Verba getting some interest from Buffalo?

We should have been spending more picks sooner, like about 4 - 5 years ago.

But, oh well.  Seems funny that the weekest unit on the team has the most

free agents.

382565[/snapback]

Oh, you mean like Mike Williams, Marcus Price, Jonas Jennings....?

Not to be picky, Bills Brother, but it is flat wrong to assert that there has been no effort to draft o-linemen in the Donohoe era. Without the full drafts in front of me, I would guess that the Bills have drafted at least one lineman every year, and signed several others various ways. Not all have worked out, but that is true of all positions everywhere. There is always a certain luck of the draw factor, especially in the offensive line.

Go Bills!

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to be picky, Bills Brother, but it is flat wrong to assert that there has been no effort to draft o-linemen in the Donohoe era. Without the full drafts in front of me, I would guess that the Bills have drafted at least one lineman every year, and signed several others various ways. Not all have worked out, but that is true of all positions everywhere. There is always a certain luck of the draw factor, especially in the offensive line.

Go Bills!

382579[/snapback]

I agree, there has been an effort.

====

3 95 Jonas Jennings T Georgia

5 144 Marques Sullivan T Illinois

====

1 4 Mike Williams T Texas

7 215 Mike Pucillo G Auburn

====

5 151 Ben Sobieski G Iowa

====

7 207 Dylan McFarland T Montana

I agree, there has been an effort.

====

3 95 Jonas Jennings T Georgia

5 144 Marques Sullivan T Illinois

====

1 4 Mike Williams T Texas

7 215 Mike Pucillo G Auburn

====

5 151 Ben Sobieski G Iowa

====

7 207 Dylan McFarland T Montana

382595[/snapback]

Nice research!

The Browns promised to re-visit his contract after last season.  Unfortunately for Verba, that didn't happen.  I don't think his character is that much in question.  He was told one thing and the team did another. 

I'd want out too

382488[/snapback]

Agreed.  I wouldn't judge his character on this situation alone.  He definately got bent over by Butch Davis.  Of course, he should know the ol' verbal "promise" doesn't get you anywhere.  But the Browns lied to him and he was pissed, and I can't blame him for wanting to start somewhere else.  Maybe if you're on a good team and you like your situation, you think of the whole and try to work it out.  But hey, it's Cleveland.  Get me out.

382498[/snapback]

You hafta remember it was davis and the old browns guard that promised him this...then they got their new GM and coach, so basically davis's verbal agreement amounts to a whole lot of sh-- if the new guard doesnt think you're worth it...

So no, he didnt get screwed...

Not the kind of guy I would want here!

382486[/snapback]

its the browns. who wouldnt have a problem playing for the browns.

we need a OT. hes good for 2, maybe 3, more years. but if we get him, we will need to make room for his deal and to sign our draft picks.

I'd feel a lot better about our oline with ross verba than I would with Mike Gandy, a reasonable 2-3 year deal would be good. Than we can draft a lt in next years draft to be verba's replacement, but for now Verba would be a good addition from a football standpoint.

You hafta remember it was davis and the old browns guard that promised him this...then they got their new GM and coach, so basically davis's verbal agreement amounts to a whole lot of sh-- if the new guard doesnt think you're worth it...

So no, he didnt get screwed...

382631[/snapback]

How is that not getting screwed? He had no control over the management situation when the season started. He had no control over the GM or the coach being fired.

I'm not saying that the new management team was obligated to make good on the former's promises, but from Verba's standpoint wouldn't you expect them too? They didn't and he moved on.

He got a raw deal even if it wasn't from current management

How is that not getting screwed?  He had no control over the management situation when the season started.  He had no control over the GM or the coach being fired.

I'm not saying that the new management team was obligated to make good on the former's promises, but from Verba's standpoint wouldn't you expect them too?  They didn't and he moved on. 

He got a raw deal even if it wasn't from current management

382663[/snapback]

ok, yah i see your point...he did get screwed, but if was new mamagement, so you can expect changes...it was new ll the way up, and new GM's hafta take the franchise in the direction they want, regardless of old "verbal" contracts...its tough to blame the new staff for not honoring the old contract if they estimated he wasnt worth it...

ok, yah i see your point...he did get screwed, but if was new mamagement, so you can expect changes...it was new ll the way up, and new GM's hafta take the franchise in the direction they want, regardless of old "verbal" contracts...its tough to blame the new staff for not honoring the old contract if they estimated he wasnt worth it...

