Verba getting some interest from Buffalo?

Bennie is a one-dimensional player who started in Baltimore only because of widespread injury problems to their roster. He is too fat and has zero pass blocking skills.  The Ravens organization and fans don't miss him. If he was signed to be our definitive solution at LG, then McNally's and TD's arrogance knows no bounds.

EDIT: I'd prefer Gandy at LG over Bennie. I think Gandy has the potential to be a solid starter there. However, that still leaves the crucial LT position open.

382733[/snapback]

So the Ravens couldnt find a suitable replacement for him during his 4 years as a starter? If he was that bad, dont you think they would have stopped the "experiment" during the first offseason? I've heard nothing but good things about Anderson being used on our O-Line and I think he'll do very well.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I found this related link interesting:

Fredo Laponza reference from Average Joe

On the subject of signing Verba, I hope TD is seriously looking into it. We should be able to sign him for a relatively cheap, low-risk contract with bonus incentives contingent on him not getting into any serious legal trouble.

For those not wanting to even entertain the thought of signing Verba, I politely request that you put down your crack pipe and go check out our OL roster. It's a horror show. We have only 3 players that are legitimate starters in this league - Williams, Villarial, and Teague.

382730[/snapback]

I find your posts very objective, especially regarding the O-Line.

Can I quote you on the highlight portion above? LOL

So many on this board think, believe, hope (it's hard to tell which),

once again that the O-line will be fine, when it hasn't been "fine" in about

a decade.

I really can't believe we are going to start basic rookie QB with this line,

and especially not having an LT of any quality.

Verba's home was alleged as the site of two rapes. Verba was never considered a suspect in either case.

I am sure this will be a subject discussed...sounds like a questionable posse with which Mr. Verba hangs.

I could go for something like this...

2 year deal....$1 M signing bonus.....salaries $750K year one; $1.25 Million year two -- if he checks out health wise...add about $500 K in incentives each year for snaps, post season recognition, off season workout participation...

Cap hit this year would be exactly the open slot we gain with Travis...

this is a lot more than anyone else is offering...We need another veteran no matter who starts. the depth is very, very worrisome..the competition on the line needs to be better. I would welcome him.

Allegation One

Allegation two

So the Ravens couldnt find a suitable replacement for him during his 4 years as a starter?  If he was that bad, dont you think they would have stopped the "experiment" during the first offseason?  I've heard nothing but good things about Anderson being used on our O-Line and I think he'll do very well.

382742[/snapback]

I don't know why Baltimore stuck with Bennie Anderson. Probably for the same reasons that we stuck with Jerry O. for so long, or why Ross Tucker has been starting many games for us the past 2 years.... Guys like Bennie and Tucker and Ostroski are great backups, so they stick around. But injuries occur, and they are forced to play as starters for extended periods of time. Doesn't mean they are quality starters.

If Bennie is a sure-fire starting LG in this league, then why did Baltimore not even bother to resign him? Why did they choose Keydrick Vincent instead for the same approximate salary? Why did Bennie not attract any suitors on the open market?

I don't know why Baltimore stuck with Bennie Anderson. Probably for the same reasons that we stuck with Jerry O. for so long, or why Ross Tucker has been starting many games for us the past 2 years.... Guys like Bennie are great backups, so they stick around. But injuries occur, and they are forced to play as starters for extended periods of time.

If Bennie is a sure-fire starting LG in this league, then why did Baltimore not even bother to resign him? Why did they choose Keydrick Vincent instead for the same approximate salary? Why did Bennie not attract any suitors on the open market?

382748[/snapback]

So you're advocating we jump on Ross Verba? Why didn't the Browns try to resign him? Why did they choose Lonnie Shelton over him? Why did he not attract other suitors in the open market?

Anderson played due to injuries to Leon Searcy (line had to be shuffled), Mike Flynn, Edwin Mulitalo, and at least one other player, I forget. He never really had the starting position locked. Kelso's Helmet is correct.

So you're advocating we jump on Ross Verba? Why didn't the Browns try to resign him? Why did they choose Lonnie Shelton over him? Why did he not attract other suitors in the open market?

