The Official Katrina Aftermath Thread

PTS

I'm not in any way minimizing what happened down there.  But that tsunami killed almost a quarter of a million people.  A quarter of a million.

423855[/snapback]

Speaking in terms of aerial flood pattern, physical and structural damage.

But if Katrina had been as much a surprise as the tsunami and w/o the evacuation orders and the smooth execution of them (thank Ike for the interstates), we would be praying that it would only be a quarter million.

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking in terms of aerial flood pattern, physical and structural damage.

But if Katrina had been as much a surprise as the tsunami and w/o the evacuation orders and the smooth execution of them (thank Ike for the interstates), we would be praying that it would only be a quarter million.

423880[/snapback]

Yes, that's true. Infrastructure and advance warning were the only two things that kept this from exacting a similar, if not higher, death toll.

The ironic thing is that the infrastructure that helped people get out is going to make Katrina even costlier (in dollars) than the tsunami, because (a) the infrastructure needs to be rebuilt, and (b) it left many hundreds of thousands of living homeless people. Dead homeless people don't cost as much to take care of.

I just think that considering the sheer loss of human life in the tsunami, it's not really fair to mention the tsunami when talking about this disaster.

I hate to agree with JSP, but in this case..... Next time an earthquake splits some multisyllabic, multi vowel country, I would love to see our representative stand up at the podium and tell them that we will give as much aid and supplies as we received during the Katrina disaster.

423871[/snapback]

I sorta agree Guffalo... But, it makes it very hard to get "blood out of a stone." I will leave it at that.

We have the means, the burden is on us. This is quickly turning into a NATIONAL disaster and if we don't get our heads out of the sand it is going to be terrible, just terrible.

We need to pull our resources in now.

We are the burden country... Like it or not... You may disagree but, life goes on mostly in misery around the world... How much more worse can it get for them?

I wonder about the river barge traffic. I would imagine the delta port facilities are messed up. US export of grains will take a big hit if the problems halt the barges from getting to port and off-loading.

423904[/snapback]

The port of NO is the busiest in the country tonnage wise. A longer way to go around, but the Tenn-Tom waterway will put traffic out of Mobile Bay... Then again Mobile Bay is pretty torn up?

I assume they would transfer to rail? Until winter comes the Lakes system can swing into gear?

What can 3rd world countries send us that we don't already have?

We already have the most sophisticated equipment and resources to handle these kinds of emergencies.

I'd compare that to a bicycle trying to tow a broken down semi-trailer.

Refugees are trickling into Dallas right now. I do some volunteer work with the Red Cross and they are asking for help. I may have some house guests for a while.

We already have the most sophisticated equipment and resources to handle these kinds of emergencies.

Refugees are trickling into Dallas right now. I do some volunteer work with the Red Cross and they are asking for help. I may have some house guests for a while.

423921[/snapback]

How about a small token...a gesture of thanks? Hell even a WORD of support.

But there's none forthcoming because those greedy bastards are takers, not givers.

423921[/snapback]

So true aussie, so true.

May God bless you and grant you the strength to carry out your volunteer work!

:doh::D

Man Man Man. I just was watching the news there is a lady and her 20 year old daugther who is pregnant. trap in there house and her water bag has broke. the mother is sayin water is up to their knees and it's rapidly rising. she is sayin "we are going to die in here, please help us"

A lot of people didn't evacuate for 4 reasons:

1. They couldn't afford it.

2. They thought since they weathered Camille, Katrina would be no big deal.

3. ANIMALS! They couldn't bring animals to the shelters and didn't want to leave their loved pets behind.

4. They felt that they were far enough inland.

I have to mention the last one further. I went through Kiln, MS last month and there was an article stating that Brett Favre'e mother had to go to the attic because of the rising flood waters (this was 20 miles inland). So, in many cases it was like Sri Lanka even though the deaths aren't as high.

One other note, this is going to affect all of us. New Orleans is the 35th largest city in the country. The GDP lost is significant. If you work in your little factories that supply goods, the demand is going to drop on most products that you make which may result (not likely) but layoffs in the future. The other important thing is if that doesn't do you in, gas prices will. Even though Bush is releasing some of the reserves, New Orleans is one of the biggest oil producers in NA. Gas prices are going to kill those up there driving in their $7/hour jobs!

I'm not in any way minimizing what happened down there.  But that tsunami killed almost a quarter of a million people.  A quarter of a million.

423855[/snapback]

The tsunami also affected about 4000 miles of coastline. You pick any stretch of tsunami-hit coastline and compare it to the Gulfport or Biloxi shores, I think you'd be hard-pressed to see any significant difference.

I'd give his tantrum more credence if I knew he had experience in plugging 200-foot breaches in levees.  :P

424148[/snapback]

You forgot to add:

..."Should have never failed."

Like I said numerous times, I know the gutting the Corps has been going through.

Maybe this will open their eyes at HQUSACE.

This is the tip of the iceberg.