What If......?

Now before you start pouring gasoline on me and lighting a match, hear me out. I am a J.P. Losman fan. I'm even wearing a Losman away jersey as we speak (that I bought last year at training camp before he was named starter and everyone and their mother bought one. But that's another story for another time).

But I started looking over the drafts from this year and last year and it got me thinking. What if we had never made the trade for J.P.? What would this year's draft look like? Who could we have picked with last year's 2nd?

Well first of all, J.P. Losman would be a member of the Green Bay Packers. We would have kept the 52nd pick in the draft. At that spot we could have picked Michael Boulware at Safety, Nate Kaeding could have been our Kicker this year, or if we were really hell-bent on drafting a QB of the future in '04; we could have snagged Matt Schaub in Round 2 or 3. But i'd have gone a different route......

We would have kept pick #20 in 2005. With that we could have drafted Matt Jones or Mark Clayton. I bet we'd have picked Jones, but I think Clayton would have been a better pick. From there, we could have EASILY done the same trade we did on 2004 for Losman in 2005. We may have even gotten away with trading less than we did last year, this year. With Losman a Packer, Aaron Rodgers falls even farther than #24. We package 2006's 1st with 2005's 2nd and Aaron Rodgers is our QB of the future. Of course then we're stuck with Bledsoe. A horrible tragedy; or is it?......

With Bledsoe back on board, we'd have the opportunity to pick up exactly where we left off the year before. But this time, if he began to faulter; we'd have Kelly Holcomb or Aaron Rodgers to take over. So the question is, which would you prefer?:

What we have:

J.P. Losman

Roscoe Parrish

(Nothing in 2004 Rd. 2)

(2006 1st Rounder)

What we could have had:

Aaron Rodgers

Matt Jones/Mark Clayton

Michael Boulware/Nate Kaeding/Matt Schaub

(No 2006 First Rounder)

I like what we have and am a J.P. Losman fan. But honestly, it's tough to say that I definitely wouldn't have gone without the Losman trade.

95% of sports talk is mental masturbation anyway. We love sports --and we're on TSW far too often-- because we like talking about the "might have beens", the "couldas", and "shouldas".

I like your scenario. I for one would pick Clayton over Jones, which would give us Moulds, Evans, Jones for Rodgers to throw to. Not bad.

Are you saying you like Charlie Frye in Round 2 over Aaron Rodgers in Round 1?

Interesting suggestion. I disagree however. I'd much rather have Losman/Parrish or Rodgers/Clayton then Frye/Clayton.

364303[/snapback]

Can't say. Frye had a good college career, and his conference has hatched a few notable recently...Leftwich and Pennington.

IIRC according to the pre-draft scout reports, he has decent natural ability, and smarts. I can't say why, but when I read the plethora of reports, I started to picture a Bernie Kosar with a better vertical game.

Who knows?

Tough to call, because we'd have no idea how the picks from the 2004 draft would have played @ the time. We also don't know how the changes would affect the outcome of the games, or how the change in the draft picks would affect the teams drafting behind them. It's entertaining, but we can't say w/ any degree of certainty what would happen in these instances.

I'd rather have Losman with a season of preparation and a full off-season of knowing that he will be THE man under his belt -- than a less talented Rodgers, who will be a true rookie heading into this season. To me, giving up a 2nd rounder last year to make that happen this year was a small price to pay. Note also, that if we hadn't taken JP last year, then we'd still have Bledsoe THIS year.

There are sooooo many variables to the equation you list that you cant really even talk about it.....

- What if Aaron Rodgers gets hit by lightening and wasn't in this draft.....it was supposed to be a weak draft for QB's (and may still be)

- What if Kelly decided he DIDN"T want to come to Buffalo?

nope....too many variables. I am just thankful that we appear to have depth at the QB position

I love the speed we have now, I wouldnt change a thing.

Losman is mobile and Parrish is going to be a great 3rd reciever. I think Clayton is going to be a great WR and I dont know the extent of his injury but didnt Jones get hurt? or injury prone?

Either way I am happy with Moulds, Evans, Parrish, Losman, McGahee. :blink:

No gas. I just find that speculating on "what could have happened" scenerios is a waste of my time and energy. 

All draft choices are a crap shoot and it takes 3 years in most cases to find that out.

364261[/snapback]

A waste of time as opposed to what? Reading and responding to "what could have happened" scenarios? As for the crap shoot analogy, it's time to put that cliche to bed. If the draft were so unpredictable, the Pro Bowl rosters wouldn't be made up of mostly former first and second round draft choices. GM's sell that nonsense to the public because it makes them look good when they draft successfully and like a victim of bad luck when they whiff. Draft picks are calculated risks.

I like Losman's attitude more than anything. Aaron Rogers looks like yet another talented yet meek cookie-cutter QB. Losman's an original, I'm glad he's a Buffalo Bill.

365094[/snapback]

Aaron looks like another Tim Couch.

Personally I'd take

Michael Boulware/Nate Kaeding/Matt Schaub

it would solve our safety depth, kicker problem and well it's still an unknown at qb but but two other big problems would be solved.

Our defensive depth is relativly unknown. We don't know if any of these guys could step in start if need be with the exception of ryan denney at de.

Nothing against losman but I believe in building a team not around a player but surrounding that team with talent and depth. Losman could be great and change my mind, but right now I'd like some offensive linemen and some defensive depth and a kicker and I'd be a really happy camper.