Parrish holding out?

Bills | Parrish may Miss the Start of Training Camp

Thu, 28 Jul 2005 06:38:10 -0700

Leo Roth, of the Democrat and Chronicle, reports Buffalo Bills rookie WR Roscoe Parrish remains unsigned, but talks continue with agent Drew Rosenhaus. Rosenhaus isn't promising his client will be in camp on time. "We're in discussions, that's all I can say," Rosenhaus said.

I just think to myself how much leverage could a second round pick really have.  Or does he have more with this guy as his agent?

392210[/snapback]

I dunno if i was Rosenhaus i wouldn't want to deal with Donohoe.

I dunno if i was Rosenhaus i wouldn't want to deal with Donohoe.

392214[/snapback]

I'd think the opposite if I were Rosenhaus. I'd want to prove I can screw Teflon Tom out of a mighty contract for a 2nd rounder...

WFIW I think Parrish will be in camp with a contract tomorrow.

In general the signings of draftees from top to bottom seems to be slow this year. I think the big Parrish issue is not so much that he or his agent are being jerks about this, but that his draft position and those picked after him have not been slotted yet.

As best as I can tell, NE has already signed all of their folks (darn that NE) but they have several issues which are particular to their case (the impetus and pressuere to get into camp on an SB winner, the relative amount assigned to NE in their draft pool versus the number of choices) that has allowed them to go forward quickly and m,eans that their slots do not completely determine those around the.

I think that Parrish will be one of the last players drafted in the 2nd round likely to sign because his slot will be driven both by the absolute of contracts taken by thos just prior and just after him, but also he is the first player taken by the Bills as we had no 1st so the amount he gets will be dragged up a bit.

If the NFL did a good job of constraining our total draft pool (an issue I have not looked at yet) compared to the larger pools of teams signing 1sts and particularly if lower drafted Bills do a good job at sucking up the money, there actually may not be as much there for Parrish as he might have gotten.

They are working on a contract, hes not holding out. From what i gather, its not like the Bills made a solid offer and he wanted more, they are working on a contract. If he turns down a few official offers, than he considered a holdout. but being a second rounder, i cant see him missing more than a day or so of camp

When you get out of the first round, there is only so much wiggle room for contract negotation. Contract length, what is bonus versus base contract $$$, incentives, etc...

He'll sign the same contract now or in two weeks. There won't be that much different in the contract other than him missing two weeks of camp and falling behind to the point where he won't be a factor on opening day.

If a smallish, 2nd round rookie, fighting for a starting job, wants to hold out, that's fine with me. Let Reed and Aiken fight for the 3rd WR spot, while Parrish and Rosenhaus take their dolls and go home.

For all the crap that Rosenhaus has gotten recently, and he has deserved some, how many of his players are actually holding out? They have mostly threatened when nothing was going on and come back to camp when it has just about started, including saying they are going to play for their contracts. Sean Taylor, Owens, Javon Walker, Droughns, Edgerrin James (unsure if he is a DH man), Boldin, etc. Eddie Drummond is expected to miss one practice and then sign his tender. Duece MacAllister said in today's paper that Mike McKenzie told him he is going to show up on time and play.

I dislike the dude, too, don't get me wrong, and wish he would go away, and he needs to be reeled in. But the fact is, he doesn't seem to have many or even any holdouts.

I also have little problem with Rosenhaus. He is simply a vehicle for the person who is really responsible for any bad or good negotiation, the player, to do what they want. Rosenhaus is probably doing his job well if he diverts fan attention away from getting mad at the player who is actually holding out and brings it onto him as an agent.

In addition to the fan/player marketing issue where Rosenhaus is probably doing his job well if he allows the player to push a hardline with the team while escaping any bad press on the player, I think folks are misreading the nature of the relationship between Teflon Tom and Rosenhaus.

In the big picture, the two of them are potential partners who want to make a deal rather than competitors who want to screw the other guy.

The more the relationship between the two is a screw you relationship the worse it is for the business interests and goals of either Rosenhaus or TD. They will always be jostling over individual contracts but the two other will need to come ou of it at the end with at least the pretext (and usually the reality) of the deal being fair for both sides.

