Film review of Green Bay game

Simon

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OMG get a clue man. Simon always backs his observations up with facts and if he's not sure on something, he says so. There are many of us here who DO know what were looking at most times (given our television broadcast view of the game since we can't get the Film) and Simon has proven to be very astute in these matters. You can't tell someone simply that they know nothing and expect that to be the end of it. Maybe you could refute his points with a single fact based observation of your own?

415828[/snapback]

Btw, Simon actually IS a defensive back.

Yeah, he still actually plays while I am sitting here listening to the new Poco CD I just picked up! :devil:

You know nothing about Clements or Evans blocking, or anything like that.

Yeah, it's really hard to figure out all of football's deep-seeded mysteries. Especially when they're on a great big television screen right in front of your eyes. :lol:

I am not reading much about Mike Williams. Maybe that is a good thing.

He was solid. Got beat to the outside once earlier but then later also showed an extremely fast and powerful double punch when he stopped the End cold and then still managed to pick up a blitzer off the edge in the blink of an eye. Neutralized both guys with alarming efficiency. He worked on his own most of the night and did his job effectively with little flare or fanfare.

he still actually plays

Plays, cheats...why pick nits. :devil:

My 2 cents:

1. Those were drops by Moulds, Reed and Evans. I can live with it from EM and LE, but if Roscoe doesn't get the #3 WR spot when he returns I'll be pretty disappointed. Reed has had plenty of chances and simply doesn't get it done. Simon's point about Reed not attacking the ball with his hands is well said. I would even take it a step further and say Reed doesn't catch the ball with just his hands, like a WR is supposed to -- he traps it against his body which results in more drops.

2. I thought JP looked pretty good vs the packers, esp. compared with Bledsoe last night. Good zip on the ball, good accuracy, good pocket awareness, great mobility. Definite improvement as compared with the 1st preseason game. It's still a long way until we can be confident in him as the man, but I like what I see so far.

3. Clements is going to have a huge year. Unfortunately, that will probably be the end for him here. Someone is going to give him a Champ Bailey offer and it isn't going to be TD.

4. The Bills' D can't give up 6 3rd-down conversions to the pack on one drive and go around comparing itself to the '85 bears.

5. Gandy looks pretty decent. I wouldn't be surprised if he is as effective as Jonas Jennings was last year, at about 20% of the cost. Another good move by TD.

That's all.

I've never made any comments about his positioning or turning the wrong way; when I mention him repeatedly turning his back to blocker I'm referring to his unwillingness to play physically and attack the blocker, NOT to him making mental mistakes within the defensive sceme. And just because the offense doesn't score or hit a huge gainer every time he shies from contact doesn't mean he's done his job properly. It could ce something as simple as him turning his back to a slotreceiver who is blocking him (which I have seen more than once), getting shoved upfield and allowing the RB to pick up 6 yrds straight ahead as opposed to being forced to turn it outside and run laterally for little or no gain becasue Posey simply took on the block and held his ground.

And if you want specific citations, I will tape a Bills game at some point during the first month of the season and prived specific examples of plays at times on down/distances to show you what I mean.

The doofuses in the media aren't interested in what happens between the lines. They're interested in somebody's hair, what kind of car they drive, what stars they hang out with and the brilliance of thier latest commercials; that's what makes them doofuses. And I do believe that oppocing co-ordinators made it a point to attack the left side of the Bills front7 on the ground, and had some success throughout the year doing so.

As for CD Nittam's post, it mainly deals with the Bills general defensive scheme and Posey's roile in it, not with any assessment of his individual play which is what concerns me. My problem is not with his awareness and/or positioning, but with his reluctance to play physical football like the rest of his teammates.

Given a tape I can site specific examples 'til the cows come home, but I did not tape any Bills games last year. And again the result of the offensive play is not what I lament, I'm frustrated with Posey individual ineffectiveness.

