Talking to a friend who is a Lions Fan about JP

MrLocke

So like the topic title says I was talking to a friend who happens to be a Lions fan and he was very insistent that for the Bills this would be a season where the Bills win in the range of 6 games. He kept on insisting that because JP is only in his second season and this is his first season starting that the Bills will struggle. He raises a good point, as very few quarterbacks come in and are succesful right away. There are the obvious exceptions Marino, Roethlisberger and also I thought Byron Leftwhich was solid as a rookie. I kept on countering with the argument that very few young quarterbacks come into as good a situation as JP Buffalo having the #2 defense and #1 special teams plus he has good skill position players with Moulds, Evans, Mcgahee and Shelton. I also raised the point that the Bills won 9 games with Bledsoe at QB and that it should not be too difficult for JP to match Bledsoe's play. Finnally I raised the point (Now I am not sure if this was Mularkey's call or Cowher's call) that in Pittsburgh when Kordell Stewart was struggling he made the right choice to go with Tommy Maddox and that the Bledsoe Losman situation was similar and that Mularkey was making the right choice to go with Losman over Bledsoe. Anyway I'm just wondering what it is with other's that makes you Comfortable With Losman at QB? I should add that I think the Bills have a top notch backup in Kelly Holcomb as I think Cleveland could have been succesful with him at QB with a better defense.

Your friend is right and you are obviously a maroon who doesn't know how to use the return key (you know - the BIG one on the right-hand side of your keyboard thingy). The Bills are doomed. They're a complete write-off on every opponent's calendar this year. Each team is circling every occurence of the word "BUFFALO" in thick red marker and putting a huge "W" next to it. The very lucky teams in the AFC East get to do that TWICE each! :D

Oh what a wonderful time to be an opponent of the Bills. Comfortable with Losman? A Rookie Quarterback! Hah! Who's comfortable with a rookie quarterback? We're not going to win a friggin game! ;)

I have to stop now. I'm getting chest pains.

[/sARCASM]

So like the topic title says I was talking to a friend who happens to be a Lions fan and he was very insistent that for the Bills this would be a season where the Bills win in the range of 6 games.

381340[/snapback]

You know I was waiting for somebody to finally post some feedback from a Lions fan. As we all know, Detriot football fans are the *most* knowledgeable and are the only ones *I* listen to. :D

Saying that few QBs can come right in an win is as obvious of a statement as saying that few rookie or second year pitchers throw 300Ks and win 20 games.

So like the topic title says I was talking to a friend who happens to be a Lions fan and he was very insistent that for the Bills this would be a season where the Bills win in the range of 6 games. He kept on insisting that because JP is only in his second season and this is his first season starting that the Bills will struggle. He raises a good point, as very few quarterbacks come in and are succesful right away. There are the obvious exceptions Marino, Roethlisberger and also I thought Byron Leftwhich was solid as a rookie. I kept on countering with the argument that very few young quarterbacks come into as good a situation as JP Buffalo having the #2 defense and #1 special teams plus he has good skill position players with Moulds, Evans, Mcgahee and Shelton. I also raised the point that the Bills won 9 games with Bledsoe at QB and that it should not be too difficult for JP to match Bledsoe's play. Finnally I raised the point (Now I am not sure if this was Mularkey's call or Cowher's call) that in Pittsburgh when Kordell Stewart was struggling he made the right choice to go with Tommy Maddox and that the Bledsoe Losman situation was similar and that Mularkey was making the right choice to go with Losman over Bledsoe. Anyway I'm just wondering what it is with other's that makes you Comfortable With Losman at QB? I should add that I think the Bills have a top notch backup in Kelly Holcomb as I think Cleveland could have been succesful with him at QB with a better defense.

381340[/snapback]

"MrLocke" - Objectivity is almost impossible to find inside WNY let alone outside! Your points are well taken but you are wasting your time trying to convince anyone ESPECIALLY outside of Buffalo. JP will simply have to go out and do it.

The keys to JP's season is a lot like you say and also like "canbuffan34" is stating in his complaints about the rags thread, the coaching is going to play a MAJOR role in how well JP performs. Unlike a veteran who has established his own way of doing things, JP is much more able to listen, learn, and adjust. The game plan - unlike almost every brand new QB in the league - will not be focused on him but on the rungame. Most newbie QB's are on weak teams and the new QB's play is the key role. That is hardly the case in Buffalo. JP is the caretaker of the offense. IF he performs well, his role will expand. Defenses will be set up to STOP THE RUNGAME not the passing game.

