"Compassionate Conservatives" Strike Again

huh?So I thought that the Roman Catholic religion was, like, the original Christian religion. Mayhap I missed one in there somewhere. Shoot all those years at Catholic school, what a waste.

Ah well, I guess it's good that they all turn on each other. Then they'll be too busy fighting the sectarian fight to worry about shoving their beliefs and supersticions down the throats of people who believe Christianity is more about doing the right thing by people than by worshipping statues of the Commandments and waving rosary beads.

huh?So I thought that the Roman Catholic religion was, like, the original Christian religion. Mayhap I missed one in there somewhere.  Shoot all those years at Catholic school, what a waste.

Ah well, I guess it's good that they all turn on each other.  Then they'll be too busy fighting the sectarian fight to worry about shoving their beliefs and supersticions down the throats of people who believe Christianity is more about doing the right thing by people than by worshipping statues of the Commandments and waving rosary beads.

382738[/snapback]

Who pissed in your Wheaties today?

Basing your view on one yahoo in Mississippi. How liberal of you. :lol:

Who pissed in your Wheaties today?

Basing your view on one yahoo in Mississippi.  How liberal of you. :lol:

382749[/snapback]

We all know making offensive, smug, ignorant blanket statements is one of the favorite pastimes of those elightened progressives these days.

What did you expect?

huh?So I thought that the Roman Catholic religion was, like, the original Christian religion. Mayhap I missed one in there somewhere.  Shoot all those years at Catholic school, what a waste.

Ah well, I guess it's good that they all turn on each other.  Then they'll be too busy fighting the sectarian fight to worry about shoving their beliefs and supersticions down the throats of people who believe Christianity is more about doing the right thing by people than by worshipping statues of the Commandments and waving rosary beads.

382738[/snapback]

WTF? So your response to bigotry is that it is a good thing after all. :lol:

The feeling view isn't mutual. The Catholic Church (from what I remember when I used to go) is that everyone will go to heaven.

Except Nazis, terrorists, and dolphin fans :lol::lol: !

this is nothing new in the "adoption agency world".

my sister in law is a "bible-beliving christian" and as that relates to how you would raise a child she put in her application that she would spank a child for dicipline purposes.

Proverbs 13:24 He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes.

the agency she applied through rejected her and stated as matter of fact that was the reason.

"Our practice to not accept applications from Catholics was an effort to be good stewards of an adoptive applicant's time, money and emotional energy."

Sounds to me like in the long run the agency was being kind to the family by nipping it in the bud before it went any further. In the example i gave above, my wifes family paid an application fee, that was not refunded.

She added: "If it's OK to accept our money, it should be OK to open your home to us as a family."

ok,...so because she gave money "indirectly" to a non-profit organization, she should be able to make or change policy for that organization?

Of $244,000 generated by the sale of the tags in 2004, Bethany received $7,053, said Geraldine Gray, treasurer of Choose Life Mississippi, which distributes the money.

that isn't that much money....and it certainly isn't clear how much of that $7,053. came from Catholics.

"It is troubling to me if they are discriminating based on only the Catholics," Gray said.

I can say without any doubt in my mind that this organization does not "discriminate" (and i don't think that is the right word) against just Catholics.

You probably consider yourself a compassionate conservative because the last time you bought a new fridge you put the box out at the curb so that some homeless person could live in it.  :P

383181[/snapback]

Normally Darin would shoot a homeless person who tried living on his property. :rolleyes:

You probably consider yourself a compassionate conservative because the last time you bought a new fridge you put the box out at the curb so that some homeless person could live in it.   :rolleyes:

383181[/snapback]

Get the rubber out of YOUR ass yet? Just wondering. Not really important, just curious. Or was it out of the dog in the avatar? I lose track. What perverted crap was I doing? I forget.

Yeah, you were talking to me, sport. You reminded us of insulting with no cause in the middle of a conversation. Witty you are. Feel pretty? Oh so witty?

Get the rubber out of YOUR ass yet? Just wondering. Not really important, just curious. Or was it out of the dog in the avatar? I lose track. What perverted crap was I doing? I forget.

Yeah, you were talking to me, sport. You reminded us of insulting with no cause in the middle of a conversation. Witty you are. Feel pretty? Oh so witty?

383304[/snapback]

Remind me not to piss you off.

:rolleyes:

Remind me not to piss you off.

:rolleyes:

383311[/snapback]

I keep track. I didn't appreciate the shot given the other day. I don't do that (pointless shots), and didn't deserve one. No reason for it. But, any guy with a yip yip lap dog for an avatar probably has issues anyway.

