The Official Katrina Aftermath Thread

PTS

If 80% is the estimate of people that evacuated, my

Catholic math estimates that 96,000 people stayed for

one reason or another.

424454[/snapback]

Subtract tthe 10,000 in who took shelter in the Superdome and that leaves 86,000 folks left in the flood waters. Thats pretty scary numbers and I believe the death toll could easily climb into the thousands.

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Subtract tthe 10,000 in who took shelter in the Superdome and that leaves 86,000 folks left in the flood waters.  Thats pretty scary numbers and I believe the death toll could easily topple the 1,000 mark.

424457[/snapback]

It is going to be thousands. My co-worker just talked to his aunt who is a nurse there and got stranded in an apartment complex. As the bodies drifted by them in the streets, they would try to snag them and tie them to light poles until someone could take them away. This is just at one intersection.

Sad...sad.....sad.

The folks in the Superdome are heading to the Astrodome. I'm a little puzzled by the statement in bold...

NEW ORLEANS - At least 25,000 of Hurricane Katrina's refugees, a majority of them at the New Orleans Superdome, will travel in a bus convoy to Houston and will be sheltered at the Astrodome, which hasn't been used for professional sporting events in years.

ADVERTISEMENT

click here

Evacuees with special problems already have been evacuated to hospitals in other Louisiana cities, but the 23,000 people now confined to the stuffy, smelly Superdome, as well as some other refugees will go to Houston, about 350 miles away.

The marathon bus convoy should take two days, officials said.

"Our view is the move to the Astrodome is temporary," said William Lokey, chief coordinator for the

Federal Emergency Management Agency. "We're buying time until we can figure something out."

Ann Williamson, secretary of the Louisiana Department of Social Services who is working on the evacuation plans, said, "The remarkable offer from Texas did not have an end date."

FEMA will provide 475 buses for the transfer, and the Astrodome's schedule has been cleared through December for housing evacuees, said Kathy Walt, a spokeswoman for Texas Gov. Rick Perry.

I didn't realize the Astrodome was still being used? :doh:

You are so right.  What amazes me is that there is an economy in NO and still in sad shape.  The years of corruption, graff and what not hasn't helped it... It strong Catholic roots and poverty is something out of Mexico.

Was it that economy that needed to protect that city at ALL COST.  It certainly didn't and failed.  It was a life and death issue there... Unlike few other cities... NO has got to feel cheated?

I am not really trying to be offensive... It leads me back to geography or location... Is there a lot less sympathy for people in warm climates?

424391[/snapback]

I'm sure Buffalo feels cheated as well during blizzards. And Grand Forks did when downtown went up in flames while the Red River flooded it. Homestead and Dade County definitely felt cheated. Less affluent communities always feel cheated when something bad happens.

Link

My God...this gets worse almost by the minute.

Mike

424450[/snapback]

WTF?? Some people are animals.

Police officers were asking residents to give up any guns they had before they boarded buses and trucks because police desperately needed the firepower: Some officers who had been stranded on the roof of a motel said they were being shot at overnight.

Double Sh*t. Wife just called... she's trying to get gas because she's @ like 1/8th of a tank....

Every station she's passed has a line going out the driveway and down the street. Tells me there are police at stations keeping order. Hang on guys, here we go.

We're metro Atlanta.

The irritating thing... I'm sure we'll have enough gas here, this is the initial flood of what-if panic I'd argue.

A major US city underwater, gas prices are sky rocketing, and everbody seems to be getting into a panic. Does anybody know or hear if GW is planning to address the nation tonight or was coming back from vacation supposed to be enough to make us feel better.

424566[/snapback]

5:00 Eastern time is when the president is to speak to the nation.

A major US city underwater, gas prices are sky rocketing, and everbody seems to be getting into a panic. Does anybody know or hear if GW is planning to address the nation tonight or was coming back from vacation supposed to be enough to make us feel better.

424566[/snapback]

I'm sure he'll address the nation at some point. I just think his speech writers are just having a difficult time writing about an event of this magnitude while keeping word length to 5 letters or less so he can pronounce everything.

I'm sure he'll address the nation at some point. I just think his speech writers are just having a difficult time writing about an event of this magnitude while keeping word length to 5 letters or less so he can pronounce everything.

424578[/snapback]

Can't you put that crap away at a time like this???? You'll have another 3 years to have your fun. Give it a rest for at least a few days ok?

:doh:B-)

You'd think he could at least land a Prime time slot for something like this.

424582[/snapback]

Man, I feel bad for those folks but I think we're getting carried away with this story. Louisiana and Mississippi account for 2% of U.S. output...it's not like this is a "tune out the lights" national crisis, or even remotely on the scale of 9/11.

Man, I feel bad for those folks but I think we're getting carried away with this story.   Louisiana and Mississippi account for 2% of U.S. output...it's not like this is a "tune out the lights" national crisis, or even remotely on the scale of 9/11.

424594[/snapback]

Outside of the damaged areas, I'd have to agree. I'll pay a bit more for gas and suck it up. Lots of people just lost everything. The least I can do is not whine about $1 more per gallon.

This sucks - I *need* gas on the way home too. I'll need to sit in line with everyone else, I guess.

Can't you put that crap away at a time like this????  You'll have another 3 years to have your fun.  Give it a rest for at least a few days ok?

:doh:  B-)

424586[/snapback]

;) I had to, but thats all you'll hear from me regarding bush in this thread...i may not like Bush, but i am waiting to see how he handles this before i make any judgements...its tough to believe i know, but i am a person who is actually middle of the road politics wise...

Man, I feel bad for those folks but I think we're getting carried away with this story.  Louisiana and Mississippi account for 2% of U.S. output...it's not like this is a "tune out the lights" national crisis, or even remotely on the scale of 9/11.

424594[/snapback]

:doh:

On 9/11, we lost four planes and two buildings.

The country, for all practical purposes, just lost an entire city. Half a million refugees.

Yeah, it's not on the scale of 9/11. It's closer to the scale of the Indian Ocean tsunami.

Double Sh*t. Wife just called... she's trying to get gas because she's @ like 1/8th of a tank....

Every station she's passed has a line going out the driveway and down the street.  Tells me there are police at stations keeping order.  Hang on guys, here we go.

We're metro Atlanta.

The irritating thing... I'm sure we'll have enough gas here, this is the initial flood of what-if panic I'd argue.

424549[/snapback]

I just talked to my wife as well. One of her co-workers' husband is a police officer here in the Raleigh area. They have been told to be prepared to handle gas shortages in the area over the next week.

Outside of the damaged areas, I'd have to agree.  I'll pay a bit more for gas and suck it up. Lots of people just lost everything. The least I can do is not whine about $1 more per gallon.

This sucks - I *need* gas on the way home too. I'll need to sit in line with everyone else, I guess.

424598[/snapback]

I am not so much worried about the economic impact, but the human impact is staggering. I am 42, and I think this is by far the worst natural disaster that I can remember. I know we got hit in Richmond a couple years ago by a CAT 1 storm, and we were 120 miles inland, and this city was in rough shape for a week.

I just cant imagine what is going on down there. Not only are people losing their homes and possesions, but I gotta imagine that a good many of them have lost their income as well. I am a hard core liberterian/capitalist to the core, but damn these folks are gonna need our help!