Bills on ESPN Classic at 11:30

ofiba

I'm trying to figure out, at the top of my head, what would make that game a 'classic'. It was the year after the 2000 yd season, Buffalo's record v. Miami in the '70's was pretty suck-ass, I'm guessing Miami must have pile-drived us right big, enough to warrant 'classic' status.

I'm trying to figure out, at the top of my head, what would make that game a 'classic'.  It was the year after the 2000 yd season, Buffalo's record v. Miami in the '70's was pretty suck-ass, I'm guessing Miami must have pile-drived us right big, enough to warrant 'classic' status.

380371[/snapback]

No, this was the year after 2000 yards. Ferguson entering his 2nd year.

Frankly, the tapes show the refs screwed the Bills again, crediting a TD to Warfield when he was down at the 1, and wiping out a 105-yard Tony Greene INT return, and a weak roughing-the-passer PF. Some things never change :angry:

I don't remember this Stanfill guy from Miami but he was abusing us, the same way Earl Edwards was to their guys. They were doubling and tripling Earl like he was Bruce Smith. O.J. didn't do jack in this game, but a QB controversy did start :lol:

Oh, and watch when Griese scrambles... he get planted into the turf like his kid does into the driveway :blink::doh:

No, this was the year after 2000 yards. Ferguson entering his 2nd year.

Frankly, the tapes show the refs screwed the Bills again, crediting a TD to Warfield when he was down at the 1, and wiping out a 105-yard Tony Greene INT return, and a weak roughing-the-passer PF. Some things never change  :)

I don't remember this Stanfill guy from Miami but he was abusing us, the same way Earl Edwards was to their guys. They were doubling and tripling Earl like he was Bruce Smith. O.J. didn't do jack in this game, but a QB controversy did start :doh:

Oh, and watch when Griese scrambles... he get planted into the turf like his kid does into the driveway  :lol:  :o

380376[/snapback]

Adding to the screw-job was a questionable interference call that wiped out an interception, allowing Miami to score the winning touchdown, a run by Don "human bowling ball" Nottingham. And, the call that cost Greene his 105 interception run TD was in reality a 14 point swing as Mami scored a TD on the next play after that call. Teams were tied for first in AFC East, so it earned it's "Classic" billing.

This was the game with the bogus call on Pat Toomay, right? Where he recovered a fumble deep in Miami territory but the refs ruled it not a fumble and then added a 15-yard penalty on Toomay for arguing the call? The 1970s version of "Just Give It To 'Em," as I recall.

Frankly, the tapes show the refs screwed the Bills again, crediting a TD to Warfield when he was down at the 1, and wiping out a 105-yard Tony Greene INT return, and a weak roughing-the-passer PF. Some things never change  :lol:

Not to mention a desparate need for a new left tackle. That #84 for Miami had about 7 sacks. :)

This was the game with the bogus call on Pat Toomay, right?  Where he recovered a fumble deep in Miami territory but the refs ruled it not a fumble and then added a 15-yard penalty on Toomay for arguing the call?  The 1970s version of "Just Give It To 'Em," as I recall.

380672[/snapback]

I thought so too, but now that I think about it, you're thinking of 1975 when the Bills were in a win-you're-in/lose-go-home playoff scenario. My memory is a little fuzzy here, but didn't Norm Bulach run to the Bills 1-yard-line on the very next play to set up the game-clinching touchdown?

This was the game with the bogus call on Pat Toomay, right?  Where he recovered a fumble deep in Miami territory but the refs ruled it not a fumble and then added a 15-yard penalty on Toomay for arguing the call?  The 1970s version of "Just Give It To 'Em," as I recall.

380672[/snapback]

I'm pretty sure that happened in Buffalo, not in Miami.

I'm pretty sure that happened in Buffalo, not in Miami.

381060[/snapback]

Actually, it happened in Miami, in 1975. The Bills fell behind 21-0 at the half, when Don Strock, making his first NFL start (!) completed something like 11 passes in a row. In the second half the Bills pulled to 24-21, and Mercury Morris fumbled in Dolphin territory. Bills recovered, the officials said Morris was down, then flagged Pat Toomay for bumping an official in the debate. Next play, Don Nottingham rumbles ca. 50 yards to the 1. Bulaich scores on the next play. Bills lose 31-21, fall to 7-5, and are out of the playoffs.

1975 was such a crucial year for the Bills. They started 4-0, were rolling over teams. Then they lost 17-14 to the Giants on MNF (I could go on about how they never should have lost that one, but will save it for later), and the wheels came off. The defense fell apart (at one point blowing a 28-7 lead at home to Baltimore, another time on MNF in Cincinnati allowing the Bengals to go the whole game without a punt), Lou Saban began the meltdown that would lead him to up and quit five games into the 1976 season, and OJ, playing in the last year of his original contract, decided at the end of the season that he did not want to play in Buffalo anymore. After that season, they gutted the team, signed OJ at the last minute to huge money, which alienated most of his teammates, then Fergy got hurt ca. game 6 of the 1976 season, Gary Marangi sucked a$$, and the Bills went 2-12. They did not have another winning season until 1980.

Ah, and there are people out there who want to back Tom Donahoe? Kids today.... :D

OJ, playing in the last year of his original contract, decided at the end of the season that he did not want to play in Buffalo anymore. After that season, they gutted the team, signed OJ at the last minute to huge money, which alienated most of his teammates,

Can you imagine the OJ contract debates on TSW? :D;)

Frankly, the tapes show the refs screwed the Bills again, crediting a TD to Warfield when he was down at the 1, and wiping out a 105-yard Tony Greene INT return, and a weak roughing-the-passer PF. Some things never change  ;)

380376[/snapback]

Just reading this makes me angry, and I wasn't even alive then :D