Look at the great Peyton Manning: The first few times the Bills played them, the defense was focused on stopping Manning. it worked....to a point. The key for Manning was the addition of James (obviously adding Harrison helped too!) JP comes into a similar situation as Roethlesberger except JP has a full year of practice under his belt PLUS he knew by late February that he would be the starter. Ben was thrown into the fire in Week 3. Ben was susccesful due to a great ST, defense, rungame AND a gameplan where he was not the key player.

If JP is well prepared and IF the coaching staff puts together a game plan geared to what JP CAN do right now, there is every reason to expect him to at least match Drew's performance (Drew was # 27 out of 32 teams.......uhhh, not so hard to match right?). I actuallity, is expecting JP to be as high as #20 outlandish? If so, that is a HUGE improvement in the Bills passing game from last year.

Let the games begin.

-RichNJoisy

www.cnjbbb.org

I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned more often: SOMETHING LIKE THIS HAS HAPPENED BEFORE.

1972: Bills go 4-9-1 behind Dennis Shaw, who had been rookie of the year a few years earlier.

1973: Lou Saban switches to PURE ROOKIE Joe Ferguson. With a decent defense and a stud runing back, Bills go 9-5.

Is Willis another OJ? I don't know if he needs to be. JP is better prepared than Ferguson was (he's not a rookie even if he hasn't played) and this defense is better than '73. I'm not saying we're a lock for the playoffs, but if your game plan is to run first and stonewall with your D and your excellent ST's you CAN be competitive.

"MrLocke" - Objectivity is almost impossible to find inside WNY let alone outside! Your points are well taken but you are wasting your time trying to convince anyone ESPECIALLY outside of Buffalo. JP will simply have to go out and do it.

The keys to JP's season is a lot like you say and also like "canbuffan34" is stating in his complaints about the rags thread, the coaching is going to play a MAJOR role in how well JP performs. Unlike a veteran who has established his own way of doing things, JP is much more able to listen, learn, and adjust. The game plan  - unlike almost every brand new QB in the league - will not be focused on him but on the rungame. Most newbie QB's are on weak teams and the new QB's play is the key role. That is hardly the case in Buffalo. JP is the caretaker of the offense. IF he performs well, his role will expand. Defenses will be set up to STOP THE RUNGAME not the passing game.

Look at the great Peyton Manning: The first few times the Bills played them, the defense was focused on stopping Manning. it worked....to a point. The key for Manning was the addition of James (obviously adding Harrison helped too!) JP comes into a similar situation as Roethlesberger except JP has a full year of practice under his belt PLUS he knew by late February that he would be the starter. Ben was thrown into the fire in Week 3. Ben was susccesful due to a great ST, defense, rungame AND a gameplan where he was not the key player.

If JP is well prepared and IF the coaching staff puts together a game plan geared to what JP CAN do right now, there is every reason to expect him to at least match Drew's performance (Drew was # 27 out of 32 teams.......uhhh, not so hard to match right?). I actuallity, is expecting JP to be as high as #20 outlandish? If so, that is a HUGE improvement in the Bills passing game from last year.

Let the games begin.

-RichNJoisy

www.cnjbbb.org

381393[/snapback]

Good post, RNJ. The thing that makes me confident that JP can step in and perform adequately is three fold:

1. He is not expected or needed to be the savior. He has a couple stars on the offense already, a stud running back to rely on, a smart veteran WR and a budding star speedster WR with hands, and he has a defense that will allow him to not have to pass all day and special teams that can get him out of trouble and set him up in good field position to start.

2. He has all the tools. His legs can get him out of trouble. He has the arm strength to throw deep, if only to keep the defense from creeping up. He is very used to and comfortable with rolling out and throwing on the run. He played his entire college career on a lousy team where everyone stormed him.

3. Most important. He has the coaching staff. Between Mike Mularkey being not only offensive minded but innovative, TC a former quarterback as OC, and Sam Wyche, one of the best QB coaches ever, he really couldn't be coming into a much better situation. I would be very worried if he had GW as his coach and Killdrive as his OC.

Sure there is concern about a rookie (well, almost) quarterback. On the plus side we should have a very good running game and very good wide receivers. On the minus side, no killer offensive line and no great tight end (oh Jason Witten where are you now?). On the whole a solid team and a mobile quarterback who will improve throughout the season. I suspect we will win between 6 and 9 games. Hope I'm being conservative though.

The coaching is a great point. I wasn't alive when Tom Clements was played in the CFL, but watching CFL games I hear plenty about him and its all positive. I also like his/ Mularkey's play calling, as I think the trick plays keep defenses on their heels. Also like people mentined about Wyche, with him having coached the likes of Montana and Esaison and he was won coach of the year. I could go on and on about the coachong staff McNally, Tyke Tolbert and Mularkey.

JP doesn't have to be great this year....you only has to be average and the Bills will be where they were last year.....anything better then average and we're GOLDEN!!

JP does not have to carry this team......