Basically my premise is that Posey doesn not support the run well, does not rush the passer well and does not cover well. He rarely ever wins his individual battle and I would just like the Bills to plug somebody in there who will give a more concerted effort and win his battle at a much greater rate. When the season starts I will tape a game (I'll tell you in advance so you can tape the same game if you like) and make my own concerted effort to review Posey's work and provied specific examples of his inadequate play which you can then disagree with.  :devil:

Cya

415827[/snapback]

Perhaps the difference is that while I do care about how individuals players perform I really only care to the extent it makes a difference in how the TEAM performs,

This is why I was interested in understanding the specific cases where that bad performance has meant points out on the board for the other team (the ultimate measure of success or failure by the D) or long gains for yards by the opponents which oftwn leads to them putting points on the board.

Though one needs to be careful about drawing to broad a conclusion on a single play (particularly from pre-season plays) I did love you siting particular plays like the Rodgers play or a TD pass from Farve being attributable to Posey failings. I plan to take a closer look and it is to be hoped learn a few things.

However, as far as looking at the real occurences last year, I'll take your word for it that Posey was turning his back (or out of position, didn't bend his knees properly when performing a pliette or whatever) however, these faults are relative meaningless to me if they do not result in bad results for the team.

I think it makes little difference how a player looks if the other team does not score points or gain yards. My sense of the performance of the Bills D last year (and in fact for the most part the last two years when Posey was starting 32 games for us and racking up a lot of PT as he, Fletcher and Spikes were gaining the rep as one of if not the best LB corps in the league, the D has given up far less than the average number of yards and points)

While how he looks makes little difference to me as long as the D suceeds in giving up far fewer points than the average and far fewer yards than the average, it does make a difference to me though if we can get better by having someone who did not turn his back (or had good positioning or whatever) who also was part of a D wih far better than average performance.

However, I see little evidence from his play that Stamer would be as good a performer as Posey has been and unless I read or remember what you said you were also not impressed with Stamer's position play.

Like I said, you clearly are a knowledgable dude so your word can be taken about Posey turning his back more than you feel he should. However, this observation seems to be fairly meaningless in terms of the D giving up ponts or as regards a general reference to givng up a 6 yard gain (which beyond debacles like in NE and the fatal game against Pitts did not happen that much last season fortunately).

Your observations regarding Posey on Rodgers and Farve are helpful and I look forward to your reviews of play the first quarter of the season.

For now, I see a bit more credence in the choice of Gray and the braintrust to use Posey a lot because that fits with the performance of the team last year and the explanation as to why the coaches seem to value him and why the D did perform last year makes sense rather than a concern about whether he turns his back too much burfirtunately we are still the #2 D in the league statistically.

>Ron Edwards sin't creating much push or penetration upfield, but he's moving laterallly better than I've ever seen him.

414971[/snapback]

I remember seeing Edwards cover some line on a couple of plays in the game but it looked to me he was pivoting and running North/South on both of them instead of running laterally East/West.

I haven't watched the DEs while keying on the interior but it has been impossible not to catch some of the good- and versatile- work Schobel has done so far.

I'm coming up short trying to remember the last time I saw a Bill's WR popping defenders downfield as effectively as Reed has been this pre-season, not to mention that he's become a specimin in the off-season. I never saw an angle of film that caught the stretch-out miss/tip.

I liked hearing this from the article linked on the front of TBD ( http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=391555 ):

The 2004 first-round draft pick has shown in three-plus weeks of camp and two preseason games that he's at least capable of taking over as the starter.

Coach Mike Mularkey said Tuesday he's "very happy" with Losman's performance.

"I think he's probably above where we thought he would be at this time," Mularkey said

Monkeyed with the clicker for a while this morning and came up with these:

>Ron Edwards sin't creating much push or penetration upfield, but he's moving laterallly better than I've ever seen him.

414971[/snapback]

Ron seems to be filling Pat's old role. While Sam seems to have clearance to rush in and cause havoc, Ron is staying put, plugging the middle, but does not look as stout as PW looked at the POA. As another poster mentioned, he seems to get twisted up a bit, taking away his power.

>EKing is the starting dimebacker for now, but is playing some nervous ball. He's so worried about giving up downfield completions that guys are working him underneath. This will be a problem since he's usually seeing the field only on 3rddown where he needs to protect the sticks, not the deep ball.
I'm very impressed that he looks anything other than completely outmatched at this point in his development. I'm quite impressed, and hope we keep him on our roster so we don't lose him.

