This Electric Movement to Save the Planet Costing us All in Many Other Ways !!

I'm not sure if any one else has noticed but this entire move to Electric cars to save the planet has been such a great thing for all of us as consumers . Not only are all those cars price higher than hawks feet, it's made just about every other battery operated appliance or tool go up to ridiculous prices also ! 

I went to Lowes the other day to look at a battery operated jig saw & you can no longer get the saw with the battery or most any other tool for that matter with the battery included , the saw alone is now $219.00 for just the saw which use to be about $149.00 about 3 years or so ago (thanks Joe) with the battery and then you need to purchase the battery  separately for another couple of hundred depending on which ones you buy . 

So now the same tool we all use to buy for a total of $225.00 or so cost us all near $400.00 I love it ! Then there is the car battery thing that has almost doubled too . 

My wife's battery went bad in her car the other day so she had to go to the auto parts store to get a new one, the last time she had to replace a battery which was with in this administration being elected the battery was $120.00 or so she went and got one just yesterday & it was $240.00 !! I had to get a motorcycle battery this year & it was almost $200.00 .

Joes economy mixed with this electric car battery thing to save the planet is all going to put us in such a great financial position it's awesome . I just hope my old battery's don't run out any time soon .

Wow i'm so glad that all this save the planet battery talk has taken a hold it's just the greatest thing of our time, i just wonder how many politicians are invested in battery company's or any of the other company's that have to provide materials for them around the world you can bet they are & they are probably making bank ...

Maybe we all need to look into investing in battery companies maybe we can get some of our money back from the doubling of the prices .

• Like (+1) 1

Looks like someone doesn't buy the existential climate crisis and the action we have to take now!  We only have 10, 8, 6? more years until irreversible deth.  Maybe comradekay can drop in and straighten you out with one of her diatribes.  

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BillsFanNC said:

This actually correct, but it's not Biden's fault. It is up to the individual states and municipalities to establish a proper network of electrical infrastructure through permit reform. Texas, for all its faults, has been absolutely stellar at this. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, ScotSHO said:

Looks like someone doesn't buy the existential climate crisis and the action we have to take now!  We only have 10, 8, 6? more years until irreversible deth.  Maybe comradekay can drop in and straighten you out with one of her diatribes.  

It wouldn't bother me if they included ALL that is causing this "Global warming effect" but they put the emphasis on ONLY automobiles or fossil fuels (which they need to produce electricity) along with the car industry .

Then yall forget what happens when all these car batteries are sitting in a land fill leaking into the earth just causes another crisis for future generations .

Just make a solution with little or no common sense involved for what problems the solution might cause and implement it . Kind of like big pharma make a pill to cure 1 thing & cause 3 others to make a pill for all the while sending corporate profits through the roof .

But i'm the one that's off base sounds good to me !!

• Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, T master said:

It wouldn't bother me if they included ALL that is causing this "Global warming effect" but they put the emphasis on ONLY automobiles or fossil fuels (which they need to produce electricity) along with the car industry .

Then yall forget what happens when all these car batteries are sitting in a land fill leaking into the earth just causes another crisis for future generations .

Just make a solution with little or no common sense involved for what problems the solution might cause and implement it . Kind of like big pharma make a pill to cure 1 thing & cause 3 others to make a pill for all the while sending corporate profits through the roof .

But i'm the one that's off base sounds good to me !!

It's a start, but the best solution is creating dense, vibrant, urban communities that are both walkable and offer a wide range of public transit options to remove car dependency. 'Tis my career. 

Edited by Roundybout
  • Disagree 1

They built a Tesla  produced EV charging station  in the parking lot of a Tops Market near the West Seneca-Cheektowaga town line last fall. I have never seen a car charging up there.  In fact I have NEVER seen  a Tesla  anywhere in WNY. The only one I have ever see in person was one on the Interstate i nthe SF Bay area when I visited there in 2022. The only vehicle I have see at the  charging station in West Seneca  was a West Seneca cop car using it to hide behind  to catch speeders.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

9 hours ago, Roundybout said:

It's a start, but the best solution is creating dense, vibrant, urban communities that are both walkable and offer a wide range of public transit options to remove car dependency. 'Tis my career. 

What about those like me that hate living in the city . I'm a country boy yall can have all that stuff . I'm one that if need be i'll kill what i need to eat while yall wait for the truck to deliver it .

• Like (+1) 2

The funny part is what are they using to make the electricity to charge all those batteries? There is so much wrong with electric cars it too numerous to count! Tires wear out faster because of the weight of the batteries. Goodyear tires for my f150 are $285 each right now. Do they think I want to buy tires more often? Don’t even get me going on the Dodge challenger going electric! What do the call it? It’s not 800 horse power anymore. Does the engine even make a sound? I will be the last person on earth to own an electric car. I’d rather have a Covid shot in my eyeballs every day than buy an electric car. And them damn solar panels people are getting suckered into buying! 

but I don’t think you can totally shove your head up your ass about global warming either. The problem is humans don’t have the answer they are still too *****en stupid!

• Eyeroll 1

9 hours ago, Wacka said:

They built a Tesla  produced EV charging station  in the parking lot of a Tops Market near the West Seneca-Cheektowaga town line last fall. I have never seen a car charging up there.  In fact I have NEVER seen  a Tesla  anywhere in WNY. The only one I have ever see in person was one on the Interstate i nthe SF Bay area when I visited there in 2022. The only vehicle I have see at the  charging station in West Seneca  was a West Seneca cop car using it to hide behind  to catch speeders.

I had to wait to charge my Tesla in Rochester at Eastview Mall during the eclipse.  Never had to do that before.