382750[/snapback]

Why are you quoting yourself? Reference your tag at bottum of posts.

Websters:

Quoting -

1. To repeat or copy the words of (another), usually with acknowledgment of the source.

382750[/snapback]

No, I'm not advocating we "jump" on Verba. All I've suggested is that we seriously consider signing him if he drastically lowers his asking price.

It doesn't mean I think he'll be our savior at LT; all it means is that I think we are in NO position to be so selective in regards to who tries out for our OL.

Currently, this OL flat out blows. Like So Cal Surf said, this OL has been blowing for well over a decade now. It's bad enough that TD thinks one good OL coach justifies 5 years of relatively poor free agent OL signing and drafting during his tenure....but perhaps it's even worse to see so many loyal long-time Bills fans oblivious to the state of the OL as well.

Why are you quoting yourself?  Reference your tag at bottum of posts.

Websters:

Quoting -

1. To repeat or copy the words of (another), usually with acknowledgment of the source.

382756[/snapback]

I was simply copying the etymology of the word from Webster's as a public service for the ill-informed.

No, I'm not advocating we "jump" on Verba. All I've suggested is that we seriously consider signing him if he drastically lowers his asking price.

It doesn't mean I think he'll be our savior at LT; all it means is that I think we are in NO position to be so selective in regards to who tries out for our OL.

Currently, this OL flat out blows. Like So Cal Surf said, this OL has been blowing for well over a decade now. It's bad enough that TD thinks one good OL coach justifies 5 years of relatively poor free agent OL signing and drafting during his tenure....but perhaps it's even worse to see so many loyal long-time Bills fans oblivious to the state of the OL as well.

382758[/snapback]

You have not seen this OL play together yet. You do not know if this OL blows. You have not seen this OL play with a different quarterback yet. You havent seen this Ol play with a healthy Willis McGahee yet. You haven't seen this OL play after most of the players have a year under McNally's belt where they showed drastic improvement yet. You haven't seen this OL play after a year under MM and TC's tutelage yet. You can have an opinion that they will blow but we will wait and see. The best OL's in the league are not full of big names and #1 draft picks. They are units that are coached well, that mesh together, that play as one, that play extended periods of time together, that utilize strengths and mask weaknesses, that play in offenses that put players and playmakers in good position to make plays.

You have not seen this OL play together yet. You do not know if this OL blows. You have not seen this OL play with a different quarterback yet. You havent seen this Ol play with a healthy Willis McGahee yet. You haven't seen this OL play after most of the players have a year under McNally's belt where they showed drastic improvement yet. You haven't seen this OL play after a year under MM and TC's tutelage yet. You can have an opinion that they will blow but we will wait and see. The best OL's in the league are not full of big names and #1 draft picks. They are units that are coached well, that mesh together, that play as one, that play extended periods of time together, that utilize strengths and mask weaknesses, that play in offenses that put players and playmakers in good position to make plays.

382771[/snapback]

Repetiblivious:

Websters -

1. Repeating ones self, or a given thought or series of thoughts and phrases,

over and over again, without regard to audience.

2. Speaking or writing in a repetitive fashion, being oblivious to those who may or

may not be hearing of listening.

Repetiblivious:

Websters -

1.  Repeating ones self, or a given thought or series of thoughts and phrases, 

2.  Speaking ot writing in a repetitive fashion, being oblivious to those who may or

382777[/snapback]

Use this word in a sentence.

When discussing Tom Donahoe, SoCal-Surf is repetiblivious.

Use this word in a sentence.

When discussing Tom Donahoe, SoCal-Surf is repetiblivious.

382778[/snapback]

LOL. I know that's a dig, but it is DAMN funny! Seriously!

:lol:

382771[/snapback]

I'm a very practical, results-oriented guy. To me, talk is cheap. And each preseason, since 1996, we've been fed this exact same optimistic bull sh-- talk about our OL - from both JB and TD.

The offense's results on the field since 1996 speak for themselves. So excuse me when I express a little pessimism about the latest offseason shenanigans related to our Bills' OL.