>Saw the Bills using a little of what they used to call the Ruby package; the 3 safeties on teh field were Milloy, Vincent and Baker.
Not to steal Kelly tFBD's line, but do you know of any other personnel packages the Bills use/used? I'm trying to train my eye a bit more and would like some things to look for.

>Tim Anderson didn't look nearly as effective vs teh Pack as he did vs the Colts. Both Denney and Bannon did look pretty good against the Green Bay reserves.
I agree, TA seems to be in a bit over his head still, but seems to be making progress. I agree that boht Denney and Bannan looked good, definitely a notch above 2nd stringers.

>Geisinger and Jerman are both absolutely horrible and neither one of them can play in this league. I'm gettting a little worried about the Bills depth on the OLine.
>Bennie Anderson looks absolutely awful. If he doesn't show significant improvement very quickly I hope the Bills kick Duke Preston over to LG and give him some snaps with the starting unit as he's looked very good.
Anderson looked great against GB in the scrimmage (I was very surprised), but this did appear to be a step backwards for him. While I like what I've read about Preston, he has looked just only okay at RG with the second-stringers. I think he'd be grossly outmatched playing with the first team. While many people have suggested DP replacing Teague at center in different scenarios, it is actually #60 - Esposito that has played the center with the second string. Preston has taken rep's with the 3rd string each game, and hasn't looked as good. Esposito has PS written all over him.

>On the plus side it's a real treat to watch Teague and Vilarial working together; they are putting on a great show.
Agreed. Teague has earned some mention from TSW regulars, but usually: "hey your info's out of date, he doesn't look that bad anymore." Actually, he is now clearly one of our strongest points on the O-line. Kudos, Trey! I'm also surprised that TSW critics haven't jumped on Mike Williams more. In my opinion, Gandy has played better so far this preseason. I'm not too worried, as I'm hopeful MW is still getting into game shape (I do see improvement each week).

>I like Lee Evans' game, but if he wants to be a complete WR in this league, he must block. Maybe he's saving it for when the games count, which is fine, but he'll hurt this offense in the regular season if he doesn't put forth a more concerted effort.
In general, I've been very impressed with Evans' willingness to block downfield, but I doubt he'll ever be as good at it as Reed, who is much more physical. Did you see Evans whiff out there?

>A nod to Daimon SHelton who appears to have picked up right where he left off. No slow start for him this year.
Here, here. Shelton looked great and is an important part of this team. Yet I doubt fans of other teams, and some Bills fans, even know his name.

>Also a nod to Reshard Lee who in addition to the return and some good running, also flashed some agressive blocking and some heads up work on a broken play that JP took for a positive gain.
Lee did look quite good in this game... but where has he been? These were the only flashes I've seen from him, and I still think he and Burns are on verge of not making the team. These are big preseason games coming up for his career!

>Really liked what I saw of Aaron Schobel defending the groundgame; he was a definite force at the POA. On the other side Kelsay struggled a bit and was generally inefective all night.

Kelsay seems to struggle a bit when he has accountability for containment. He goes straight upfield a bit and stops, then doesn't have momentum to continue to the QB. When the Bills blitz, Posey usually blitzes outside him and takes this role whike he effectively pushes toward the pocket. I think this is one reason he looked so much better in the GB scrimmage and the Indi game.

Schobel has looked great, a cut above the other players on the field. I thought we over-extended by giving him that contract, but as he's playing now, he looks like he's worth every penny.

>When Donahoe/Modrak came on board I was really excited because I watched them work in Pburgh and figured they would get rid of any of the Bills shrinking violets (Price, Carpenter, etc). They did but there's still one guy out there driving me nuts and that continues to be Posey. It's bad enough when he's coming unblocked and then whiffing on 40yrold QB's twice (right before they throw TD's) or that rookie ARodgers can make him look like EddieRobinson, but I can't take much more of watching him run away from contact. For gawd's sakes he's turning his back on rookie TE's instead of taking them on and tip-toeing through the wash instead of busting people up. The guy does next to nothing for this defense and like to see somebody else at least get a shot. I'm not convinced Stamer is the answer and am not particular liking what I'm seeing from Haggan; I'd have no problem if the Bills kicked Crowell out to the strongside just to see what he could do there.

