New Sabres.com website

Test

No one is piling on the designers, the person calling the shots is exactly who is ultimately responsible. I am not sure who pulled the trigger here, but it might just have been Sabretooth...

Seriously -- I am not sure it was the intention but the site has more appeal to kids 12 and under than someone who will actually buy tickets. It's more gimmicky than functional. A better strategy would have been to design for the average fan. The use of Flash is overkill. Check that, it's utterly unnecessary. I couldn't imagine how long that site will load over dial-up -- I would want to know how many Sabres fans use broadband, something the marketing folks should have found out. My guess is that the number wouldn't justify designing for it almost exclusively. Hey, this is a blue collar town after all :wacko:

Then there is the issue with the small fixed-size of the site. I have a 17" monitor -- I have more screen size dedicated to the background image than the content. It's annoying as hell.

I am also very sorry for the site's content creators as well -- Flash means that Google and other search engines can't index their site content for search. That means all that great content will stay buried on the site. Oh, I know, let's build a site with content no one can find!

Disguntled fan and web enthusiast. :P

380083[/snapback]

I use DUN, but I'm a bit confused here. I have an up-to-date Macromedia flash plug-in, in Firefox, but I refuse QuickTime because I'm not about to give personal info to Apple.

I agree about reaching the market - GM's various division sites want no cookies, etc, and even under DUN are rapid enough. Ford and several foreign auto outfits are a hang-up disaster unless you want to drop your guard and bare all to them.

I have and will make purchasing deciisions in good part because of a company's unfettered Inet access or lack thereof.

I will try to be patient as the site is under construction. But the battle is uphill from here. It looks like they are trying to load the site with content but I have doubts that will be able to accomplish efficiency.

One thing that I did notice is that they don't have continuity with the e-mail addresses that used to be available in the Fan Zone. I wonder if they will continue offering e-mail accounts.

I am noticing a lot of pictures with the blue and gold. Foreshadowing???

Update on the e-mail accounts...

The link to the e-mail account sign in:

http://web.synacor.com/login/sabreshockey.com

Hey Mr. Clutch, get in there and tell them how to fix it. $$$ ??? :)

Seven people and over a 1000+ hours it took to build that site. Are you kidding me?

The web development firm I run could come up with something 10x better in about 10 hours.

I'm pissed they never called me seeing they offered me the webmaster job 5x in the past (pre-Golisano days).

I spoke to one of their media guys today after I sent him an email telling him how poor I thought the site was. He called right away and said it's still a work in progess and wanted my oppinion. I told him it looked nothing like a sports website should but the overall thought-process I got from him was that the design wouldn't be changing too much.