Tipping

Ok, I'll bring up a tipping topic.  If a place charges a delivery fee, should that be reflected in the amoount of tip you give?

For example, if I order two pizzas for delivery ($20), and the place charges a $1 delivery fee, how much extra should I tip?

I usually tip $1-$2/pizza, but I do usually subtract the delivery fee from my tip.  Am I being stingy?  What do others do?

CW

371462[/snapback]

As someone who used to deliver (for one place that charged a delivery fee outside a certain radius and another that didn't charge no matter how far the drive was) I can tell you that I didn't see the delivery fees. Those went to the restaurant on the theory that if I was delivering a pizza out in butt!@#$, I wasn't delivering as many pizzas as I could if the stops were close by, and therefore the place was losing money (and trying to recoup some of it with the delivery charge). Maybe other places do it differently and give the fees to the drivers.

[The place that neither charged a fee nor limited its delivery radius, those guys were bastards. It was basically a front for some wiseguy Carlo Rossi-type wannabes, who shall remain nameless but one of them owns Penfield Hots now. His wife is the sister of Georgia Durante, who was a runner for Sammy "What Happened To My Legs? They Were Here Just A Second Ago" Gingello and his gang back in the old days... just some trivia for those of you from Rochester.]

Another observation: the richer the customer, the smaller the tip. Almost without fail, I'd get stiffed on deliveries to Pittsford and get a five-dollar tip from somebody in the Country Club Circle in East Rochester or the Pines of Perinton.

As a result, these days when I order pizza I always tip well. And I don't subtract the delivery charge.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure this doesn't apply to you, but I've run across skycap's who get pretty pissed when you say you'll take your own bags. I can't see the point in having someone take my bags when I'm a able bodied male. I would assume they get pissed because that's one less possible tip but seriously, they provide a service I don't need or care for.

I was raised to do it yourself if you can. I don't even like eating out because I don't like being waited on, it has nothing to do with the tipping. Even with the curbside, I generally go in and get my food, burns some calories before I stuff my face. The only time I had them bring it to me I had my nephew in the car and obviously couldn't leave him.

Before I get lambasted again about these people who live off low wages, I know. I worked as a waiter in college. Some people were cheap, some very generous and others I could tell that the meal was a special treat for them, one that is out of their everyday means. I never expected a tip but was always pleased when I received one. If I didn't want to try and live off tips I would have gone and worked at Wegmans or in a student job at the college. I knew what kind of service I could provide though and I knew it would get me more.

I agree tipping is good practice, but some people forget it's not required. It's personal opinion whether you feel the person deserves a tip or not. In general , some are more generous then others, but don't judge those who tip 5% less then you may, you don't know their own means. Being judgemental is worse then stiffing a tip.

370535[/snapback]

Actually I'm judging the one's who KNOW that we accept tips because our company expects us to be compensated in such manner, and so instead of taking upon themselves to take there own bags out of the car and to check themselves in inside, they find it much easier and quicker to come to a skycap. Well easy and quick are not free! That's just the way it is. If a person is upfront and tells me they don't have a dime to spare, I make sure to check them in and take care of the bags just the same. My point is if you or anyone else doesn't find a need for skycap service, that's acceptable as we see companies and services that eventually are eliminated due to customers not needing them. But when you want my service for free, because neither the company nor the customer feels like they should pay, then that is wrong. Again I know that I chose to become a skycap so that's why I rarely bring it up. But the topic is interesting!

The skycap's post sums this all up pretty honestly.

I read this... and the first thing that comes into my mind is: This is the best job you can find? You're making enough money to live? Do you report your tips to the government?

Followed by, at least, some true understanding of his job and the role it plays at the company for which he works: Thanks for being honest about it.