Posey is definitely a finesse player. I'm not sure I've ever seen him really bowl anyone over, except when he arrived at the QB unblocked. Posey does seem to make very good reads, however, and is a central player in the zone blitz. Here's more info on what I saw regarding Posey and the zone blitz. I don't think Stamer is close to replacing Posey on these plays, and the team is playing Denney in his place with the 2nd team.

>Another thing I wish this staff would do is let us see what Ritzman looks like against NFL starters. Not only are they giveing Schobel waaayyy more snaps than he needs, but they've got Gause in front of him on the depth chart even though Ritzman does nothing but make plays every time he gets on the field. Against GB he didn't even see the field 'til late and only got to play 2 drives yet still managed to get his hands on Packer QB's no less  than 5 different times. Give this kid a look earlier coach.....please!

Ritzmann's sacks agains GB were certainly gimme's. But, I agreee, he got to the QB enough, that he shows promise as a pass-rusher, but still seems out of place on running plays.

>I'm not convinced Reed dropped that fleaflicker, as the DB was diving for the ball before it came in and had an arm fully extended right in front of Josh. If he got a fingertip on it (which is entirely possible) I can't fault Reed for not pulling in a ball that was deflected directly in front of him. I know he's got the dropsies bad the last couple years, but he was by far the best blocking WR on the field last night and can be really effective converting 3rddowns. Between college and his rookie season I've seen enough that I'm not giving up on the kid yet.

Reed had a solid game, after being completely absence against Indi, where he should have been jockeying for the 3rd WR spot after Parrish went out. I also think the ball was tipped on a great defensive play in the endzone, so I don't read too much into that one play. I think if he has one more PS game like that he wil land a spot on the final roster (and if he becomes invisible agin, he's gone).

It doesn't matter what unit it is, or who's playing on it. Our ST's look absolutely dominant in all phases of the game. What a spectacular job by the Bills staff and front office. They might win us a couple games this year on thier own.

I think the over/under for games decided by ST's is at about 2.5 going into the year. While they might have a few TDs, the more important influence on the year-end win total will be the field position advantage, including the great kick coverage, which is likely to get the least attention.

Monkeyed with the clicker for a while this morning and came up with these:

>EKing is the starting dimebacker for now, but is playing some nervous ball. He's so worried about giving up downfield completions that guys are working him underneath. This will be a problem since he's usually seeing the field only on 3rddown where he needs to protect the sticks, not the deep ball.

>Saw the Bills using a little of what they used to call the Ruby package; the 3 safeties on teh field were Milloy, Vincent and Baker.

>Tim Anderson didn't look nearly as effective vs teh Pack as he did vs the Colts. Both Denney and Bannon did look pretty good against the Green Bay reserves.

>Coy Wire special of the night: He commited a flagrant clip on the puntreturn Haddad fumbled, which could have wiped out the penalty that bailed us out. Even worse, when he hit the guy from behind he blocked him directly into Haddad which was what actually forced the fumble. I like ya' Coy but you might be in some trouble when the Turk rolls around.

>Bennie Anderson looks absolutely awful. If he doesn't show significant improvement very quickly I hope the Bills kick Duke Preston over to LG and give him some snaps with the starting unit as he's looked very good.

>On the plus side it's a real treat to watch Teague and Vilarial working together; they are putting on a great show. Props also to Campbell whose work in the groundgame was very good: props also to the Bills staff for recognizing and hiding players' weaknesses as they didn't ask Campbell to passprotect at all last night, an areea in which he's really struggled.

>I like Lee Evans' game, but if he wants to be a complete WR in this league, he must block. Maybe he's saving it for when the games count, which is fine, but he'll hurt this offense in the regular season if he doesn't put forth a more concerted effort.

