for the Offense.

The key to the game is to get up early (big surprise) like Clayton said so that JP isn't forced to win the game in the 2nd half.

I still think the Bills win this game, though it isn't as certain as I thought it was only 2 weeks ago...

Guest BackInDaDay
Losman is years away from being in Culpepper's league

442223[/snapback]

If by this, Clayton means that JP has several productive years ahead of him before stumbling into the twilight of football dreams deferred, right on.

The Vikes have garbage for an offense. They traded away their only offensive weapon in Moss. I told several here that Burleson wasn't a #1 WR, and given that, their lack of a running game, and a weak O-line, and you get what you saw last weekend. I mean, does ANYONE think the Vikes have a good offense, or would have had a good one?

Guest BackInDaDay
The Vikes have garbage for an offense.  They traded away their only offensive weapon in Moss.  I told several here that Burleson wasn't a #1 WR, and given that, their lack of a running game, and a weak O-line, and you get what you saw last weekend.  I mean, does ANYONE think the Vikes have a good offense, or would have had a good one?

442264[/snapback]

They might with JP.

I've heard this said over and over: "the Vikings have a lack of a running game." I don't think that's true. In fact, I'm willing to bet they either were in the top 5 or led the league in rushing yards last year w/their same line and same running backs. I believe they have a great running attack--how much of their success running the ball depended on having the threat of Moss...well, that's another matter.

I've heard this said over and over: "the Vikings have a lack of a running game." I don't think that's true. In fact, I'm willing to bet they either were in the top 5 or led the league in rushing yards last year w/their same line and same running backs. I believe they have a great running attack--how much of their success running the ball depended on having the threat of Moss...well, that's another matter.

442281[/snapback]

Ok but you'd lose that bet.

Team Offense

|----- RUSHING -----| TOTAL

ATT YD YPA TD YD

387 1823 4.71 8 6577

NFL rank 28 18 2 29 3

Now tell me out of these rb's who would you take over Willis Mcgahee

Running Backs

+----------------------+----+-----------------------+----------------------+

| Name | G | RSH YARD AVG TD | REC YARD AVG TD |

+----------------------+----+-----------------------+----------------------+

| Michael Bennett | 11 | 70 276 3.9 1 | 21 207 9.9 1 |

| Mewelde Moore | 10 | 65 379 5.8 0 | 27 238 8.8 0 |

| Larry Ned | 16 | 0 0 0.0 0 | 1 9 9.0 0 |

| Onterrio Smith | 11 | 124 544 4.4 2 | 36 394 10.9 2 |

| Moe Williams | 14 | 30 161 5.4 3 | 21 233 11.1 1

The Vikings have a nice stable of running backs, but they lack a true feature back and have since Robert Smith retired, and to some extent you could say he was helped out by having chris carter and randy moss. Michael Bennett just might be the softest back in the nfl. I've never seen him break a tackle in his carrerr. Moe Williams is a nice short yardage back, but far from a feature back. Mewelde Moore is a solid 3rd down back with very good hands, and quick, but once again not someone who can get 20-25 carries a game for 16 game season. Onterrio Smith might be that guy but due to his whizzanator and Tice's infatuation with Michael Bennett we'll never find that out. The Vikings do not have a running game. Any semblence of a running game by Minnesota is directly related to Randy Moss's presence on the field.

Figure this one to be a low-scoring game. The Bills have a great defense and a young quarterback, J.P. Losman. The Bucs frustrated Vikings quarterback Daunte Culpepper last week. Losman is years way from being in Culpepper's league, even though he has the talent to do it.

Yeah...but look who Culpepper's throwing to. Nate Burleson? Marcus Robinson? :) Losman may be years away from Culpepper's league...but his targets are years beyond Culpepper's. Ditto the running game...Michael Bennett vs. Willis McGahee? Culpepper's got a LONG season in front of him...I'd expect him to struggle against a good defense.

The Bucs will cause different problems for the Bills than they did the Vikings. The Bucs pressured Culpepper with rushes and stunts in the middle of the line.  This will be the first big test for Bills left tackle Mike Gandy. He draws Bucs defensive end Simeon Rice.

THAT'S what scares me. Inexperienced QB, line like a sieve, rushes and stunts up the middle, Gandy blocking Rice? :blush: Ultimately, this'll probably come down to one thing: not individual match-ups and execution, but game-planning away from Tampa's strengths and Buffalo's weaknesses. If Mularkey and company do that well, the Bills have a good chance. If not...they don't.

I am disappointed that Clayton only looks at what the Bills will have to deal with on offense. He does'nt even mention what the Buccaneers offense has coming at them.

Does Clayton think that the Bucs offense will have it any easier on offense? We all know that Jon Gruden is a good offensive minded coach, but lets be serious, is anyone here on this board more concerned about Brian Griese than they were last week about David Carr? I'm not. Also, after how the Bills handled both Andre Johnson & Domanick Davis last week, Carnell Williams & Michael Clayton do'nt exactly worry me all that much.

I'm not overconfident, but I have lots of faith in the Bills defense. Yes the offense will be tested, and this could be a low scoring game. Right now I think the Bills are the better team and I think they will win convincingly this Sunday.

He doesn't watch the Bills so what would he know?

The Vikes don't have a running game to speak of.  If they're backs aren't injured, they're in jail for something or other.  Plus, they still don't have a defense.  Yet.

442237[/snapback]

Uh, their running back ran for 148 yards opening day.

Ok but you'd lose that bet.

Team Offense

|----- RUSHING -----|  TOTAL

ATT  YD    YPA  TD    YD 

387  1823  4.71  8    6577

NFL rank  28      18    2      29      3

442292[/snapback]

since the formatting doesn't translate very well, basically what this says is that the vikings had the #3 offense in total, but only the #18 rushing attack (and that INCLUDES culpepper's scrambles).

minnesota has a crappy running game. and they lost their starting center (birk) before the season started.

in other words, it is far more impressive that the bills shut down domanick davis than it is that tampa did not allow minnesota's "rushing attack" to present a challenge.

since the formatting doesn't translate very well, basically what this says is that the vikings had the #3 offense in total, but only the #18 rushing attack (and that INCLUDES culpepper's scrambles).

minnesota has a crappy running game.  and they lost their starting center (birk) before the season started.

in other words, it is far more impressive that the bills shut down domanick davis than it is that tampa did not allow minnesota's "rushing attack" to present a challenge.

442345[/snapback]

The 2nd ranked 4.71 yards per carry doesn't seem too bad. It might be because the opposing defenses were game planning to deal with Moss, though.

Don't underestimate the impact losing Matt Birk has had on Minnesota's offense, especially in the short term. The center calls most of the protections, calls out stunts etc. Birk was a very good center and will not be easily replaced.

Simeon Rice needs to split way out at end in order to get pressure. That puts the bulk of the pressure in Sunday's game on Bennie Anderson. Gandy will immediately be sliding out wide to get to Rice, Anderson will have to handle McFarland or whomever is over him and also be on the lookout for blitzers shooting the gap created by Rice's wide split. If Anderson has a good game and can maul the DT we can run off left tackle all day long. I'd look for a lot of traps and draws to the left side. Rice will run himself out of the play and Shelton will be up against a smaller linebacker. I like that matchup. If Anderson gets pushed around that hole closes and Willis won't be able to run wide because of Rice.

As per his column "1st and 10" on espn.com

Figure this one to be a low-scoring game. The Bills have a great defense and a young quarterback, J.P. Losman. The Bucs frustrated Vikings quarterback Daunte Culpepper last week. Losman is years way from being in Culpepper's league, even though he has the talent to do it. The Bucs will cause different problems for the Bills than they did the Vikings. The Bucs pressured Culpepper with rushes and stunts in the middle of the line. This will be the first big test for Bills left tackle Mike Gandy. He draws Bucs defensive end Simeon Rice. If Gandy isn't up to the challenge, this could be a three sack game for Rice and cause serious problems for Losman. Bills coach Mike Mularky will try to protect Losman by running the ball with Willis McGahee, but it's important the Bills have the lead in the second half. If Losman has to drop back and bring the team from behind, he could be in trouble.

Not much more than what's been discussed on here.

That Gandy v. Rice battle does scare me a bit. Did you see what Rice did on their splash page? hehe. Seriously, I hope Gandy holds his own.

He forgot to mention that the Vikings are overrated on offense but the Bucs deserve their props considering they did take on a more potent offense than we did. Unless our D was just THAT darn good.

Clayton has always had weird takes on Bills games and players. In the middle of last season he insisted that Travis Henry was still the better running back and would return as the starter on WGR.

442223[/snapback]

Listen, I've said it before and I'll say it again, discount everything this guy says when it comes to the Bills.I have no idea if something happened between them at ESPN, or if TD gave Clayton some wrong info on draft day, or whatever, but this feud escalted big time right before and during the draft last year. Clayton came right out and siad the Shelton_Henry trade was a done deal, then went on a rampage saying what an idiot TD was for not making the str8 up trade. Donahue then came back with a barb directly aimed at Clayton when Shelton was released, and Clayton has had a hard on about it since.

If we enter week 15 and Gandy has not allowed a sack, Clayton will still say in columns that the opposing DE has the opportunity to get three sacks. He just cannot let it go, and it has lost any credibility in my eyes.

What's not being mentioned in this whole "bucs beat up on Vikes" business is that Gruden is a genius and Tice is a blockhead. I don't think it's much of a surprise that the Vikes had their asses handed to them. Mularkey's staff will have the Bills much better prepared. I'd bet the Bills.