Deal Done! NHL is finally back!

agilen

In fact, it opens things up on the power play.  What you'll find in college is that a team on the power play will hang a guy around the other team's blue line.  The defense has to respect the hanger because there is no two line pass rule, so you really can't kill off a power play by holding the puck down in their corner.  It makes the attacking team get the puck in faster and get set up.  Power plays in the NCAA tend to be a lot more exciting than most NHL power plays.

380993[/snapback]

It also makes the line changes after icing the puck on a penalty kill pretty risky. That hanger will usually stay on the side opposite the benches. The fresh skaters have to move pretty quickly from the bench in order to break up the play (assuming the pass connects).

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So from what I understand, each team has their own maximim cap?  I don't know.  I think that each team should be allowed to spend up to the maximum cap (I would assume like that for the Rangers), but need to spend a minimum that is linked to their revenue.

381177[/snapback]

The max cap will be between 37-39 mil i think depending on the team, and i believe they are setting a 24 mil minimum as well..

Disagree. Get rid of 2-line passing prohibition and you will populate the NHL with 160 lb "you touched me! you touched me! types", and the wheeling of defensemen, the forwards lurking on the boards to get a crisp pass and then fire a quick pass to a center who skates through the defense will be no more.

Hockey is meant to be a hard-fought contest played among hard men who play hard for a single score, not a da-ding!-da-ding! video game.

They have already done enough rule changes that have put the league deeply into the can - make it an instant-jolly shoot-out and kiss it goodbye.

380888[/snapback]

they should also expand the area behind the net to increase playmaking - sort of like lacrosse and move the bluelines closer together to preserve the same area in front of the net.

Offense is what will bring in fans.

The max cap will be between 37-39 mil i tihnk depending on the team, and i believe they are setting a 24 mil minimum as well..

Yeah, the minimum seems set for all teams at $24M, but the max for a team like the Rangers will probably be to top ($39M) while the Sabres might be $35M or something. I'm just saying the Sabres should have the option to spend the same as the Rangers, but that their minimum should be $4M less than the Rangers, using the above example.

Disagree. Get rid of 2-line passing prohibition and you will populate the NHL with 160 lb "you touched me! you touched me! types", and the wheeling of defensemen, the forwards lurking on the boards to get a crisp pass and then fire a quick pass to a center who skates through the defense will be no more.

Hockey is meant to be a hard-fought contest played among hard men who play hard for a single score, not a da-ding!-da-ding! video game.

They have already done enough rule changes that have put the league deeply into the can - make it an instant-jolly shoot-out and kiss it goodbye.

380888[/snapback]

I think the goal in order to create the best game is a mix in the rules which do not make it something only for little swift guys or only something for the manly men you seem to like.

The best hockey I have seen involved really hard hitting and tough play but no fights really at all surrounding the Miracle on Ice in 1980. It certainly is not a good game to have it totally populated by the "he touched me types" but if I wanted a tough man competition rather than the sport of hockey I'd be into All-Star wrestling and cage matches.

The NFL for now is really biased toward a slow motion game based around the neutral zone trap. I'm all fpr changes that make the game more fluid with increased motion and offense. Its too bad it likely will come down to physically changing the game because if the refs would simply enforce the rules as written and there was a greater crackdown on penalties for felonies like Bertuzzi and even chippy runts who slow the game then this behavior would go away.

The NHL can and/or will not get the refs to enforce the rules so I'm for experiementing and implementing changing the lines to bring back hockey.

It also makes the line changes after icing the puck on a penalty kill pretty risky.  That hanger will usually stay on the side opposite the benches.  The fresh skaters have to move pretty quickly from the bench in order to break up the play (assuming the pass connects).

381171[/snapback]

just read that there's probably going to be a rule change against icing the puck on the kill. some of these new rules... wow.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/columns/story?id=2106971&num=0

Yeah, the minimum seems set for all teams at $24M, but the max for a team like the Rangers will probably be to top ($39M) while the Sabres might be $35M or something.  I'm just saying the Sabres should have the option to spend the same as the Rangers, but that their minimum should be $4M less than the Rangers, using the above example.

381191[/snapback]

No, it won't be different for each team. Its going to be 54% of league revenues, divided by 30 teams. The Rangers will not be allowed to spend more than the Sabres. The reason you hear the figure "$37-$39 million" is because we aren't sure yet whether benefits (medical, pension, etc) are included in the cap number or not.

It should be all made clear by next Thursday, when we should hear the press conference and the "re-launch" of the NHL.

No, it won't be different for each team.  Its going to be 54% of league revenues, divided by 30 teams.  The Rangers will not be allowed to spend more than the Sabres.  The reason you hear the figure "$37-$39 million" is because we aren't sure yet whether benefits (medical, pension, etc) are included in the cap number or not.

