Who says Parrish is too small to get off LOS

stevewin

Man - every day you just hear more and more and I get more and more excited. All this talk about how he will have to always be in motion and line up crazy places so he doesn't get stuffed at the line - this from the practice yesterday

Then rookie corner Mike Hawkins tried to press him at the line of scrimmage, but Parrish used his smurf-like quickness to get open on an inside slant, then fake out the defender by running down the sideline.

Sounds like he did awesome yesterday - first two passes, two deep completions. Got to love his attitude too:

"I feel like I had a good day, but I feel I can do better," said Parrish, the second-round draft choice from the University of Miami. "Every day you've got to do better than the last day."

And

The 5-foot-9 Parrish was uncoverable in one-on-one drills, then made four good catches during a 19-play, seven-on-seven passing session

:doh:

BN - Parrish deep threat

The guy plays the game at a faster speed than pretty much everyone else.  He's just got very unnatural skills in that department.  If he can stay healthy and away from big hits...

399619[/snapback]

I think that we are going to see a lot of production from him as both the slot receiver and on special teams.

I think that we are going to see a lot of production from him as both the slot receiver and on special teams.

399621[/snapback]

If he plays the slot, which I hope he does, I would prefer someone else handle punts. Strictly because of his size mind you. I would hate to see him get lit up on a punt return. Course I didn't want Nate returning punts last year either but that turned out OK.

If he plays the slot, which I hope he does, I would prefer someone else handle punts.  Strictly because of his size mind you.  I would hate to see him get lit up on a punt return.  Course I didn't want Nate returning punts last year either but that turned out OK.

399627[/snapback]

It's hard to think in terms of injury when you're dealing with the NFL (apart from keeping your quarterback out of unnecessary contact.) Injuries are a part of the game and can happen at any time. I think you have to put the best guy back there to return punts no matter what. It can be such a weapon, you almost have to risk the big hits for the big plays. Besides, Roscoe is playing with the big boys now. He's good enough to make it to this level, I don't think you can say he's too small to do this or do that.

I agree, I was a little shook by putting Clements back there. Him going down would have been tragic. But Roscoe almost seems made for the job, a la another smurf Miami guy, Santana Moss.

Honestly, I would love to see him on the outside, opposite of Evans, with Eric back in the slot (as per Moulds' suggestion a few weeks ago). I think Moulds is a perfect slot receiver. He is way too fast for any roaming LB and way too physical for most CBs. I think he is at his best when he is cutting across the field and has a chance to pick his running lane for YAC.

Plus, as Eric also noted, if they do that then it will leave one of them single covered because LE will be seeing double teams on the other side. I'd say lull them to sleep with a few short patterns to Moulds over the middle, then send Roscoe to the endzone.

I swear, maybe I'm being over-optimistic, but I really believe this team is a QB away from being amazing.

The guy plays the game at a faster speed than pretty much everyone else.  He's just got very unnatural skills in that department.  If he can stay healthy and away from big hits...

399619[/snapback]

I have a vision of Bill Murray standing on the sidelines with Parrish saing "You're Woody the Wabbit. You're Woody the Wabbit and you're gonna win this wace."

The thing with that is when you're lining up across from someine that fast it dosn't always pay to try to "jam" them at the los. If he slips by at the line he's already three steps behind you due to his sheer speed.

Re: taking a hit - this may sound stupid, but sometimes I think having less mass may result in less punishment in certain collisions - esp. if 'airborne'. Instead of absorbing the full impact , sometimes it looks like RP just kind of gets nailed and moved through the air w/o really absorbing a lot of punishment from the initial hit. Kind of like hitting a balloon filled w/ air vs a balloon filled with water.

Re: taking a hit - this may sound stupid, but sometimes I think having less mass may result in less punishment in certain collisions - esp. if 'airborne'.  Instead of absorbing the full impact , sometimes it looks like RP just kind of gets nailed and moved through the air w/o really absorbing a lot of punishment from the initial hit.  Kind of like hitting a balloon filled w/ air vs a balloon filled with water.

Well, he IS a smaller target. Hard to hit what's fast, quick, and doesn't have a lot of area TO hit.

One of the things not being talked about is that Donahoes genious in selecting Roscoe may go even further then his production, where he played, and what his speed times were in the 40

New rules seem to be being implemented every year to "speed up the game" and prevent defenders from holding wideouts......

Guys like Parrish who are not just fast but freakishly quick are going to become the rage of the NFL because a defender can only jam them so much.....

Guys like Parrish who are not just fast but freakishly quick are going to become the rage of the NFL because a defender can only jam them so much.....

399949[/snapback]

You can look back a little- for instance the greatest value of Nazr Hakeem to the Super Bowl Rams and the Rams in general at the turn of the Century was the respect safeties had to give him right off the line and the room that gave Isaac Bruce and Tory Holt underneath. Their offense did a great job exploiting the advantage by checking down to quick slants to Hakeem all season long and killing opponents with his RAC. If you back a safety up even a couple of yards his lessened effectiveness down low in both the run game and on your 1 and 2 wideouts is substantial.

You can look back a little- for instance the greatest value of Nazr Hakim to the Super Bowl Rams and the Rams in general at the turn of the Century was the respect safeties had to give him right off the line and the room that gave Isaac Bruce and Tory Holt underneath. Their offense did a great job exploiting the  advantage by checking down to quick slants to Hakeem all season long and killing opponents with his RAC. If you back a safety up even a couple of yards his lessened effectiveness down low in both the run game and on your 1 and 2 wideouts is substantial.

399995[/snapback]

Ahhhh spoken like someone who knows what they're talking about... Good post. And yes if roscoe is our new number three or number four the possibilities could be endless for Evans and Moulds, even Magahee.