382666[/snapback]

I'm not disagreeing with you that his value in the franchise was not as great as he thought it was, I just think people questioning his character based on him leaving the Browns is unfair.

As for the rape issue at his home, that is a different situation. If anything materializes from it then I guess we have to revisit the question, but as for now I think he's atleast worth a look.

t-r

Does absolutely nobody crae that alleged rapes took place in his house within a month?

382680[/snapback]

\

If charges are actually brought up I think alot more people will care. It's wait and see time..

Does absolutely nobody crae that alleged rapes took place in his house within a month?

382680[/snapback]

I am not sure about this but as far as I know, Verba was not remotely involved in the allegations, and was never even accused of any wrongdoing whatsoever. There were incidents of rape at his house from other people or players but none of even those allegations amounted to lawsuits.

If he was invloved in any way, I would not want anything to do with him. But I don't think he was. I'm sure a lot of crazy things happened at Jim Kelly's house when he was throwing those Sunday Night parties, but if players were doing drugs or getting into trouble with women, I do not think you could blame Kelly, or think he was degenerate,, or not to be trusted because they happened at his house.

Go Bills!

382579[/snapback]

You raise a good point. TD has done a much better job than Mr. Butler in bringing offensive linemen to Buffalo. The problem is, this is not saying much, because the OL was one area where Mr. Butler really screwed up.

Jenning was a very good pick in round 3.

MW was a not so good pick at #4.

Pucillo...what need I say?

Teague was a good pickup.

Villarial was a GREAT signing.

Of course, it is far to early to judge Gandy, Andersen, nor the 4th and sixth picks of 04.

The perceived hole at LT remains an issue, as does the contract of MW, but it appears that the OL might be deeper this season. If Andersen can play, this will be the first time in more than a decade that the Bills will have a pair of strong guards, something vital for the running game. Hopefully, Tucker will be healthy and provide experienced depth.

In all, when factoring in McNally, the Bills seem to be digging themselves out of "OL Hell." I guess it was not fast enough for some, and frankly, I don't blame them.

I found this related link interesting:

Fredo Laponza reference from Average Joe

On the subject of signing Verba, I hope TD is seriously looking into it. We should be able to sign him for a relatively cheap, low-risk contract with bonus incentives contingent on him not getting into any serious legal trouble.

For those not wanting to even entertain the thought of signing Verba, I politely request that you put down your crack pipe and go check out our OL roster. It's a horror show. We have only 3 players that are legitimate starters in this league - Williams, Villarial, and Teague.

I found this related link interesting:

Fredo Laponza reference from Average Joe

We have only 3 players that are legitimate starters in this league -Williams,Villarial, and Teague.

382730[/snapback]

Benny Anderson is proven. I think they have both started for a few years. I say 4 proven and one gaping whole.

Benny Anderson is proven. I think they have both started for a few years. I say 4 proven and one gaping whole.

382731[/snapback]

Bennie is a one-dimensional player who started in Baltimore only because of widespread injury problems to their roster. He is too fat and has zero pass blocking skills. The Ravens organization and fans don't miss him. If he was signed to be our definitive solution at LG, then McNally's and TD's arrogance knows no bounds.

EDIT: I'd prefer Gandy at LG over Bennie. I think Gandy has the potential to be a solid starter there. However, that still leaves the crucial LT position open.

Bennie is a one-dimensional player who started in Baltimore only because of widespread injury problems to their roster. He is too fat and has zero pass blocking skills.  The Ravens organization and fans don't miss him. If he was signed to be our definitive solution at LG, then McNally's and TD's arrogance knows no bounds.

EDIT: I'd prefer Gandy at LG over Bennie. I think Gandy has the potential to be a solid starter there. However, that still leaves the crucial LT position open.

382733[/snapback]

Word.

Bennie is a one-dimensional player who started in Baltimore only because of widespread injury problems to their roster. He is too fat and has zero pass blocking skills.  The Ravens organization and fans don't miss him. If he was signed to be our definitive solution at LG, then McNally's and TD's arrogance knows no bounds.

382733[/snapback]

Bennie Anderson was mostly a full-time starter all four seasons at Baltimore. He started 13 games as a rookie free agent, 16 the next year, 15 the year Jamal rushed for the second most yards in history and 12 games last year, missing a couple due to injury.