Things to do in Toronto?

Fezmid

My wife and I are planning on taking a day trip to Toronto while we're visiting WNY in a couple of weeks. We're probably going to go on Tuesday (8/23) because Blue Man Group is playing in Toronto on that day. We've read a bunch of websites about things to do there (visit some castle, Canada Place, etc), but was wondering what people here have done and enjoyed.

CW

My wife and I are planning on taking a day trip to Toronto while we're visiting WNY in a couple of weeks.  We're probably going to go on Tuesday (8/23) because Blue Man Group is playing in Toronto on that day.  We've read a bunch of websites about things to do there (visit some castle, Canada Place, etc), but was wondering what people here have done and enjoyed.

CW

406574[/snapback]

The castle (Casa Loma) is pretty cool. And of course there's the Hockey Hall of Fame. It's actually not much of a museum but the room where they keep the Cup is the piece de resistance. Just seeing le Coupe Stanley makes it worth the price of admission.

We are going over on the ferry next weekend. Gonna take the kids to Canada's Wonderland.

The Blue Man Group show is "AWESOME".

Also, one of the best things about travelling from Buffalo to Toronto is to make a detour to Niagara-on-the-Lake. You won't be disappointed.

Toronto is a nice city, but not much to set it apart from things you've already seen in other cities.

Eaton Centre has great shopping.  It's one of the biggest malls I've ever been to!

406586[/snapback]

We live in Minnesota, so have the Mall Of America ( http://www.mallofamerica.com/ ) which is the biggest mall in the country (world?)... So I think we'll pass on that. :D

The hockey Hall of Fame might be cool; my wife's a bigger hockey fan than I am, so she might be interested in that.

So Casa Loma isn't some lame tourist trap? I'm a bit skeptical, since my wife and I went to England for our honeymoon and saw Leeds Castle ( http://www.leeds-castle.com/ ) and actually spent a couple of nights in Amberley Castle ( http://www.amberleycastle.co.uk/gallery/tours.html ). However, I havn't read anything negative about it so maybe we'll put it on our list afterall.

Thanks - anybody else have any ideas? :D

CW

The castle (Casa Loma) is pretty cool.  And of course there's the Hockey Hall of Fame.  It's actually not much of a museum but the room where they keep the Cup is the piece de resistance.  Just seeing le Coupe Stanley makes it worth the price of admission.

We are going over on the ferry next weekend.  Gonna take the kids to Canada's Wonderland.

406584[/snapback]

i've touched the stanley cup with the white gloves and everything at the sabres carnival about 10 years ago... i was working it for the ymca. highlight of my life. you have to go to the HHOF and see it. it sounds cliche, but you literally can feel the power, energy, and history by just seeing it. The only thing i can relate it to is going to the national archives in DC and seeing the declaration of independence and constitution.

Fez - Casa Loma isn't anywhere near in the same league as Leeds and Amberly. Since you've seen the real thing - it may be disappointing.

The skydome is cool and you can go into a restaurant for a drink and look out into the stadium.

Eaton Centre is nothing special anymore. When it first opened it was unique, and Mall of America is about 7 tiimes bigger, for sure.'

The Toronto Zoo is nice, and open-air zoo, no cages. If you like food, wander the St.Lawrence market on Front St. For entertainment, go to the Second City Theatre, where Dan Ackroyd, and John Candy, and many others from SNL and SCTV got their start. Wayne Gretzky's Bar is right across the street.

CN Tower goes without saying, The former Skydome, now called the Rogers Center, has the Blue Jay's playing. Check your schedule. You can also check out Toronto Argonauts CFL football there too.

T.O. as the city is referred to by locals, is just a cool place with a million clubs and restaurants and nifty neighborhoods. It's also home to nearly every ethnic group in the world and everyone gets a long.

PTR

i've touched the stanley cup with the white gloves and everything at the sabres carnival about 10 years ago...  i was working it for the ymca.  highlight of my life.  you have to go to the HHOF and see it.  it sounds cliche, but you literally can feel the power, energy, and history by just seeing it.  The only thing i can relate it to is going to the national archives in DC and seeing the declaration of independence and constitution.

406596[/snapback]

I touched it with my bare hands when the security guard wasn't looking. :D

And I agree with everything else you said. The only HOF experience that compares to seeing the Stanley Cup is walking into the actual baseball Hall in Cooperstown where they have all the plaques. I've been to Canton and Springfield as well (both new and old) and neither has an experience that comes close.

CN Tower goes without saying,  The former Skydome, now called the Rogers Center, has the Blue Jay's playing. 

The CN tower might be cool. Don't reallly care about the Skydome -- I can watch games in a dome at the Metrodome (and let me tell you, it sucks compared to open air stadiums).

CW

The Skydome actually has a retractable roof.....and this time of year is opened for the most part for nearly all Blue Jays games. I recommend going to the Theatre District (tons of shows to see) and the very first Hard Rock Cafe in downtown TO. CFL games are also quite the experience for longtime NFL fans because of how wide open they are compared to the NFL game. Casa Loma is, in the opinion of someone who has been to England and Scotland castles, nothing spectacular comparatively speaking......but if you are a castle/history buff, it may be worth checking out.

Sometimes the wait to go up the tower can be a setback.  I love the glass floor.  It's surprising how many people are terrified of walking across it.

407113[/snapback]

Now I know my wife won't want to go there :blink: The Mall of America has some places with glass block floors, and she hates walking over those too. :blink:

CW

Sometimes the wait to go up the tower can be a setback.  I love the glass floor.  It's surprising how many people are terrified of walking across it.

407113[/snapback]

I went on a Monday, when I went. In fact, it was the day after the Miami-Buffalo Snow Bowl game. There were no lines, and if I remember right, I was the only one in the elevator for the trip up.

Now I know my wife won't want to go there :blink:  The Mall of America has some places with glass block floors, and she hates walking over those too. :blink:

CW

407180[/snapback]

You don't have to walk on it, it's simply a small area, about 8'x8' if I remember correctly, that instead of a normal floor surface, it's glass so you can look down. If you don't want to go on it, it's easy enough to go around it.

To be honest with you, there isn't a whole lot to do in Toronto. Probably the most exciting thing would be to walk up and down Younge St a few times, but then that gets boring too. I don't think I would recommend going to Toronto to anyone. It was nice twenty years ago but not any more. Plus all the Canadians are really arrogant and condescending toward Americans. I really don't know why any American would consider supporting the Canadian economy when their government actively works against our efforts in the war on terror and their politicians continue to insult us.

Plus their Broadway shows are really second rate with recorded music and cast members from such great schools of fine art as the University of Guelph and Southern Ontario.

I'd cancel the trip if it's not too late. Book a trip to NYC instead. If you're really coming, then spend some time in Buffalo!

I'd cancel the trip if it's not too late.  Book a trip to NYC instead.  If you're really coming, then spend some time in Buffalo!

407219[/snapback]

Can't really drive from Buffalo to NYC as a day trip like you can with Toronto. Plus, did you notice the part about wanting to see Blue Man Group? :blink:

CW