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Doc said:

I had to wait to charge my Tesla in Rochester at Eastview Mall during the eclipse.  Never had to do that before.

Could you see the eclipse in your area or was it cloudy their?

6 minutes ago, 4th&long said:

Could you see the eclipse in your area or was it cloudy their?

It was cloudy unfortunately.  Good thing I didn't spend money on lodging (my mom still lives there).

• Like (+1) 2

21 hours ago, Roundybout said:

This actually correct, but it's not Biden's fault. It is up to the individual states and municipalities to establish a proper network of electrical infrastructure through permit reform. Texas, for all its faults, has been absolutely stellar at this. 

It sounds precisely as if it’s Biden’s (or more accurately, the Biden Administration) fault.  It’s also a prime example as to  why reasonable people who don’t want to see their children/grandchildren/great grandchildren to live in a barren, post-apocalyptic world might think “Gee, that’s strange.  $7.5 billion of taxpayer money went somewhere, paid for something, and they had no idea the infrastructure was non-existent? 

21 hours ago, Roundybout said:

Interesting—what’s the standard?  We seem to have a multitude of options for vibrant/walkable cities with public transport that seem incapable of maintaining infrastructure despite enormous resources devoted to the problem.  

Then, too, there is this trend:

https://www.pewresearch.org/social-trends/2018/05/22/demographic-and-economic-trends-in-urban-suburban-and-rural-communities/

When you speak about removing car dependency, how do you foresee motivating suburban/rural citizens to abandon their vehicle(s) and move to the city? 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

It sounds precisely as if it’s Biden’s (or more accurately, the Biden Administration) fault.  It’s also a prime example as to  why reasonable people who don’t want to see their children/grandchildren/great grandchildren to live in a barren, post-apocalyptic world might think “Gee, that’s strange.  $7.5 billion of taxpayer money went somewhere, paid for something, and they had no idea the infrastructure was non-existent? 

I think the plan, if there is indeed a plan, lacks what is customarily called "oversight". Sure they spent $7.5 billion so who can tell us what amount of money each State received and what they did with it? The folks handing out the cash at the Federal level have accountability for monitoring and measuring the implementation of the State efforts. And although the program is executed at the State level it doesn't give the Federal government an excuse to throw up their hands and say its out of our control. Its not.  

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

I think the plan, if there is indeed a plan, lacks what is customarily called "oversight". Sure they spent $7.5 billion so who can tell us what amount of money each State received and what they did with it? The folks handing out the cash at the Federal level have accountability for monitoring and measuring the implementation of the State efforts. And although the program is executed at the State level it doesn't give the Federal government an excuse to throw up their hands and say its out of our control. Its not.  

I was thinking of the movie National Lampoon’s Vacation, when the Griswold family sets off on an epic journey to visit an amusement park on the other side of the country.   Of course, hilarity ensues when poor decisions are made or plans go awry en route, and when they arrive it turns out the park is closed. 

The only question I can see that needs to be answered is whether or not the end result was due to incompetence or corruption.  As is well documented, there is an awful

lot of money and power in anything that involves stopping the end of the world.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

I was thinking of the movie National Lampoon’s Vacation, when the Griswold family sets off on an epic journey to visit an amusement park on the other side of the country.   Of course, hilarity ensues when poor decisions are made or plans go awry en route, and when they arrive it turns out the park is closed. 

The only question I can see that needs to be answered is whether or not the end result was due to incompetence or corruption.  As is well documented, there is an awful

lot of money and power in anything that involves stopping the end of the world.  

Would you consider corruption to be States diverting funds for other uses with a nod and a wink from the Feds? This could be another of those situations where an investigation by DA Bragg would be prudent into the potential of "falsifying business records".

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, 4th&long said:

The funny part is what are they using to make the electricity to charge all those batteries? There is so much wrong with electric cars it too numerous to count! Tires wear out faster because of the weight of the batteries. Goodyear tires for my f150 are $285 each right now. Do they think I want to buy tires more often? Don’t even get me going on the Dodge challenger going electric! What do the call it? It’s not 800 horse power anymore. Does the engine even make a sound? I will be the last person on earth to own an electric car. I’d rather have a Covid shot in my eyeballs every day than buy an electric car. And them damn solar panels people are getting suckered into buying! 

but I don’t think you can totally shove your head up your ass about global warming either. The problem is humans don’t have the answer they are still too *****en stupid!

Well look at this.  @Doc out there saving the planet in his Tesla, 4th polluting at a rapid rate in his carbon dragon F150.

Oh, the places you go and things you’ll see on PPP! 

• Haha (+1) 2

11 hours ago, 4th&long said:

To add to what you have said i know a motor head & he has told me that one of the biggest pollutants on  car is the wear of the tires & like you siad with the cars being heavier they wear out faster so that means more pollution .

Like you i think it's not a bad thing to think about the "Climate change/global warming" thing to try to clean up what man kind has screwed up isn't a bad idea but use some common sense for gods sake . 

Then like those people & a few here always do don't just include what it is that your agenda needs to make it viable include everything that is making this situation be what it is, the bad thing with that is it would cut into their profits and wouldn't put their goal at the top of their personal agenda to make their lives better with more money in their pockets .

• Like (+1) 2

Everyone talking about EV's.  But the AI data centers are already using as much energy (electricity and cool water) as a small city and are going to grow 100x in the next few.  (They also create a lot of heat pollution) and that's on top of the EV everywhere and Eclectic heat only.  

We better start building nuke plants and soon.

And eff your 15 minute city BS where surfs rent and share everything. then the rich own it and profit from it.

• Like (+1) 1