this is VERY good to hear

eball

while discussing the bills' variety of blitz packages, TKO offered the following:

"That's our M.O. — that's what we do," said linebacker Takeo Spikes, who said Gray has vowed to never sit back and play it cautious again after last-minute losses to Jacksonville and the New York Jets last season.

11-5 would have been a pretty nice record last year. but it's funny how things work out -- that sort of record would have likely resulted in bledsoe behind center for another season. yecch.

in any event, if the bills put the prevent D in the closet, i'll be a happy man.

while discussing the bills' variety of blitz packages, TKO offered the following:

"That's our M.O. — that's what we do," said linebacker Takeo Spikes, who said Gray has vowed to never sit back and play it cautious again after last-minute losses to Jacksonville and the New York Jets last season.

11-5 would have been a pretty nice record last year.  but it's funny how things work out -- that sort of record would have likely resulted in bledsoe behind center for another season.  yecch.

in any event, if the bills put the prevent D in the closet, i'll be a happy man.

412872[/snapback]

Excellent post. I also cringed when being reminded of those two games. 11-5 would be nice this year.

It's not the prevent defense that I'm against, it's the fact that it is used constantly when it should not be.

If you're up by 40 points in the 4th quarter, it's not a bad thing. But a lot of teams try to use it to protect a one- or two-score lead; that's just nuts.

It's not the prevent defense that I'm against, it's the fact that it is used constantly when it should not be.

If you're up by 40 points in the 4th quarter, it's not a bad thing. But a lot of teams try to use it to protect a one- or two-score lead; that's just nuts.

412941[/snapback]

Very true. That's when it drives me nuts. With like a 10 point lead at the beginning or the middle of the fourth. It's just downright stupid to abandon the one thing that has likely contributed greatly to this 10 point lead in the first place. They quickly first-down you right down the field and score a FG or TD and then they're right back within one score with plenty of time left. Happens all the time it seems.

The Prevent Defense = The 1992 Houston Oilers

Lesson Learned

412890[/snapback]

The prevent D isn't what cost the Oilers that game. It was the run and shoot. They didn't run the ball often enough to take time off the clock. A lot of 3 and outs when you're throwing the ball means that not much time is going off the clock. Its actually the opposite of going into a shell that cost them that game. Had they gone into a shell they would have won.

There is a fine line between sportsmanship and protecting a lead. If you are up by 21 going into the 4Q do you call off the dogs? Some say you always press the D, and let the O show the sportsmanship (i.e. just running the ball). I am of the belief that if you are winning big call off the dogs, if it gets close, send them again. But I guess momentum is lost, so who knows.

The prevent D isn't what cost the Oilers that game.  It was the run and shoot.  They didn't run the ball often enough to take time off the clock.  A lot of 3 and outs when you're throwing the ball means that not much time is going off the clock.  Its actually the opposite of going into a shell that cost them that game.  Had they gone into a shell they would have won.

412998[/snapback]

a.k.a. the offensive coordinator, Kevin Killdrive

11-5 would have been a pretty nice record last year.  but it's funny how things work out -- that sort of record would have likely resulted in bledsoe behind center for another season.  yecch.

412872[/snapback]

Despite for your dislike for a certain player, how can you spit on an 11-5 record? ;)

He may have been here this year but it likely would've been his last unless we won the SB with him under center.

Some reasoning on this board scares me. 0:)

The prevent D isn't what cost the Oilers that game.  It was the run and shoot.  They didn't run the ball often enough to take time off the clock.  A lot of 3 and outs when you're throwing the ball means that not much time is going off the clock.  Its actually the opposite of going into a shell that cost them that game.  Had they gone into a shell they would have won.

412998[/snapback]

That game was a gift from god.... A lot of things caused the events to happen as they did. However, my point is, if you don't have the personnel to run the prevent D, then don't do it! Also, if your'e going to the prevent D, don't go to it too early. As for the run and shoot causing the comeback?? Well, to an extent you have a point, but the bills put 14 on them before their offense even took the field. By then, the damage was done, even if the bills still had 24 more to go!

Despite for your dislike for a certain player, how can you spit on an 11-5 record?    ;)

He may have been here this year but it likely would've been his last unless we won the SB with him under center. 

Some reasoning on this board scares me.    0:)

413060[/snapback]

i've never rooted for the bills to lose a football game in my life (and never will), and i wanted them to beat pittsburgh and get into the playoffs in the worst way.

my point is that now, LOOKING BACK, those close losses may have been a blessing in disguise. i am very excited about the prospects of the team this year with losman at the helm. what exactly is so difficult to understand or "scary" about that? ;)

i've never rooted for the bills to lose a football game in my life (and never will), and i wanted them to beat pittsburgh and get into the playoffs in the worst way.

my point is that now, LOOKING BACK, those close losses may have been a blessing in disguise.  i am very excited about the prospects of the team this year with losman at the helm.  what exactly is so difficult to understand or "scary" about that?  0:)

413100[/snapback]

I'll be happier with losman if he's able to show some consistency during the rest of the preseason. Yeah, he put together a couple good drives last week, but he was largely off... I do have some good confidence that he'll be ready to roll on september 11th.