The feeling view isn't mutual. The Catholic Church  (from what I remember when I used to go) is that everyone will go to heaven.

Except Nazis, terrorists, and dolphin fans :rolleyes:  :P !

382979[/snapback]

You must have gone to a pretty liberal Catholic church. The one I went to pretty much excluded everyone, including babies who died unbaptized, people who missed Mass and didn't live to get rid of the mortal sin in Confession, or worst of all people who took Communion without having gone to confession. Miss Mass or Confession, hellfire awaits....

Commies, Jews and Protestants were also automatically hell-bound.

That's why I found this so ironically funny.

You must have gone to a pretty liberal Catholic church.  The one I went to pretty much excluded everyone, including babies who died unbaptized, people who missed Mass and didn't live to get rid of the mortal sin in Confession, or worst of all people who took Communion with having gone to confession.

383317[/snapback]

You must have missed Vatican 2?

You must have gone to a pretty liberal Catholic church.  The one I went to pretty much excluded everyone, including babies who died unbaptized, people who missed Mass and didn't live to get rid of the mortal sin in Confession, or worst of all people who took Communion without having gone to confession.  Miss Mass or Confession, hellfire awaits....

383317[/snapback]

I had an entire childhood's worth of Sunday school and spent four years at a Catholic high school, and I never heard anything close to what you described above.

We actually spent an entire year studying other religions in high school (pretty sure we even visited places of worship for other faiths too) and were taught to respect other faiths.

I had an entire childhood's worth of Sunday school and spent four years at a Catholic high school, and I never heard anything close to what you described above.

We actually spent an entire year studying other religions in high school (pretty sure we even visited places of worship for other faiths too) and were taught to respect other faiths.

383382[/snapback]

Interesting. Where did you grow up? My mother grew up in Brooklyn and went thru Catholic school all the way, same story. HER mother too.

I remember when our pastor died all us kids had to file by the casket, I was 6 years old and it scared me to death. My parents even sent me to a Catholic summer camp, it was my first and last time, it was just horrific.

It seems like my parish would have been quite at home in the Dark Ages. My husband grew up Catholic in Dallas and his experience sounds like yours. In MY school they told us that the Commies would put nails in our eyeballs and the Chinese would put bamboo slivers under our fingernails to make us deny Jesus.

And then there were those butt-ugly uniforms....

I just went to CCD classes (Sunday school) at Resurection in Cheektowaga until I got confirmed in 8th grade. We had lay people teach it, not any nuns. Maybe they didn't teach it that way, but thats's what I got out of it.

The pastor was pretty down to earth. When my father went to arrange my brother's christening, they had Crown Royal and cigars for a couple of hours. He told my father he started the lawn fetes at our parish because you have to give people something back for all the money they give.

I just went to CCD classes (Sunday school)  at Resurection in Cheektowaga  until I got confirmed in 8th grade.  We had lay people teach it, not any nuns.  Maybe they didn't teach it that way, but thats's what I got out of it.

The pastor was pretty down to earth. When my father went to arrange my brother's christening, they had Crown Royal and cigars for a couple of hours.  He told my father he started the lawn fetes at our parish because you have to give people something  back for all the money they give.

383519[/snapback]

My mom became a lay teacher at our local religion school and she and the others who didn't teach STRICTLY to the good old Baltimore Catechism were kicked out. For example, my 5th grade book had, literally, a picture on the cover of people climbing out of this filmy-looking Purgatory, up a ladder into the clouds where a lily-white Jesus, some saints and angels awaited. And anyone who didn't follow this fundamentalist mentality and threatened to bring reality and humanity to religion in that parish, was a "heretic".

The pastor in that parish (not the dead one I referred to, a different parish after we moved) was a big lush too. What a hypocrite.

Hard to believe that the Diocese headed by Bishop Fulton Sheen had nut jobs like that. Maybe if he had stayed longer he would have done some housecleaning.

My favorite priest as a child was cool like the one you describe - we love him. He literally dropped dead of heart failure at age 33. We always thought there was something to him dying of a broken heart at the same as a Jesus was when He died.

When I was 12 we ran into a bunch of nuns in the inner-city and they were cool. One took us to see Jesus Christ, Superstar and when I asked what the funny smell was she immediately asked "you've never smelled pot before?".

And by age 13 we dropped the Church and pretty much everything to do with it. So my last memories weren't so bad but the first 12 years were pretty much a nightmare.

Interesting.  Where did you grow up?  My mother grew up in Brooklyn and went thru Catholic school all the way, same story.  HER mother too.