In terms of agents, i think the bigger issue for TD out there was the miscommunication and dealings with occured with Phat Pat's agent rather than any worry about working with Rosenhaus.

In the end, there is also the way things played out with TH and his team where his agent actually did a lot of TD's work for him in a manner which helped get a difficult three-party deal (Bills/Titans/TH) get done while their was tons of real kibbitzing going on with other parties such as Jax and AZ). It was unorthodox but I think that the 3 principals are all pleased (rightly or wrongly we'll see as reality plays out) with the outcome.

In general the signings of draftees from top to bottom seems to be slow this year. I think the big Parrish issue is not so much that he or his agent are being jerks about this, but that his draft position and those picked after him have not been slotted yet.

392225[/snapback]

Usually the first pick negotiates a contract right at the draft time...That sets

the parameters for the rest to follow. This year it did not happen, as Alex

Smith signed just last week. That delayed every one. Also this year they

have to figure out a good way to spread the signing bonus over 5 years

instead of 6 years (capped). Now that the top picks are getting in the

rest will follow.

As best as I can tell, NE has already signed all of their folks (darn that NE) but they have several issues which are particular to their case (the impetus and pressuere to get into camp  on an SB winner, the relative amount assigned to NE in their draft pool versus the number of choices) that has allowed them to go forward quickly and m,eans that their slots do not completely determine those around the.

392225[/snapback]

Agreed. I think the same is the case with the steelers too...They have everyone

signed before the camp. Ours is going to be a little tricky with Everett...Firstly

he doesn't need to get to camp, as he is rehabbing....second they have to

figure out a common ground for his value and signing bonus...this might take

a little time.

I think that Parrish will be one of the last players drafted in the 2nd round likely to sign because his slot will be driven both by the absolute of contracts taken by thos just prior and just after him, but also he is the first player taken by the Bills as we had no 1st so the amount he gets will be dragged up a bit.

392225[/snapback]

I don't think it matters that he was the bills first pick....He will get no more

or no less than what the guys got around him. Plus he sees a real oppurtunity

to get that slot role wrapped up quickly and he is not going to miss that out

and provide Josh Reed more oppurtunities to grab that position.

If the NFL did a good job of constraining our total draft pool (an issue I have not looked at yet) compared to the larger pools of teams signing 1sts and particularly if lower drafted Bills do a good job at sucking up the money, there actually may not be as much there for Parrish as he might have gotten.

392225[/snapback]

Ya know..I might take some flack for this...but I almost wish we toe the line on roscoe. If he doesnt want to sign for what he is worth, let him re-enter the draft and be taken in the 5th round. Its a tough thing to do (giving up a 2nd), but it would help show how much of a POS Rosenhous is, and might help to protect against mcgahee looking to renegotiate.

In fact, count me on board with not signing roscoe unless he gets a new agent. We have moulds/evans/reed/aiken...we dont NEED him. Lets make Rosenhouse look like a POS, and hopefully lose some clients.

In fact, count me on board with not signing roscoe unless he gets a new agent.  We have moulds/evans/reed/aiken...we dont NEED him.

With a first year starter at QB who's going to be doing his fair share of improvising, I would say that you NEED as many quick, talented WRs as you can get your hands on.

Roscoe should surely hold out. He's a proven veteran who has outperfromed his contract. Wait, I mean he was a high draft pick. How can Rosenhaus have any leverage at all in these negotiations, if there really is the threat of a holdout? I'm sure the Bills will gladly pay Roscoe what other high second round picks are making, but it would be interesting to hear how much he is really asking for.

In fact, count me on board with not signing roscoe unless he gets a new agent.  We have moulds/evans/reed/aiken...we dont NEED him.  Lets make Rosenhouse look like a POS, and hopefully lose some clients.

392633[/snapback]

I think you are getting a little carried away in saying we shouldn't sign Roscoe unless he dumps Rosenhaus. :D Camp doesn't start for two more days and Parrish is unsigned like a boatload of other drafted players. Hopefully he gets in camp by the end of the weekend.