Things to do in Toronto?

Fezmid

My wife and I are planning on taking a day trip to Toronto while we're visiting WNY in a couple of weeks.  We're probably going to go on Tuesday (8/23) because Blue Man Group is playing in Toronto on that day.  We've read a bunch of websites about things to do there (visit some castle, Canada Place, etc), but was wondering what people here have done and enjoyed.

CW

406574[/snapback]

If you like hockey - The HOF is well worth a visit - you see all the Trophys up close and personal - and they're beautiful

http://www.hhof.com/html/gi100.shtml

If it's a clear day - the CN Tower (Up) ride is well worth the price of admission

To be honest with you, there isn't a whole lot to do in Toronto.  Probably the most exciting thing would be to walk up and down Younge St a few times, but then that gets boring too.  I don't think I would recommend going to Toronto to anyone.  It was nice twenty years ago but not any more.  Plus all the Canadians are really arrogant and condescending toward Americans.  I really don't know why any American would consider  supporting the Canadian economy when their government actively works against our efforts in the war on terror and their politicians continue to insult us.

Plus their Broadway shows are really second rate with recorded music and cast members from such great schools of fine art as the University of Guelph and Southern Ontario.

I'd cancel the trip if it's not too late.  Book a trip to NYC instead.  If you're really coming, then spend some time in Buffalo!

407219[/snapback]

WOW! Tell us how you really feel about Toronto.

I have been to many broadway shows up in Toronto and they are as first rate as touring production that has come through Sheas. Also, to say the only thing to do in Toronto is to walk up and down Yonge St. is about as wrong as you can get.

Went to an all night Rave last weekend at the MPF. Near Younge Street and Danforth Avenue. If you have any problems at the door, tell the doorman "I;m here to see Desmond."

Have GREAT time and stay about from the purple shots!!!

Brass Rail, check it out! for night life entertainment.

WOW!  Tell us how you really feel about Toronto.

I have been to many broadway shows up in Toronto and they are as first rate as touring production that has come through Sheas.  Also, to say the only thing to do in Toronto is to walk up and down Yonge St. is about as wrong as you can get.

407371[/snapback]

Things to do:

Younge Street (lots of shops, freaks and record stores)

Eaton Center (just a big ass mall but cool)

Hockey Hall of Fame (Awesome!!)

407862[/snapback]

i went to toronto for spring break one year because i couldn't afford to go anywhere else

my wife (girlfriend at the time) stayed in a cheap hotel and then walked everywhere

hit up yonge street, the hockey hall of fame, gretsky's restaurant, the CN tower, some french restaurant near the theatre, the lion king and saw seinfeld perform live (wasn't on the menu, but she wanted to go to the eaton center to shop and a scalper stepped in front of us hawking tickets...i jumped on it right away because i didn't want to shop and the tickets were so incredibly cheap...i ended up sitting in a seat partially obstructed by a huge beam...)

if you can, get a buffalo or rochester entertainment book...everything we did in toronto (aside from seinfeld) was 50% off through entertainment book coupons

Sometimes the wait to go up the tower can be a setback.  I love the glass floor.  It's surprising how many people are terrified of walking across it.

407113[/snapback]

My kids played "tag" with other kids on it...

It's been a couple decades since I visited it, but the Ontario Science Center (hope I got the name right) is good. Probably best tho' if you are there for a few days - it's an all-day thing.

407901[/snapback]

Yeah, a ton of hands-on stuff there...pretty cool. Cooler if you have kids with you, but neat nonetheless...

Yeah, a ton of hands-on stuff there...pretty cool.  Cooler if you have kids with you, but neat nonetheless...

407907[/snapback]

Yep, I went with family that included two young nephews visiting from Alabama. They didn't care for that Canadian favourite, fries with malt vinegar, tho... :)

Canadian favourite, fries with malt vinegar, tho... :)

Oh man, those were one of the best things in England! Yum.... Anyplace that sells their fish wrapped in newspaper along with the fries?

