Astrodome...

I know there are much bigger concerns right now, but MSNBC just showed people in the Astrodome and stated that as many as 24,000 will be living there for up to THREE MONTHS.

OK, that alone is mind boggling, but they also said they will get three square meals a day, there will be a nursery for the babies, and the school aged children will be going to Houston schools.

My questions just deal with the logistics of all of this.

1) How do you feed 24,000 people in a space that small 3 times a day?

2) How do you prevent these people from becoming stir crazy and doing someting stupid? (rioting?)

3) How the hell do you let these people shower? If you have 24,000 people in an enclosed space, and they aren't showering on a regular basis, that has health concern written all over it.

1) Homeless shelters do that all the time. *I* don't know how it's done, but others who have experience do.

2) People aren't prisoners in the dome (I don't think...) They can go out and about during the day to prevent going stir crazy. According to some here, movie theaters and such should be giving them free tickets because it's the right thing to do :blink:

3) The Astrodome has showers... I'm guessing they'll let people shower in the locker rooms. I'm guessing that there will be some sort of system for getting people through, but I don't know what it is. Again, the people doing it have experience with this sort of thing I think.

CW

This country never ceases to amaze me.  The fact that we can actually do something with these evacuated people and even talk about getting the kids back to school makes me proud to be a part of this great country.  And yet people will still B word about something.

425806[/snapback]

Amen...

Steve, the Army has portable showers it can bring in. Not the greatest things in the world but they do the job.

I know there are much bigger concerns right now, but MSNBC just showed people in the Astrodome and stated that as many as 24,000 will be living there for up to THREE MONTHS.

OK, that alone is mind boggling, but they also said they will get three square meals a day, there will be a nursery for the babies, and the school aged children will be going to Houston schools.

My questions just deal with the logistics of all of this.

2) How do you prevent these people from becoming stir crazy and doing someting stupid? (rioting?)

3) How the hell do you let these people shower? If you have 24,000 people in an enclosed space, and they aren't showering on a regular basis, that has health concern written all over it.

425788[/snapback]

What about laundry, its one thing to shower, but a clean pair of undies makes it a good shower!

Amen...

Steve, the Army has portable showers it can bring in.  Not the greatest things in the world but they do the job.

425825[/snapback]

There is a portable shower sitting in a field here in NN, Va that has been here since hurricane Isabell. That was two years ago.

Well, during a game, they're used to feeding 70k, so I don't think that'll be a problem.

I certainly wouldn't want to be 'confined' like that for a month or more. I would assume they're not 'confined' per se (i.e. not quarantined(sp?)) and are free to leave. Problem is, they don't have any place to go or anything to do. Stir crazy is certainly an issue, but I wouldn't think that's the situation would promote riotous activity.

Good question of which I can only speculate. 1st, they don't need to shower once a day like most of us have the luxury of doing. However, since they are not French (although N.O. does have a large %age of French speaking people, doesn't it :blink: ) it is reasonable to try to have accomodations for them to shower once or twice a week. Much like there's porto-potties, it's reasonable to assume they could set up adequate, make-shift facilities.

For math, assume they need to have 49,000 total showers a week, or 7000/day.

Allowing for 4 showers/hour/stall, that equates to 1750 'shower units'. That's attainable w/ perhaps 100 stalls. Is that unreasonable capacity? (I'm assuming that fits w/in the municipalities capabilities although it might cause a temporarily strain.)

You fill airplanes with food and drop it on their heads...  :blink:

425821[/snapback]

WOW... that post wasn't predictable coming from you.

Dropping bottles of water to people who are literally dying of thirst is not a brainbuster compared to how you would provide showers for 24,000 people in a facilty that only has showers for two baseball teams.

But again, explain to me how dropping water to the people who are DYING is so hard...

For math, assume they need to have 49,000 total showers a week, or 7000/day.

Allowing for 4 showers/hour/stall, that equates to 1750 'shower units'.  That's attainable w/ perhaps 100 stalls.  Is that unreasonable capacity?  (I'm assuming that fits w/in the municipalities capabilities although it might cause a temporarily strain.)

425841[/snapback]

*shudders*

Imagine the gangrenous foot-funugs outbreaks?

:blink:

*shudders*

Imagine the gangrenous foot-funugs outbreaks?

:blink:

425846[/snapback]

Wear your flip-flops. <_<

It's too bad all of these people don't have family elsewhere in the U.S.

If I knew someone who normally lived in NO, they'd be staying with me right now, no questions asked.

But again, explain to me how dropping water to the people who are DYING is so hard...

425844[/snapback]

Have you seen a heavy drop pallet come in? They come down hard and usually break on impact. Bottled water would burst all over the place. That's not to say you couldn't put it in a water buffalo or another type of container and parachute it into a drop zone somewhere. Like I said in my post in the other thread, preparing pallets for heavy drop takes time. It would be faster to fly it in and truck it to them.

This country never ceases to amaze me.  The fact that we can actually do something with these evacuated people and even talk about getting the kids back to school makes me proud to be a part of this great country.  And yet people will still B word about something.

425806[/snapback]

Agreed

WOW... that post wasn't predictable coming from you.

Dropping bottles of water to people who are literally dying of thirst is not a brainbuster compared to how you would provide showers for 24,000 people in a facilty that only has showers for two baseball teams.

425844[/snapback]

Is there any wonder why so many people have the desire to choke the crap out of you?

Instead of declaring yourself as a know it all - why don't you go find the answer yourself? Are you so arrogant that you think no one in the entire power structure of the state of LA, the Feds, or the Red Cross hasn't thought of that? Are you the smartest person ion the world now and that everyone else is so friggin' dumb that they couldn't come up with "just drop them pallets of water"???

Why don't you start seeking some knowledge instead of spouting off about what you don't know?

Is there any wonder why so many people have the desire to choke the crap out of you?

Instead of declaring yourself as a know it all - why don't you go find the answer yourself?  Are you so arrogant that you think no one in the entire power structure of the state of LA, the Feds, or the Red Cross hasn't thought of that? Are you the smartest person ion the world now and that everyone else is so friggin' dumb that they couldn't come up with "just drop them pallets of water"???

Why don't you start seeking some knowledge instead of spouting off about what you don't know?

425879[/snapback]

Easy there big guy. He's just as concerned as the rest of us.