(LAMP)Hootie Review...Eric get my back

They were very good. Huge crowd, the cold front settled in just as we got to the parking lot, so the weather was perfect. Hootie played for 2 hours, the crowd was great. The biggest highligts unfortunately were the cover tunes they kicked ass on. "Gin & Juice", "Surrender" & "Add it up". My take on Hootie is they do not have a solid Identity. They are a band that could be a really kick ass rock band, OR they could be a really kick ass Jam Band. Somehow they settled on mellower pop tunes, maybe it was money. I would bet that when they were coming up in SC, they probably really rocked the houses! Anyone see them back then. BTW Darius did have a cheesy cowboy hat on and some of his "dances" looked a bit fruity, but the chicks really dug him, and there was some major league talent in attendance. If you get the chance, they are definitely worth a few bucks for an entertaining evening.

I saw them coming up as I started grad school at SC in '95. Their album had just begun to get some airplay.

They would hang around 5 points and play the bars (for free) to hone their skills. They always sounded better on the covers than on their own music (IMHO).

They filmed an MTV Unplugged event on the campus. I "worked" the concert and was one of the few people allowed to walk around the crowd. the crowd had to stay seated during the show because of all the cameras.

After filming ended (about 15 songs with 3 repeats), Hootie played a couple of cover tunes as a "thank you" so everyone could get up and dance a little. They played "China Grove" and something else that I can't remember.

They'd probably be a great party band. Maybe weddings and barmitzvah's aren't too far away for them.

I saw them at the San Diego Zoo a couple months ago. Careerbuilder put on an event for a bunch of HR people, free food, free booze, and free Hootie. They sucked this time and they sucked the last time I saw them. Hootie is way too feminine, beyond all of the other negatives he is a DolFan.

They were very good.  Huge crowd, the cold front settled in just as we got to the parking lot, so the weather was perfect.  Hootie played for 2 hours, the crowd was great.  The biggest highligts unfortunately were the cover tunes they kicked ass on.  "Gin & Juice", "Surrender" & "Add it up".  My take on Hootie is they do not have a solid Identity.  They are a band that could be a really kick ass rock band, OR they could be a really kick ass Jam Band.  Somehow they settled on mellower pop tunes, maybe it was money.  I would bet that when they were coming up in SC, they probably really rocked the houses!  Anyone see them back then.  BTW Darius did have a cheesy cowboy hat on and some of his "dances" looked a bit fruity, but the chicks really dug him, and there was some major league talent in attendance.  If you get the chance, they are definitely worth a few bucks for an entertaining evening.

392119[/snapback]

The Gourds did the very first (there have been many now) and most amazing "Gin & Juice" cover...like 5 years ago!!! I guess I'm not surprised that Hootie couldn't be any more orignal. Personally, I think the whole ironic cover thing is done to death. But I guess people still listening to Hootie might disagree.

Have you ever seen this websight?

www.youhavebadtasteinmusic.com

I love that sight. I wonder if that guy will show up at the next hootie show.

Have you ever seen this websight?

www.youhavebadtasteinmusic.com

I love that sight. I wonder if that guy will show up at the next hootie show.

392486[/snapback]

The Wiggles and Hootie? No wonder you love that sight! :D

• 3 weeks later...

Hootie was at the Erie Basin Marina in Buffalo a few weeks back. The main reason I went was "The Great Train Robbery" played before them. This band rocks, check them out if you ever get the chance. As for Hootie, I admit the covers were pretty good, they did "add it up", "surrender", and "Keep your hands to yourself." But their new album was pretty lame, sounded very country'ish. The show seemed to drag and they only played a little over an hour.

Hootie was at the Erie Basin Marina in Buffalo a few weeks back.  The main reason I went was "The Great Train Robbery" played before them.  This band rocks, check them out if you ever get the chance.  As for Hootie, I admit the covers were pretty good, they did "add it up", "surrender", and "Keep your hands to yourself."  But their new album was pretty lame, sounded very country'ish.  The show seemed to drag and they only played a little over an hour.

412067[/snapback]

Wow. The Great Train Robbery??!! That brings back memories of some drunken nights at Nietzche's back in my college days. They are a great band, but I thought they broke up years ago for good?