>A couple plays before JP's TD, McGahee took a vicious shot on the knee from the Packer strongside 'backer; one of those AWinfield style :I starred in Brokeback Mountain: tackles. If I had been watching live it would have scared the crap out of me, but Willis got right up.

>A nod to Daimon SHelton who appears to have picked up right where he left off. No slow start for him this year.

>Also a nod to Reshard Lee who in addition to the return and some good running, also flashed some agressive blocking and some heads up work on a broken play that JP took for a positive gain.

>Speaking of JP, he looked a little more skittish out there than he did vs the Colts. I won't harp on it because he got results but he is looking way too eager to leve the pocket, even at times when his OLine has put together a solid one for him. I do like what I'm seeing in the red zone and think the Bills can be far more efficient there than they were with Bledsoe. Also still impressed with his ability to feel pressure without seeing it and for the most part move to open space while keeping his head downfield; this maybe a result of all the practice he had doing at Tulane. Another thing I liked is that both times his receivers had drops (Evans and Reed) he went right back to them for first downs on the very next play; that's veteran football. On the negative side he really hung Moulds out to dry and owes him a sincere apology; that was an awful decision and somebody needs to make him aware of it. And I'm not agreeing with all this talk about him needing to learn to slide. He did get caught once in the COlts game where he should have gone down but in the Green Bay game I had no problem with his decisions. The one time he got licked it was third down and if he's have slid he'd have been short and the Bills TD drive would have ended in a FG attempt. The other time was in the 2:00 drill when he was just trying to get OB and came up a couple inches short; neither of those instance is a situation where he neesd to be laying down early.

>Really liked what I saw of Aaron Schobel defending the groundgame; he was a definite force at the POA. On the other side Kelsay struggled a bit and was generally inefective all night.

>Found it interesting that Mularkey yanked Holcomb in the middle of a drive, immediately following the play when he took off upfield and tried to thrwo a block. We know you want to play Kelly, but save it for when we need it.

>I'm a little worried about Nate Clements this year for a couple reasons. One is that he is attacking the run so aggresively that he's leaving space between him and the sidelines and he's trying to kill everybody he sees, which is fine 'til he hurts himself attacking a 320lb guard. The other reason is that I'm praying that his great effort last year hasn't made him overconfident. Favre abused him with a miniscule pumpfake and I wonder if Nate might want the ball so bad that he's going to start jumping way too many first moves. If he wants to stay as consistent as he was last year he really needs to pick his spots.

>Geisinger and Jerman are both absolutely horrible and neither one of them can play in this league. I'm gettting a little worried about the Bills depth on the OLine.

>The Packers run as many picks on offense as anybody around. But they're really good at it and will likely get away with all year.

>When Donahoe/Modrak came on board I was really excited because I watched them work in Pburgh and figured they would get rid of any of the Bills shrinking violets (Price, Carpenter, etc). They did but there's still one guy out there driving me nuts and that continues to be Posey. It's bad enough when he's coming unblocked and then whiffing on 40yrold QB's twice (right before they throw TD's) or that rookie ARodgers can make him look like EddieRobinson, but I can't take much more of watching him run away from contact. For gawd's sakes he's turning his back on rookie TE's instead of taking them on and tip-toeing through the wash instead of busting people up. The guy does next to nothing for this defense and like to see somebody else at least get a shot. I'm not convinced Stamer is the answer and am not particular liking what I'm seeing from Haggan; I'd have no problem if the Bills kicked Crowell out to the strongside just to see what he could do there.

>Another thing I wish this staff would do is let us see what Ritzman looks like against NFL starters. Not only are they giveing Schobel waaayyy more snaps than he needs, but they've got Gause in front of him on the depth chart even though Ritzman does nothing but make plays every time he gets on the field. Against GB he didn't even see the field 'til late and only got to play 2 drives yet still managed to get his hands on Packer QB's no less  than 5 different times. Give this kid a look earlier coach.....please!

