Drunken man tries to ride lawn mower

yahoo.com

Drunken man tries to ride lawn mower to grocery store

Late-night cravings are nothing unusual, but Joseph Mundy's munchies landed him in trouble.

The Ohio man was arrested and charged with DUI after attempting to ride his lawn mower to the grocery store.

According to Delhi Township Police Lieutenant Richard Ideker, Mundy, 23, and a friend had allegedly been drinking. At about 3 a.m., they decided that they were hungry and planned a trip to a local grocery store.

Mundy, who had a suspended license, drove the lawn mower without headlights and almost collided with a police vehicle patrolling the area.

The officer conducted a field sobriety test, which both men failed, Ideker said. Mundy reportedly told the officer that he was heading for the store because he had the munchies.

Mundy was taken to the police station, where his blood-alcohol level was recorded at .189. The legal limit in Ohio is .08.

The suspect was charged with driving under suspension and operating a vehicle under the influence of alcohol. He was cited and released,

while his lawn mower was impounded. His friend

was not charged.

Man, that reminds me way too much of a Rodney Carrington bit.

"I'm glad you stopped me, I coulda kilt somebody."

"Step out of the car, sir." 

"Nuh, uh.  You get in."

362775[/snapback]

It reminds me of a story about country music legend George Jones. The possum had a pretty horrendous drinking and drug problem through most of the 60's and 70's. At one point, while married to Tammy Wynette, he was trying to sober himself up. He gave her the keys to all of his cars, and told her to hide them, so he wouldn't be able to drive for alchohol. As Wynette tells it, he was doing great for a while. Then, one night she woke up, and GJ was nowhere to be found. Turned out, he was picked up, driving his John Deere to the liquor store....as one of his drinking songs bragged, "I can stand on my own two knees...."

Turned out, he was picked up, driving his John Deere to the liquor store....as one of his drinking songs bragged, "I can stand on my own two knees...."

362786[/snapback]

John Hiatt was a helluva drunk, and had a few boozed-off songs of his own. In "Paper Thin," he starts the song with "I was gonna get off of that bar stool, just as soon as I could figure it out."

I was gonna get up off that bar stool

Just as soon as I could figure it out

Why I was overlooked at the car pool

Stood up at the dance with no twist and shout

When you're burnin' with your last desire

And every memory haunts you

You write it down in alcohol fire

'Cause that's the only flame that wants you

Good stuff. Thank god for drunks or all we'd listen to is pop music.

Man, that reminds me way too much of a Rodney Carrington bit.

"I'm glad you stopped me, I coulda kilt somebody."

"Step out of the car, sir." 

"Nuh, uh.  You get in."

362775[/snapback]

In my case, it reminds me of an old Steve Martin skit he did on a TV special back in the late 70's or early 80's.

It dealt with drunk Steam Roller driving. If you ever saw the first Austin Powers movie, you'll get the jist since it borrowed from this skit.

yahoo.com

Late-night cravings are nothing unusual, but Joseph Mundy's munchies landed him in trouble.

The Ohio man was arrested and charged with DUI after attempting to ride his lawn mower to the grocery store.

According to Delhi Township Police Lieutenant Richard Ideker, Mundy, 23, and a friend had allegedly been drinking. At about 3 a.m., they decided that they were hungry and planned a trip to a local grocery store.

Mundy, who had a suspended license, drove the lawn mower without headlights and almost collided with a police vehicle patrolling the area.

The officer conducted a field sobriety test, which both men failed, Ideker said. Mundy reportedly told the officer that he was heading for the store because he had the munchies.

Mundy was taken to the police station, where his blood-alcohol level was recorded at .189. The legal limit in Ohio is .08.

The suspect was charged with driving under suspension and operating a vehicle under the influence of alcohol. He was cited and released,

was not charged.

362773[/snapback]

Driving lawnmowers home from the bar used to be relatively commonplace in small western NY towns. In part because of lost licenses, but also because many raging alcoholics can't hold a job that doesn't involve cutting grass.

The 1999 movie, "The Straight Story", was pretty good. It was about a poor old man who drove his creaky mower a fair distance in the Midwest to reconcile with a family member before he passed on.

The actor playing the lead (Richard Farnsworth) sadly committed suicide, being of an age and afflicted with a very painful malady.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0166896/

yahoo.com

was not charged.

362773[/snapback]

What the story fails to mention is that it was a push-mower...

:devil:

The 1999 movie, "The Straight Story", was pretty good.  It was about a poor old man who drove his creaky mower a fair distance in the Midwest to reconcile with a family member before he passed on.

The actor playing the lead (Richard Farnsworth) sadly committed suicide, being of an age and afflicted with a very painful malady.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0166896/

364021[/snapback]

Based on a true story and proof that Lynch can do good movies without time warps, midgets, bizarre fetishes and/or Kyle MacLachlan.

Driving lawnmowers home from the bar used to be relatively commonplace in small western NY towns.  In part because of lost licenses, but also because many raging alcoholics can't hold a job that doesn't involve cutting grass.

363738[/snapback]

Now-a-days the equivalent is ATV's. :doh:

One of my early gigs with my band, we played one of the local hick bars in the middle of winter. Overheard:

Drunk #1:"Hey, I haven't seen you here in a long time."

Drunk #2:"Yeah, I lost my license for driving drunk so now the only time I can go out drinking is when I can ride my snow mobile..." :devil: