US Becoming a Nation of Pansies

boomerjamhead

I was tasting last week in Paso Robles at some of the usual suspects (L'Aventure, Summerwood, Linne Calodo, Eberle, etc.) and a friend along for the barrel tastings asked if we could stop at the J Lohr property. I've never formed much of an opinion about their products before this past Satruday but I must say the 10-15 buck varietals they are putting in the Cypress label are suprisingly consistent and very representative of the grapes, especially the Shiraz and Cab offerings. Also they had an Estate Cab from "Hilltop" vineyard that was a full on knockout, but at a lot higher price point.

Considering I had no intention of cellaring any wines from J Lohr as I got to Paso, I have a surprising number of them in my possession right now. I would highly recommend picking up some of the Cypress Cabs or Shiraz and you should find very drinkable wines right now that will rival cousins in the 30-40 dollar range for about a third the cost.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can we get some Suggestions???

441548[/snapback]

Here are a few.

CRISTIA COTES DU RHONE 2004 $9.99 - not from the tasting but an incredible wine. 100% Grenache which I'm really beginning to like. Young but VERY drinkable now.

TIEFENBRUNNER LAGREIN CASTEL TURNHOF 2003 $15.99 - Yes it's Italian from the northern region of Alo Adige where they speak alot of German. It's made from the Lagrein grape, yeah, never heard of it either. But good stuff!

LUIGI EINAUDI DOLCETTO DI DOGLIANI 2003 $13.99 - Dark, berry filled wine. I'm a big fan of dolcetto. And how can you not like a wine by a guy named Luigi? A very zinfandel like wine.

TOBIN JAMES "BALLISTIC" ZINFANDEL 2003 $18.00 - Also not from the tasting. If you like zin, this stuff is fantastic. Tobin is from Paso Robles and was left out of "Sideways" which is a good thing. My movie review is another post. Jammy, jammy, jammy and a hell of a kick at 15.8% (I think, can't remember too much after that bottle). Awesome stuff!

Here are a few. 

CRISTIA COTES DU RHONE 2004 $9.99 - not from the tasting but an incredible wine.  100% Grenache which I'm really beginning to like.  Young but VERY drinkable now. 

TIEFENBRUNNER LAGREIN CASTEL TURNHOF 2003 $15.99 - Yes it's Italian from the northern region of Alo Adige where they speak alot of German.  It's made from the Lagrein grape, yeah, never heard of it either.  But good stuff!

LUIGI EINAUDI DOLCETTO DI DOGLIANI 2003 $13.99 - Dark, berry filled wine.  I'm a big fan of dolcetto.  And how can you not like a wine by a guy named Luigi?  A very zinfandel like wine.

TOBIN JAMES "BALLISTIC" ZINFANDEL 2003 $18.00 - Also not from the tasting.  If you like zin, this stuff is fantastic.  Tobin is from Paso Robles and was left out of "Sideways" which is a good thing. My movie review is another post.  Jammy, jammy, jammy and a hell of a kick at 15.8% (I think, can't remember too much after that bottle).  Awesome stuff!

441591[/snapback]

Thanks for the help, and now we have offically turned this thread 180 degrees.

Thanks for the help, and now we have offically turned this thread 180 degrees.

441599[/snapback]

I think I've gravitated more to wine as I've gotten a bit older.

I used to be strictly beer. Well, beer and some liquor.

Oh hell, if it's got alcohol in it, I'll drink it!

:)

TOBIN JAMES "BALLISTIC" ZINFANDEL 2003 $18.00 - Also not from the tasting.  If you like zin, this stuff is fantastic.  Tobin is from Paso Robles and was left out of "Sideways" which is a good thing. My movie review is another post.  Jammy, jammy, jammy and a hell of a kick at 15.8% (I think, can't remember too much after that bottle).  Awesome stuff!

441591[/snapback]

Toby is a real piece of work- the best marketing operation in the business AFAIC.

Keep your calendar open for my wine festival next year, tickets are on me.

Vino

Seeing I no longer drink beer I have a question.  Does the exact same labeled beer, and I'm talking the quality stuff, taste the same from year to year?  Are they trying to replicate it?  Because with wine it's all mother nature.  The same BOTTLE tastes different from when you open it.  Let it breath 10 minutes.  Let it breath an hour.  Taste it the next day.  Let it age, drink it young, taste what's behind the tannins.  Try the same varietal but one year difference and it can be completely different.  That's the fun in wine.

441555[/snapback]

A good beer you let age, just like wine. As BillsFanNC mentioned, you will see the taste improve with age. Opening is the same as wine. You need to serve it at the right temperature (just like wine). You also use hourglass shaped glasses and keep the level below the middle of the glass. This helps to trap the aroma within the glass, instead of letting it escape like it would in a pilsner glass. Letting it sit will have an effect.

As far as year to year, it depends on the ingredients used (just like wine). Bad ingredients will give you a bad beer. Quality beer is brewed to taste the same from year to year, but you will probably see subtle differences. A lot of that is more a function of conditions during brewing, fermenting, aging, transport and storage. The ingredients are controlled as best as possible.

Basically, what I am saying is that it is very similar to wine. Whatever you do with wine, you can apply to beer.

Toby is a real piece of work- the best marketing operation in the business AFAIC.

Vino

441612[/snapback]

I am all over that! But I looked at Pine Mt on the map. Will you provide the helicopter to to get in? :)

Vino

441612[/snapback]

Thanks for that post...I found This in there. As a fan of Italian wine varietals, I'll have to check it out.

Anyone here brew their own mead?

The commercial meads I've bought are HORRIBLE, nothing like the homemade stuff.

I'd like to try it once I live in a larger space.

Any experience would be appreciated.

441641[/snapback]

sweet as honey , that's me

Anyone here brew their own mead?

The commercial meads I've bought are HORRIBLE, nothing like the homemade stuff.

I'd like to try it once I live in a larger space.

Any experience would be appreciated.

441641[/snapback]

There was an article in this past weekend's LA Times or OC Register about home winemaking. A guy made his own pomegranate mead. Sounded easy with a huge kick. I was thinking of trying the recipe myself. It was honey, pomegranate juice, and yeast I think. Very simple but he said it was very good.

There was an article in this past weekend's LA Times or OC Register about home winemaking.  A guy made his own pomegranate mead.  Sounded easy with a huge kick.  I was thinking of trying the recipe myself.  It was honey, pomegranate juice, and yeast I think.  Very simple but he said it was very good.

441657[/snapback]

you want to try me this weekend ???? :):)

Thanks for that post...I found This in there. As a fan of Italian wine varietals, I'll have to check it out.

441637[/snapback]

Pascal Mastantuono is an interesting character. His Tasting Room is like some Robin Hood Hunting Lodge and he regularly does Wild Boar Roasts, etc. on his property.

I'm a huge Brunello fan but as far as the other sangioveses I've never gotten excited. Anything from the Barossa though and I'm all ears-