383441[/snapback]

Grew up in Buffalo, NY. Member of Resurrection Church. Graduate of St. Francis High School.

My dad tells me nutty stories too. His parents were divorced in the 1950s and the nuns at his school actually punished him for it. The thought of people treating my father poorly when he was a kid makes me delirious with rage but there's nothing I can do. Thankfully, everything I experienced was the exact opposite.

You must have gone to a pretty liberal Catholic church. The one I went to pretty much excluded everyone, including babies who died unbaptized, people who missed Mass and didn't live to get rid of the mortal sin in Confession, or worst of all people who took Communion without having gone to confession. Miss Mass or Confession, hellfire awaits....

Aha - the irony....what goes around, comes around. A little taste of one's own medicine.

When I lived in WNY, I had two Roman Catholic priests refuse me the sacraments because they knew I was Anglican.

And by the way, it's "Roman" Catholic.

ok,...so because she gave money "indirectly" to a non-profit organization, she should be able to make or change policy for that organization?

383030[/snapback]

Actually, that is exactly what we do when it comes to abortion and contraception the right wingers view as the equivalent of abortion. In fact that has been one of the biggest sure fire winners for the right, making sure that public money never directly or indirectly supports abortion here or in other nations through foreign aid.

If they can demand how their money is spent because of their religious views, why can't I demand that my money doesn't benefit people who don't think I, as a catholic, am a christian?

I checked out their web site and message forums and there are people there reporting the same treatment of catholic applicants in Maryland. Other chimed in with how the Jackson office of Bethany was justified because indeed, catholicism may not be consistent with their christian statement of faith.

What I find most amazing is that the right on this board is so programmed to defend their side that we actually have to debate the merits of a "no catholics need apply" adoption agency policy. I would have thought that to democrats and republicans alike such a policy would be neither defended nor minimized.

Actually, that is exactly what we do when it comes to abortion and contraception the right wingers view as the equivalent of abortion.  In fact that has been one of the biggest sure fire winners for the right, making sure that public money never directly or indirectly supports abortion here or in other nations through foreign aid.

If they can demand how their money is spent because of their religious views, why can't I demand that my money doesn't benefit people who don't think I, as a catholic, am a christian?

I checked out their web site and message forums and there are people there reporting the same treatment of catholic applicants in Maryland.  Other chimed in with how the Jackson office of Bethany was justified because indeed, catholicism may not be consistent with their christian statement of faith.

What I find most amazing is that the right on this board is so programmed to defend their side that we actually have to debate the merits of a "no catholics need apply" adoption agency policy.  I would have thought that to democrats and republicans alike such a policy would be neither defended nor minimized.

384473[/snapback]

Simple - convince the voters and you will have your way. Calling them stupid seems to have been a crashing failure. Implying stereotype motive to others is another idea that seems to be less than effective. Sometimes, I wonder about you upper-crusters :doh:

Party on, Mickey. :lol:

Aha - the irony....what goes around, comes around. A little taste of one's own medicine.

When I lived in WNY, I had two Roman Catholic priests refuse me the sacraments because they knew I was Anglican.

And by the way, it's "Roman" Catholic.

384430[/snapback]

On the bright side. I have always been impressed with Catholic

Charities for which there is "no religious test for those in need."

On the bright side. I have always been impressed with Catholic

Charities for which there is "no religious test for those in need."

384486[/snapback]

And St. Vincent de Paul.

And Mother Teresa.

Millions, daily, worldwide breath and are nourished and tended to in their infirmities thanks to that funny bunch of varied papists.

And St. Vincent de Paul.

And Mother Teresa.

Millions, daily, worldwide breath and are nourished and tended to in their infirmities thanks to that funny bunch of varied papists.

384506[/snapback]

Oh, but they are only a bunch of statue worshiping weinie eaters.

Graduate of St. Francis High School.

When I was young, I got in so much trouble my parents decided to send me away to board at St Francis. I had to work for the school after school and on weekends to pay for my tuition (cleaning, groundskeeping). They took me out to come back home and go to public school two years later. Didn't care for the situation much at first, but given a choice, I wanted to stay there through graduation. What a great school.

Oh, but they are only a bunch of statue worshiping weinie eaters.

384508[/snapback]

So our core documents and beliefs are a joke? Without those "anachronisms", your life, mine, and the world's would have had an alternative fate.

You own much to those weinie eaters. The natural resources and isolation of this nation sans that Christian guidance, with all it's warts, may well have enslaved the globe and presaged Orwell's "1984".

It's nice to enjoy the luxury of biting the hand that feeds you, or your predecessors, isn't it. :doh: