Verba getting some interest from Buffalo?

Verba finding little interest:

Jul 15 - The Bills might have some interest in Verba, who is finding life in the open market to be something less than he expected, ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli. Buffalo officials touched base with Verba's representatives this week, inquiring about his status and his plans, thus keeping him on their radar screen.

Verba secured his release from Cleveland after agreeing to repay a $465,000 roster bonus. He had been seeking to renegotiate his contract, which had two more seasons at $2.95 million per, and was seeking a five-year deal worth about $38.5 million.

However, the Beacon-Journal notes that his public spat with the Browns might have raised questions about his character. There already were questions about his age (32 in October) and durability (he missed all of 2003 with a biceps injury.

ESPN.com's John Clayton previously had suggested the Texans have the necessary cap room and could consider signing Verba.

Everyone knew he wasn't going to get the fat contract he was demanding. Is there a chance he comes around? I wouldn't mind seeing him here to compete for the Left tackle position.

Thoughts?

t-r

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

However, the Beacon-Journal notes that his public spat with the Browns might have raised questions about his character.

Not the kind of guy I would want here!

Not the kind of guy I would want here!

382486[/snapback]

The Browns promised to re-visit his contract after last season. Unfortunately for Verba, that didn't happen. I don't think his character is that much in question. He was told one thing and the team did another.

I'd want out too

The Browns promised to re-visit his contract after last season.  Unfortunately for Verba, that didn't happen.  I don't think his character is that much in question.  He was told one thing and the team did another. 

I'd want out too

382488[/snapback]

Agreed. I wouldn't judge his character on this situation alone. He definately got bent over by Butch Davis. Of course, he should know the ol' verbal "promise" doesn't get you anywhere. But the Browns lied to him and he was pissed, and I can't blame him for wanting to start somewhere else. Maybe if you're on a good team and you like your situation, you think of the whole and try to work it out. But hey, it's Cleveland. Get me out.

Verba should be good for another 3 years and if he's now willing to accept less I would welcome him to an offensive line that needs all the help they can get. He can play Tackle or Guard which I'm sure the Bills like not knowing how Gandy will perform.

I would take him for a year, for a fair contract - 2 million with no strings attached and no bonus, then use picks 2 and 3 to get a couple of O-Linemen (hell, TD can even get them from Miami if he wants).

382521[/snapback]

wow, how many o-linemen do we need? we spent like 2-3 picks on oline the last few years. there are other positions on the team.

Agreed.  I wouldn't judge his character on this situation alone.  He definately got bent over by Butch Davis.  Of course, he should know the ol' verbal "promise" doesn't get you anywhere.  But the Browns lied to him and he was pissed, and I can't blame him for wanting to start somewhere else.  Maybe if you're on a good team and you like your situation, you think of the whole and try to work it out.  But hey, it's Cleveland.  Get me out.

382498[/snapback]

Lets not forget two alleged rapes at his house within a month. One has been dismissed, but they are still investigating the other I think.

No thanks. Once I can dismiss has a money grubbing ho, but two accusations of rape within a month leads me to believe where there is smoke.......

I've thought all along that they will be making another roster addition before camp and once the Henry transaction is completed. This makes sense for a good price and could be our transition guy until we take one of the 1st round tackles available in next years draft. Getting him for two years would provide us a lot of flexibility. Just going by a conversation on Sirius, they felt LJ Shelton was a downgrade from Verba, so from a football perspective he should be able to help us.

wow, how many o-linemen do we need? we spent like 2-3 picks on oline the last few years. there are other positions on the team.

382538[/snapback]

We should have been spending more picks sooner, like about 4 - 5 years ago.

But, oh well. Seems funny that the weekest unit on the team has the most

free agents.

He can help the line even if it is only as a backup. I can put my trust in the coaches that they know what they are doing with the starters, but I don't think for a minute we have a chance if anyone goes down. Whether Verba can win the LT position or not, we would at least have some depth.

That is of course if he has come down off his high hoarse enough to take much less than he was asking for.

We should have been spending more picks sooner, like about 4 - 5 years ago.

But, oh well.  Seems funny that the weekest unit on the team has the most

free agents.

382565[/snapback]

Actually, as a percentage of starters, 100% of the Bills linebackers are FAs. And that's the strongest unit on the team.

Actually, as a percentage of starters, 100% of the Bills linebackers are FAs.  And that's the strongest unit on the team.

382568[/snapback]

I thought about that while writing the post. Good point.

O-line still more in number, also has had a lot more turnover of

free agent O-linemen over the past four - five years.