(LAMP)Attention Big Beer Lovers!!!

The Poojer

25% abv! That's one big beer! They just raised the limit that can be brewed or sold in NC to 15% so this one won't be available here. Not that I care though, I'm just happy that I can pick up a bottle of Chimay or Duvel on the way home from work now if I want.

25% abv!  That's one big beer!  They just raised the limit that can be brewed or sold in NC to 15% so this one won't be available here.  Not that I care though, I'm just happy that I can pick up a bottle of Chimay or Duvel on the way home from work now if I want.

424562[/snapback]

What is the biggest beer you have brewed?

BTW, my American Amber turned out well.

What is the biggest beer you have brewed?

BTW, my American Amber turned out well.

424604[/snapback]

I made a dopplebock last year that was in the 10% range. A few years ago I brewed a Belgian Abbey ale that was about 9%. The Belgian turned out fantastic because I cultured the yeast from a Chimay bottle to ferment it with. When the weather gets cooler a few of my fellow homebrewers and I are planning a "monster brew" session. That is the beer you brew has to be above 10% abv. Right now I'm leaning towards an Imperial Pilsner for that.

Great to hear you are enjoying your first home-brewed beer. Now that you have the bug, what's next in line to brew?

I made a dopplebock last year that was in the 10% range.  A few years ago I brewed a Belgian Abbey ale that was about 9%.  The Belgian turned out fantastic because I  cultured the yeast from a Chimay bottle to ferment it with.  When the weather gets cooler a few of my fellow homebrewers and I are planning a "monster brew" session.  That is the beer you brew has to be above 10% abv.  Right now I'm leaning towards an Imperial Pilsner for that.

Great to hear you are enjoying your first home-brewed beer.  Now that you have the bug, what's next in line to brew?

424625[/snapback]

Hopefully, Belgian trippel this weekend.

Once I get a little more experience, I will go for the Chimay clone.

So lemme get this straight...they will sell this stuff in florida, correct? They are going to sell a 25% abv beer in the state where you cant buy a 40?

424581[/snapback]

It will not be sold in Florida and will carry a starting price tag elsewhere of $100 before beer nuts start bidding for the limited edition of 8,500 bottles.

Also, homebrewers - what kind of space do you need for something like that?  My feeling is that there's no way to pull it off in an apartment, but I'm hoping that's not the case.

424894[/snapback]

To brew beer? A five-gallon bucket. To brew 8500 bottles, obviously you need a bigger bucket.

go to your local grocery store and ask them for their plastic buckets that the donut fillings come in, that is food grade 5 gallon bucket, get a large kettle and you have a brewery set up!

which makes, I'd imagine, five gallons - certainly plenty.  For some reason I just envisioned huge fermenting units or something.  Obviously, I'll start doing some of my own research.

424925[/snapback]

which makes, I'd imagine, five gallons - certainly plenty.  For some reason I just envisioned huge fermenting units or something.  Obviously, I'll start doing some of my own research.

424925[/snapback]

More beer

Homebrew adventures

The above are two great online homebrew shops. Browse the forums at either one and you'll learn a lot.

You can easily brew in an apartment. I did for years.

not necessary, proper santitization is required, not sterilization and there are plenty of sanitizing products, including bleach that work perfectly well. go cheap!

Since proper sterilization is required, I'd be inclined to buy one of the many, specifically-designed kits that are widely available.  IIRC they're not very expensive...dunno for sure.

425323[/snapback]