New Sabres.com website

Test

Oh my -- http://www.sabres.com/

If the goal was to make a bloated, utterly unusable web site -- mission accomplished!

Must have Flash to view...party like it's 1999? It's down right laughable in Firefox where I do not have Flash installed to avoid the annoying web ads. I switched to IE to check it out. I am speechless.

Here's hope there is some momentum to move to updated Blue/Gold unis forcing this into redesign so that I can expunge this from my memory forever. Ack!

I read the piece on Rick Dudley. Brought back memories...but that article had some of the worst grammar and typos I've seen in a while. I think a 10th grader could have done better.

Hey!  Randy Wood was pretty much unstoppable on NHL 94.

379897[/snapback]

Now theres a game...i still have it for my sega genesis. i remember you could use petr svoboda and absolutely destroy people wth bodychecks...

Now theres a game...i still have it for my sega genesis. i remember you could use petr svoboda and absolutely destroy people wth bodychecks...

379913[/snapback]

Every once in awhile I pull out the Genesis for an afternoon of NHL 95, Super Techmo, and Desert Strike...

Every once in awhile I pull out the Genesis for an afternoon of NHL 95, Super Techmo, and Desert Strike...

379914[/snapback]

Super Techmo was great...Rb #34 Bills was unstoppable...

Me and my friends used to have a ton of nhl 94 tournaments, and i have a little plastic stanley cup we'd play for. I was unbeatable with Vancouver with Cliff Ronning, Pavel Bure, and Trevon Linden on the front line, and Kirk McLean in net...

Super Techmo was great...Rb #34 Bills was unstoppable...

Me and my friends used to have a ton of nhl 94 tournaments, and i have a little plastic stanley cup we'd play for. I was unbeatable with Vancouver with Cliff Ronning, Pavel Bure, and Trevon Linden on the front line, and Kirk McLean in net...

379919[/snapback]

My unit wasted countless hours of readiness having such tournaments. Much beer was consumed. Good times.

Oh, and this thread is officially hijacked! :wacko:

That is a horrible site. I hope they got some college kid to do it for free.

Oh my -- http://www.sabres.com/

If the goal was to make a bloated, utterly unusable web site -- mission accomplished!

Must have Flash to view...party like it's 1999? It's down right laughable in Firefox where I do not have Flash installed to avoid the annoying web ads. I switched to IE to check it out. I am speechless.

Here's hope there is some momentum to move to updated Blue/Gold unis forcing this into redesign so that I can expunge this from my memory forever. Ack!

379619[/snapback]

My unit wasted countless hours of readiness having such tournaments.  Much beer was consumed.  Good times.

Oh, and this thread is officially hijacked!  :wacko:

379922[/snapback]

did you have that 1 friend who always got the living sh-- kicked out of him? We did, and he was always the maple laffs...to this day, the computer can kick his ass at all sorts of video games...just not his strong suit...

All NHL team websites are now run by the NHL. (Much like all the MLB team sites) At the top of the new Sabres website it now says "Welcome to the NHL Network powered by NHL.com". Bottom line is it saves money. They are all pretty much the same generic crap now. What a great way to start getting the fans back.

Before condemning the web designer of sabres.com, consider the fact that there is some marketing/public relations genius who is probably calling the shots behind the look and feel of the website.

380034[/snapback]

No one is piling on the designers, the person calling the shots is exactly who is ultimately responsible. I am not sure who pulled the trigger here, but it might just have been Sabretooth...

Seriously -- I am not sure it was the intention but the site has more appeal to kids 12 and under than someone who will actually buy tickets. It's more gimmicky than functional. A better strategy would have been to design for the average fan. The use of Flash is overkill. Check that, it's utterly unnecessary. I couldn't imagine how long that site will load over dial-up -- I would want to know how many Sabres fans use broadband, something the marketing folks should have found out. My guess is that the number wouldn't justify designing for it almost exclusively. Hey, this is a blue collar town after all :wacko:

Then there is the issue with the small fixed-size of the site. I have a 17" monitor -- I have more screen size dedicated to the background image than the content. It's annoying as hell.

I am also very sorry for the site's content creators as well -- Flash means that Google and other search engines can't index their site content for search. That means all that great content will stay buried on the site. Oh, I know, let's build a site with content no one can find!

Disguntled fan and web enthusiast. :P