>I'm not convinced Reed dropped that fleaflicker, as the DB was diving for the ball before it came in and had an arm fully extended right in front of Josh. If he got a fingertip on it (which is entirely possible) I can't fault Reed for not pulling in a ball that was deflected directly in front of him. I know he's got the dropsies bad the last couple years, but he was by far the best blocking WR on the field last night and can be really effective converting 3rddowns. Between college and his rookie season I've seen enough that I'm not giving up on the kid yet.

A couple general thoughts:

Those complaining about the Bills rungame thusfar are out in left field as far as I'm concerned. Aside from Anderson, everybody looks good up front and Willis is averagn almost 4yrds/carry while barely even getting out of the 1stqrtr. A good ground attack always gets better as the game progresses and if we average 4yrds/pop during the 1st qrtr we could be mangling people late.

It doesn't matter what unit it is, or who's playing on it. Our ST's look absolutely dominant in all phases of the game. What a spectacular job by the Bills staff and front office. They might win us a couple games this year on thier own.

414971[/snapback]

Great post. I've seen most of the game and I agree with just about everything you said. it appeared to me that Josh Reed missed the catch thrown to him but played well overall. Ron Edwards didn't do much like you said but moved well. I thought Bennie Anderson was good on the run, I know that he had a good block for the touchdown. The defense was good but not dominate. JP is still in the learning stage of his development but it is obvious he has the drive to succeed which you have to like.

Great analysis Simon.

I completely agree with you about Ritzmann. Give the kid some real playing time against the starters. We know what we have in Schobel & Kelsay, they have nothing more to prove.

I'm not saying that Ritzmann should be a starter on the team, nor do I foresee him becoming one, but he could be very effective as a situational pass rusher, and be a valuable back-up.

With all the constant shuffling of players on defense that the Bills do in regular season games, then Ritzmann could also be used that way.

Basically what you said was worthless to me, that is all.  You know nothing about Clements or Evans blocking, or anything like that.  You're just posting blabber to me.  Let the real people critique people, and you can go get your can of beer and sit back down on your coach.  Don't take it the wrong way or anything though. :devil:

415806[/snapback]

Thank you for your incredible contribution to the board. If you're going to be a dick, at least be entertaining or witty.

Thanks for the report Simon, there are plenty here that appreciate your efforts.

I remember seeing Edwards cover some line on a couple of plays in the game but it looked to me he was pivoting and running North/South on both of them instead of running laterally East/West.

He was sliding a little bit here and there. It wasn't pretty but it did seem to be a bit of an improvement to what we're used to.

In general, I've been very impressed with Evans' willingness to block downfield, but I doubt he'll ever be as good at it as Reed, who is much more physical. Did you see Evans whiff out there?

It wasn't so much a physical failing like a whiff, more of a disinterest. There were several instances where some hustle could have added some yardage to plays, or he could have beat his guy to the POA and at least walled him off and instead he was just sort of half-stepping. I agree he looked a lot more willing last year and am guessing it was just some preseason floating

While many people have suggested DP replacing Teague at center in different scenarios, it is actually #60 - Esposito that has played the center with the second string.

I didn't mention because I didn't felt like I saw enough, but Esposito looked pretty fair out there, moved pretty well and may indeed make the PS.

Not to steal Kelly tFBD's line, but do you know of any other personnel packages the Bills use/used? I'm trying to train my eye a bit more and would like some things to look for.

The RUby is the only oddball I noticed, and I only know its name thanks to the all-too reticent Fencesitter (reticence? stones in greenhouses, eh?-). Other than that you can just watch them pulling Posey for Greer when they go to their nickel and then pulling a DT for King (or eventually KThomas) when they go to their dime.

Posey is definitely a finesse player. I'm not sure I've ever seen him really bowl anyone over, except when he arrived at the QB unblocked. Posey does seem to make very good reads, however,

I have no problem with his reads, reading run/pass isn't exactly rocket science. My problem is with his unwillingess to hold his ground 'cuz he doesn't like contact. He's hanging his 'mates out to dry and that is significantly uncool.

Thanks for the report Simon, there are plenty here that appreciate your efforts.

"Effort" would be pretty far down the list of words I would potentially use to describe sitting in a big chair, sipping suds and watching ball with a clicker. :rolleyes:

Cya

They're just so cute at that age.  :lol:

415661[/snapback]

Ummm... no, they're not.

