bad cork question

Pete

I finished a Bordeaux and tried to open up a Cab and the cork disintegrated.  Is the wine still good?  How the hell do I remove the rest of the cork?  Any tips appreciated

435476[/snapback]

Hate when that happens.

I've had luck in the past, by slipping a very narrow parring knife

between the cork and bottle. Gives you a little something to work

with. Just don't push the cork in.

Let me know it turns out.

The polymer corks are the wave of the future.  They are far superior although some purists are holding out

435530[/snapback]

The jury is still out on this, and will be for a LONG time. No one really knows what effect the polymer cork will have on the wine. You must realize that first growth Bordeaux are aged for 20-40 year and much longer. Screw tops are going to be the best way to keep wine out of contact with the air.

Thanks for the tips!  I tried the paring knife method but could not get enough leverage.  I ended up pushing the cork in.  The wine didnt taste right.  Oh well- I have other bottles.  Thanks

435493[/snapback]

Sorry about that.

I show up for a Bills game every year. If we hook up, I'm

sure we can find you something without a cork. :D

Peace.

The Chilean Cab's cork was dry- the Bordeaux was delicious

435544[/snapback]

I picked up two cases of wine yesterday for $80. Mostly nice red wine from 2001-2004; all look to be well "corked". :D

After finishing most of a bottle of Chilean Shiraz tonight, I am pretty well corked myself. :devil:

Strain the wine through an old sock when you pour, to catch the pieces of cork. Then enjoy the wine, you corksocker.

435483[/snapback]

True story... I had a friend who had a summer job at a winery... His job was to soak the new corks before bottling (apparently they soak them to soften them up?). For two summers he was a corksoaker.