Peters on the KO return

Mickey

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Is calling someone "not an Academic All-American" after he scored a 9 on the Wonderlic an outrageous or politically incorrect statement for you? I'm just asking.

414156[/snapback]

not at all. your statement is quite accurate.

and by the way, i'm not all about political correctness -- far from it. i just call 'em like i see 'em, and i don't like folks calling a guy "stupid" when they know nothing more than that he scored poorly on a standardized test.

Have you ever taken the Wonderlic? It has some very basic questions.

Chances are that if you scored a 9 on the Wonderlic, it is a good  guess that  you are not able to read. (it doesn't mean you are not intelligent)

414164[/snapback]

The Wonderlic's biggest challenge isn't the difficulty of the questions, but the time limit imposed to answer them (50 questions in 12 minutes). It's primary use is not to judge pure intelligence but to determine how quickly a player can grasp concepts (i.e., the game plan, on-the-fly formation adjustments, technique instruction, etc.).

Many players score poorly on the test simply because they have problems completing it in the time allowed. Does that mean they've got below average IQs? No way. Does it mean they might not be proficient test takers? Perhaps.

I haven't seen Peters make an inordinate amount of mental or assignment mistakes for a young player. What he scored on a 12-minute test taken two years ago doesn't seem as relevant at the amazing athletic plays we've seen from him so far as a Bill.

not at all.  your statement is quite accurate.

and by the way, i'm not all about political correctness -- far from it.  i just call 'em like i see 'em, and i don't like folks calling a guy "stupid" when they know nothing more than that he scored poorly on a standardized test.

414191[/snapback]

Good point, and I agree with that.

The Wonderlic's biggest challenge isn't the difficulty of the questions, but the time limit imposed to answer them (50 questions in 12 minutes).  It's primary use is not to judge pure intelligence but to determine how quickly a player can grasp concepts (i.e., the game plan, on-the-fly formation adjustments, technique instruction, etc.). 

Many players score poorly on the test simply because they have problems completing it in the time allowed.  Does that mean they've got below average IQs?  No way.    Does it mean they might not be proficient test takers?  Perhaps.

I haven't seen Peters make an inordinate amount of mental or assignment mistakes for a young player.  What he scored on a 12-minute test taken two years ago doesn't seem as relevant at the amazing athletic plays we've seen from him so far as a Bill.

414212[/snapback]

Both McNally and Donahoe have been quoted as saying that Peters has made very, very few mental mistakes in training camp. In mini camp, I know McNally said he did not make a single mental mistake. He also said that Peters is the most athletic lineman he has ever coached....which is ridiculous praise coming from the guy who coached Anthony Munoz his entire career.

I also watched the first quarter on TIVO last night and that block was UNBELIEVABLE. Literally knocked two guys right out of the play and made it look easy. Looked like Peters was that kid who was too big to play in little league. Bannan also had a great block on the same play.

I would not be surprised if Peters gets some time with the first string but Gandy has been playing well also.

Yeah, I definitely got a chuckle out of that one too. I thought the most amazing thing wasn't actually that he was able to toss the guy where he wanted to take out another man, but rather that he was quick enough to actually get his hands on a smaller, quicker DB that was moving full speed trying to get away from him.

If you want to see another play that will drop your jaw, move your tape to about 5:00 left in the 2nd, a couple plays before The Keg gets his sack. GB runs a toss-sweep left on 1st down and Adams throws the RG on the ground. What is outrageous is that he then proceeds to hurdle the guy in the process of sprinting down the LOS to help string AGreen to the outside where Clements sticks him on the corner. Watching a 350lb man move like that is just surreal.

Cya

Both McNally and Donahoe have been quoted as saying that Peters has made very, very few mental mistakes in training camp.  In mini camp, I know McNally said he did not make a single mental mistake.  He also said that Peters is the most athletic lineman he has ever coached....which is ridiculous praise coming from the guy who coached Anthony Munoz his entire career.

I also watched the first quarter on TIVO last night and that block was UNBELIEVABLE.  Literally knocked two guys right out of the play and made it look easy.  Looked like Peters was that kid who was too big to play in little league.  Bannan also had a great block on the same play.

I would not be surprised if Peters gets some time with the first string but Gandy has been playing well also.

414238[/snapback]

One begins to wonder why the greatest athletic specimen venerable NFLers ever coached who does not make a single mental mistake went undrafted. How do folks explain this anomaly.

One begins to wonder why the greatest athletic specimen venerable NFLers ever coached who does not make a single mental mistake went undrafted. How do folks explain this anomaly.

House Ballard was drafted in the 12th round IIRC. That's UDFA material. It happens. It's also why Ryan Leaf went #2 overall and was out of the NFL 4 years later.

414310[/snapback]

It really was simple and even predicted by some. Teams simply didn't know where he would play. Even though teams always talk about the "best athlete available" theory, it only goes so far. He was simply raw material. One didn't know if he could play any position in the NFL. I read where his team, Arkansas, didn't even have a TE coach so he never got any good coaching. He didn't do much blocking and he only caught relatively few passes. I don't think he played special teams in college. NFL Teams didn't know where to play him, if at all. He just slipped through the cracks each round and it's not really surprising.

It really was simple and even predicted by some. Teams simply didn't know where he would play. Even though teams always talk about the "best athlete available" theory, it only goes so far. He was simply raw material. One didn't know if he could play any position in the NFL. I read where his team, Arkansas, didn't even have a TE coach so he never got any good coaching. He didn't do much blocking and he only caught relatively few passes. I don't think he played special teams in college. NFL Teams didn't know where to play him, if at all. He just slipped through the cracks each round and it's not really surprising.

414326[/snapback]

george pugh was his TE coach in college.......

he was also regarded as "a dominating force in the running game" and "arguably the top blocking tight end in the draft"......

george pugh was his TE coach in college.......

he was also regarded as "a dominating force in the running game" and "arguably the top blocking tight end in the draft"......

414378[/snapback]

According to this, Pugh resigned as a coach in March of 2003, before Peters senior season. Perhaps the article I read about peters not having a TE coach only meant his senior year, which would have been his most important. Peters was a defensive tackle and switched to TE in 2001, only playing TE there two and a half years, so some with coaching (tough to coach a guy much in the middle of the season when he switches positions) and one without.

http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=10&p=8&c=1&nid=1799130&refid=1

http://www.ncaa.org/news/2003/20030303/record.html

414326[/snapback]

He had a reputation for being lazy too. I remember reading that Peters came back to Arkansas to train after the draft and the Razorback coaches were unpleasantly surprised to see he had developed a work ethic. Then after a decent camp, the Bills cut him and he visited the Giants. I thought for sure he was gone. The whole scenario has played out real well for the Bills and Peters.

414310[/snapback]

I sense a great deal of frustration in your posts on Peters. What gives?

Peters was a guy who didn't fit NFL measurables for a TE, so teams passed on him during the draft. If I remember right, he was one of the priority UFA signings after the draft concluded. The Bills took a flyer on him and it's looking like a gamble that's paying off. Pat Williams was the same kind of deal.

There are dozens of UDF's running around the league that have had very good careers, and some have become stars, including our own London ("too short") Fletcher.

I sense a great deal of frustration in your posts on Peters.  What gives?

Lord knows what reasons people have for disliking a particular player, to the point of wanting to see them fail even if they DO play for their own team. That seems foolish to me. Not saying that this is the case with FFS, but I've seen it several times before.