Allow me to reassert my opinion on this thread topic: if Verba, an 8-year starting LT, is willing to lower his contractual demands to a reasonably low-risk level, then it wouldn't hurt much to give him a chance to compete with the likes of (shudder...) Gandy, Teague, Peters, and McFarland for the starting LT spot.

Repetiblivious:

Websters -

1.  Repeating ones self, or a given thought or series of thoughts and phrases, 

2.  Speaking or writing in a repetitive fashion, being oblivious to those who may or

382777[/snapback]

One has to repeat things here or others don't comprehend, one has to repeat things here or others don't remember, one has to repeat things here or others don't get it, one has to repeat things here or their post count is low, one has to repeat things here for emphasis, one has to repeat things here for reasons I can't even comprehend. :lol:

One has to repeat things here or others don't comprehend, one has to repeat things here or others don't remember, one has to repeat things here or others don't get it, one has to repeat things here or their post count is low, one has to repeat things here for emphasis, one has to repeat things here for reasons I can't even comprehend.  :lol:

382786[/snapback]

:lol:

Well said, very good, spot on, allll-righty then.

We should have been spending more picks sooner, like about 4 - 5 years ago.

But, oh well.  Seems funny that the weekest unit on the team has the most

free agents.

382565[/snapback]

You mean like Jonas Jennings, who TD picked in his first draft with the Bills? Also, the O-line improved as the season went on. It wasn't the "weakest unit" at the end of the season.

As for the "weakest unit", the QB position was far worse the the offensive line. It was addressed. We will see how well it was addressed this fall.

I would say that the worst unit when TD got here was LB, followed by RB, followed by a tie between the D-line, O-line, and QB. He has done pretty well with LB, RB, and D-Line.

There were people last year whining about the high motor D-Line last year. That was answered last year. Hopefully the O-Line will perform to your expectations this year.

You mean like Jonas Jennings, who TD picked in his first draft with the Bills?  Also, the O-line improved as the season went on.  It wasn't the "weakest unit" at the end of the season.

As for the "weakest unit", the QB position was far worse the the offensive line.  It was addressed.  We will see how well it was addressed this fall. 

I would say that the worst unit when TD got here was LB, followed by RB, followed by a tie between the D-line, O-line, and QB.  He has done pretty well with LB, RB, and D-Line.

There were people last year whining about the high motor D-Line last year.  That was answered last year.  Hopefully the O-Line will perform to your expectations this year.

382790[/snapback]

Yes, Jonas Jennings, who plays for SF right now. It kills me when people

reference players not on the roster. It was a good pick. He's gone. It was probably a given he would leave via free agency. Where is his replacement?

Is this line better without him?

And the O-line was and is the weakest unit on the team.

How many starting O-linemen does that leave us with that the Bills have drafted?

One.

Yes, Jonas Jennings, who plays for SF right now.  It kills me when people

reference players not on the roster.  It was a good pick.  He's gone.  It was probably a given he would leave via free agency.  Where is his replacement? 

How many starting O-linemen does that leave us with that the Bills have drafted?

One.

382798[/snapback]

Gotta agree with with Socal on this one. I believe the o-line has been the weakest unit on this team for quite some time IMO. Drew kept it close though :lol:

Yes, Jonas Jennings, who plays for SF right now.  It kills me when people

reference players not on the roster.  It was a good pick.  He's gone.  It was probably a given he would leave via free agency.  Where is his replacement? 

One.

382798[/snapback]

Do you think the draft should consist only of O-Linemen? There have been other holes to fill, as I said in the previous post.

My point was that a player drafted 4-5 years ago is not necessarily going to stay on ther roster. If we had retained Jennings the team would have been made worse because of his salary. He simply wasn't worth the price.

The New England O-Line was considered suspect when Bledsoe was behind center. Suddenly it improved behind Brady.

By the way, this thread was hijacked by you. It was supposed to be about Verba, and I got distracted by your crusade.

If Verba came here for a year or two, that would be great. Just don't blow up the salary cap for him.