CW

I never realized this until a friend e-mailed me, but when I was growing up in Buffalo way back when, there was a guy on TV in Toronto doing the weather report, and he used to do it by writing with both hands on plexiglass with a grease pencil while facing the camera.

And now it's 2005, and he is STILL doing the weather report on TV, and has been doing it for FORTY-FIVE YEARS!

Dave Devall

Completely forgot:

CN TOWER

Toronto Science Museum.

Other people mentioned these and they are both good. You will need an entire day to check out the science museum, but its totally worth it.

Wear your BUF Sabres gear too!! HA!

Myself and a few friends drive up every year and get a field view room at the Skydome for the Red Sox series. I love going to Toronto...it's an awesome city with tons of stuff to do.

Where to eat? We found this awesome steakhouse called Montana. It was a great restaurant with a creative atmosphere and nice waitstaff. It was a good meal and the prices weren't bad either. After dinner you can get free admission to their nightclub right upstairs. Honestly we had no idea they even had a dance club upstairs until our waitress told us. We decided to hit that up and it was pretty good, different areas playing different music, from hiphop to techno to 80's and 90's rock to a mellow pool room. It was pretty cool.

What to do? We checked out the mall that was pretty cool, but you prob wouldnt be interested. CN tower is cool. Whatever you do you need to hit up The House of Lancaster. AWESOME CLUB!!!

• 2 weeks later...

After being unsuccessful in finding the Botanical Gardens and Butterfly conservatory in NF, Ontario, we continued up to Toronto on the 23rd.

We first stopped at the Science Museum. It was DEFINATELY aimed at kids... I think we were the only people there without any children. :lol: The exhibits were mostly dull, but the planetarium presentation was pretty cool, as was the "Extsreme Science" demonstration (although I had done 90% of what they showed in high school and college labs). It was still fun though. We also caught an IMAX movie there called, "Adrenaline Rush: The Science of Risk" and that was pretty cool too - IMAX movies always look and sound great.

After this, we went downtown to find where Blue Man Group was going to play. Found the building, drove around to find parking, and then wandered the streets of downtown Toronto. We didn't see anything that exciting (although people watching was rather fun), but we did notice that there were a lot of stores in favor of legalizing weed. Found that a bit odd.

We found a nice restaurant across the street from where the show was going to be (Casa di Pasta) and the food there was really good. I'd highly recommend the Oriental Seafood Soup - big portion, great taste, and only $9 CAD. My wife had some pasta in cream sauce and it was only $7 CAD. The cheese cake we had for dessert was also excellent (and only $4 CAD).

After dinner, we went to the Panasonic Theater where Blue Man Group (http://www.blueman.com/) was performing. The theater was very cozy -- probably sat less than 500 people, but I'm not sure. The show was absolutely AMAZING and I highly recommend it to anyone. A nice combination of music and comedy. Don't want to say too much, as I don't want to spoil it for others, but let's just say audience participation (especially at the end) was a LOT of fun! :devil:

We had a great time, thanks for the recommendations! Next time we go, we want to hit the Hockey Hall of Fame, as well as some other things so the recommendations that we didn't get to will be used next year :P

Thanks all!

CW

We live in Minnesota, so have the Mall Of America ( http://www.mallofamerica.com/ ) which is the biggest mall in the country (world?)...  So I think we'll pass on that. :devil:

The hockey Hall of Fame might be cool; my wife's a bigger hockey fan than I am, so she might be interested in that.

So Casa Loma isn't some lame tourist trap?  I'm a bit skeptical, since my wife and I went to England for our honeymoon and saw Leeds Castle ( http://www.leeds-castle.com/ ) and actually spent a couple of nights in Amberley Castle ( http://www.amberleycastle.co.uk/gallery/tours.html ).  However, I havn't read anything negative about it so maybe we'll put it on our list afterall.

Thanks - anybody else have any ideas? :P

CW

406594[/snapback]

Hockey Hall of Fame is awesome!