No I realized that the "$37-39M" numbers were because they didn't figure out the total benefits and revenues yet. I just kept reading "team-by-team salary cap" and figured they meant every team would get a different number, with the richest team(s) getting the highest.

It should be all made clear by next Thursday, when we should hear the press conference and the "re-launch" of the NHL.

Hopefully it's what you said, i.e. the same cap for every team.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2106776

hockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockey

hockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockey

hockeyhockeyhockeyhockey..........

Yeah, what he said. :D

Simon led off the 8:00 hour with a compilation of Jeanneret clips - "lalalalaLaFontaine", "MAYDAY!!", etc. (Heck, I'm not even a Sabres fan, and it got ME fired up.) Still can't get this silly grin off my face......

Yeah, what he said. ;)

Simon led off the 8:00 hour with a compilation of Jeanneret clips - "lalalalaLaFontaine", "MAYDAY!!", etc.  (Heck, I'm not even a Sabres fan, and it got ME fired up.) Still can't get this silly grin off my face......

381417[/snapback]

I liked the clip they played last, where Ray was going at it with Claude Lemieux and RJ's description was something along the lines of "Ray is throwing Lemieux around like a rag doll!"" :D

just read that there's probably going to be a rule change against icing the puck on the kill.  some of these new rules... wow.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/columns/story?id=2106971&num=0

381284[/snapback]

There's too many ways around that. They'll just ice the puck anyway. If a guy desperately needs to get off the ice, he'll fake an injury.

There's too many ways around that.  They'll just ice the puck anyway.  If a guy desperately needs to get off the ice, he'll fake an injury.

381568[/snapback]

that article states the nets will move 2 feet closer to the end boards. They mean further don't they?

Also, why was tag-up offsides ever eliminated?

that article states the nets will move 2 feet closer to the end boards.  They mean further don't they?

Also, why was tag-up offsides ever eliminated?

381595[/snapback]

Actually they're moving them back. A couple of years ago they moved them foward, giving teams more room to operate behind the net, ala Gretzky.

The change didn't result in the desired increase in offense, though, so they're moving them back to increase the room in front of the net.

The extra room behind the net resulted in more dump and chase play, causing more scrums along the boards than artful, Gretzky-style passing.

Actually they're moving them back.  A couple of years ago they moved them foward, giving teams more room to operate behind the net, ala Gretzky.

The change didn't result in the desired increase in offense, though, so they're moving them back to increase the room in front of the net.

The extra room behind the net resulted in more dump and chase play, causing more scrums along the boards than artful, Gretzky-style passing.

381606[/snapback]

Well, that doesn't make much sense. Don't you need more Gretzky like players in order to have Gretzky like passes? :D

Well, that doesn't make much sense.  Don't you need more Gretzky like players in order to have Gretzky like passes?  :D

381618[/snapback]

It adds scoring area. The game didn't used to spend so much time below the goal line. The extra 2 feet will give perimeter players an extra tick to make plays.

There is more skill in the NHL today than there was when Gretzky was dominating. ALOT more.

Well, that doesn't make much sense.  Don't you need more Gretzky like players in order to have Gretzky like passes?  :D

381618[/snapback]

Actually, it does. When teams chased Gretzky behind the net, he was, more often than not, able to hit the open man in the slot. Teams had to respect that and gave him more room to operate.

When today's average player goes behind the net, defenses don't treat him like Gretzky, they go after him, knowing he's more likely to cough up the puck than make a Gretzky-like pass. That causes more scrums and cycling behind the net.

The extra room also promoted more dump and chase, and gave goalies more room to skate behind the net to play the puck. Coaches might adopt a different offensive strategy if they can't fit two or three forecheckers behind the net. And goalies might stay in the crease if there's a better chance that they'll get caught up behind their own net.

I saw one interview with Gretzky where he described what made him different than other players and it obviously was not that he was a better physical specimen but that he saw so well and better than other players. These are my words not his but I think Gretzky was playing a different game than his opponents because he literally saw a diffierent game.

Some this may be due to measurable physical aspects like him having better peripheral vision so he can literraly see players that we do not expect him to be able to see. However, I think what made him special was that he combined this with a sense of the game so that he often made passes (with pinpoint accuracy) as though he had eyes in the back of his head to players there is now way he could see them when he made the pass.

The behind the net discussion reminded me of this conversation because once you combined his eyesight. with his sense of the game and with Ds respecting him so much that they had to give him room or risk embarrassment (I remember one game where he led the charge againt the Caps and the two defensemen kept backing up to be able to cover a man if he passed to the wings and they simply let him waltz into the slot where he beat the goaltender with an uncovered wrist shot from the slot.

If the game changes and players have good eyesight and are given more room to use it some surprising things may happen.