370611[/snapback]

Well LA I really didn't have enough money to finish my chemistry degree at the university of colorado, and since I was just 17 when I graduated form hutch-tech but living on the east side of buffalo I didn't have the financial backing from my single parent mom, nor did we really get into scholarship or grant info. I was just happy to be accepted to a university. Even when I got to boulder, colorado it wasn't exactly a comfortable environment. LOL. The reason I said all this is becuase I could see some using all this as an excuse to say they got a raw deal and skycapping is the best job they could get, and they still don't make enough money. People don't tip enough ect. ect. The truth is skycapping is a pretty good job compared to what's out there and even though I have to report tips (all of them of course :P ) I make enough to get by and if I wanted to I could make a way to do better somewhere else if needed. Livin in buffalo of course makes you tough like that! So it's all good man!

I use to deliver pizzas I depended on tips, heres why you drive your own car pay for gas, insurance,so please remember tip good the driver will remember and your food will get there quick.

minium 3 to 4 dollars

I usually take 10% of the total bill and double it whether its a fancy restaurant or the pizza dude. I don't like math.

Is it better to leave a cash tip when you pay by credit card or doesn't it matter? If I do that I think someone is going to see 0 on the tip line of the credit card slip and think I'm a cheap bastard.

Life is too short to stress over who I'm going to give my cash to.

RTB

Is it better to leave a cash tip when you pay by credit card or doesn't it matter? If I do that I think someone is going to see 0 on the tip line of the credit card slip and think I'm a cheap bastard.

RTB

371964[/snapback]

The only difference I can see is tipping by credit card automatically makes people claim those tips to the government. If you tip cash it is up to that person to claim them.

The only difference I can see is tipping by credit card automatically makes people claim those tips to the government.  If you tip cash it is up to that person to claim them.

371967[/snapback]

And if you are not adding a tip to a credit slip, be sure to cross out that space - unscrupulous folks have been known to add themselves a generous "extra" tip.

Good topic. Growing up, I worked as a waiter/bartender/cook my whole life. It paid for school. Thus, I can comment on this.

I always tip waiter/waitresses/bartenders 20-25%. Its generally very appreciated, but then again, having been in the business, ex-restaurant folks are known as the best tippers.

I find that if you go back to a place often, and tip well, the service is so much better. At a bar, your drink order is taken with no wait, you get a few free rounds a nite and in, restaurants, the waiter will make sure your food sdoesn't sit under a heat lamp, or you get the best cuts of prime rib or steak.

As for declaring tips, its easy. Declare 10% of your total food & beverage sales for the nite. The micros machine (oor whatever system your place uses) will tell you that number at the end of the nite. For example, if you sell 700 bucks worth of food and drink, make sure your tips declared reads about 70 bucks. All credit card tips must be declared. If your credit card tips are 9-11% of total sales, you're fine, declare no cash tips. If not, make up the difference.

With respect to curbside, I've never tried that. I don't think we have that in NY. I'm sure I'd tip, however. I tip cabbies, hotel maids, the barber etc. I just find that it puts a smile on someone's face, and your much more apt to get better service.

The only tipping that annoys me, is the guy who hands out towels in the mens room of bars. Now, I'll generally tip him a buck the first couple times using the restroom if I'm in a bar for the whole nite. But after that, c'mon. Its like I'm paying to take a piss, which happens often when you are drinking Labatts all day for a Bills game at McFaddens, and I feel bad if I don't tip.

Seriously?  I usually tip a buck and the change...Maybe 2 and change on occasion.  Usually I just order one pizza and maybe a coke.  It never seemed to me like I was undertipping...am I?

371699[/snapback]

Tip a couple bucks more next time and see how much faster you get your pizza the time after that.

I have never heard the words "classless" and "good tipper" used in the same sentence...

370415[/snapback]

Okay, how about: "SDS is classless, and Kelly the Fair and Balanced Dog is a good tipper."

Happy now?

There are a lot of good reasons to tip people and tip heavy. One of the best ones is, it makes people happier, you (unless you're a creep) and them. Curbside should definitely be tipped. A couple of bucks is good.