Saw you rip Jerman. Checked my game notes - direct quote: "Greg Jerman SUCKS."

And yet, today's BuffNews lists him as one of their training camp surprises. The pertinent quote: "Is in a good position to land the No. 2 right tackle spot because of his agility."

:rolleyes:

I'm thinking more along the lines of, "Is in a good position to land the No. 2 RT spot because Lawrence Smith shredded a knee, Marcus Price wasn't resigned, and the other backup tackles are even worse." What say you?

Ummm... no, they're not.

And yet, today's BuffNews lists him as one of their training camp surprises. The pertinent quote: "Is in a good position to land the No. 2 right tackle spot because of his agility."

I'm thinking more along the lines of, "Is in a good position to land the No. 2 RT spot because Lawrence Smith shredded a knee, Marcus Price wasn't resigned, and the other backup tackles are even worse." What say you?

416604[/snapback]

I don't keep up enough with drafts/FA acquisitions etc, so I don't even know where Jerman came from. It was also the first time I've seen him "play" so I don't want to go too far here, but...... he was the worst OLineman on the field, getting worked over terribly both inside and out in both the passing and ground game. I have no idea what the hell the Buff News is looking at (maybe he's been solid in camp and just had a bad night?) but I'll be surprised if he makes this team. And if he sees the field this year, we are in seriously big trouble.

With the losses of Price, Sobieski, LSmith and the unimpressive play of Jerman, Geiseinger and McFarland, I expect TD/Modrak to take some cap chits and sprinkle them around after other teams have made some roster cuts. Our OLine depth is critically thin right now.

Ummm... no, they're not.

416604[/snapback]

I know this was directed as Simon, but I watched the GB scrimmage and the Indi games closely (GB game less-so), and have a strong opinion. Jerman looked horrible out there, really out of his league - - not even PS material IMO.

I thought McFarland was looking good? :rolleyes:

Oh and I re-checked NFL.com, and on that busted pump-fake RB draw play that Lee and JP screwed-up, JP ran for 15 yards. Not a bad screwup, although I don't recall if that was the play where the defender horse-collared him. I think the first throwaway was on that 13 second play, which had nothing to do with the play above.

I don't keep up enough with drafts/FA acquisitions etc, so I don't even know where Jerman came from.

Where did he come from? Miami cut him. *strike one*

Three years in aqua-and-orange, 11 games played, one start (at RG).

It was also the first time I've seen him "play" so I don't want to go too far here, but...... he was the worst OLineman on the field, getting worked over terribly both inside and out in both the passing and ground game. I have no idea what the hell the Buff News is looking at (maybe he's been solid in camp and just had a bad night?) but I'll be surprised if he makes this team. And if he sees the field this year, we are in seriously big trouble.

He's been ... there ... in camp; the first practice I caught, I honestly thought he was one of the UDFA rookies until I looked up his number. Not much to write home about; certainly not an eye-opener like Duke Preston.

With the losses of Price, Sobieski, LSmith and the unimpressive play of Jerman, Geiseinger and McFarland, I expect TD/Modrak to take some cap chits and sprinkle them around after other teams have made some roster cuts. Our OLine depth is critically thin right now.

416631[/snapback]

Amen to that. I wonder if Price's knee ever got any better? IIRC, that was an arthritis-type problem, though, so probably not.....

Like I said before Saturday's game: after Tucker and Preston, just exactly what DO we have?

And watching Tucker stretching his back out on the bench during the game, I'm hoping we still have HIM for most of the season. The night #89 and I talked to him at SJF (asking him about throwing down with Big Sam), I said something like "we were kind of worried about your back, with him trying to lay on top of you like that." His response was, "So was I..."

I thought McFarland was looking good? :rolleyes:

Just my opinion, I'd certainly rather see them keep McFarland... but if anything should happen to BigMike, I wouldn't be confident in either one of them starting for any significant amount of time.

And I don't mean to scare anyone, but BigMike hasn't played a 16-game season yet.....