WR trade candidates, who do you want?

On 5/20/2024 at 9:18 AM, Warriorspikes51 said:

10 Million in cap space June 1st.   Fitting Metcalf or Aiyuk's cap hits is absolutely within reason  IF the Bills want to do so.   It may only require a restructure of Oliver or Milano 

Both players can be extended after acquiring as well

The Bills will not functionally have 10 million when Tre’s money hits. Their cap space on June 1st will be 12.7 million but the Bills will need to officially sign the rookies which will intake 1-2 million, they will need to reserve 4 million for the practice squad and 3 million for in season emergencies and overruns. 

So in reality that’s going to leave the Bills with about 3.7 to 5 million in actual space. Of course the Bills could convert the rest of Josh’s salary to create another 6 million in space which will get the Bills back up to 10-12 million in space.

There is the chance they can also restructure Ed Oliver’s contract but I doubt they are going to touch Milano’s deal as Milano is 30 and coming off a major injury. 

10-12 million is not going to be easy to get a big WR contract in under the cap without backloading a massive contract that probably is not going to be tenable for the Bills long term.

I think the Bills with the addition of MVS are probably going to see what they have at WR to start the season and then if there’s a real lack of firepower they can make an in season acquisition where it will be a lot easier to fit a bigger contract under the cap 6+ weeks into the season.

I also think the Bills brass may also want to see what they have and know what they need to add (do they need a burner, a big body or something else?) The options likely will open up more and be easier to fit under the cap around the trade deadline.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

The Bills will not functionally have 10 million when Tre’s money hits. Their cap space on June 1st will be 12.7 million but the Bills will need to officially sign the rookies which will intake 1-2 million, they will need to reserve 4 million for the practice squad and 3 million for in season emergencies and overruns. 

So in reality that’s going to leave the Bills with about 3.7 to 5 million in actual space. Of course the Bills could convert the rest of Josh’s salary to create another 6 million in space which will get the Bills back up to 10-12 million in space.

There is the chance they can also restructure Ed Oliver’s contract but I doubt they are going to touch Milano’s deal as Milano is 30 and coming off a major injury. 

10-12 million is not going to be easy to get a big WR contract in under the cap without backloading a massive contract that probably is not going to be tenable for the Bills long term.

I think the Bills with the addition of MVS are probably going to see what they have at WR to start the season and then if there’s a real lack of firepower they can make an in season acquisition where it will be a lot easier to fit a bigger contract under the cap 6+ weeks into the season.

I also think the Bills brass may also want to see what they have and know what they need to add (do they need a burner, a big body or something else?) The options likely will open up more and be easier to fit under the cap around the trade deadline.

They only need to have the money available to complete the trade and absorb the contract.  They would then extend the player and free up the money needed for the season, but I agree.. it's highly unlikely they do this.  

If there's any chance at getting Jefferson, you figure it out.  But everyone else, it's going to be difficult to justify the backloading of a contract for Tee Higgins, when we just drafted a similar guy in Coleman. 

3 minutes ago, SCBills said:

They only need to have the money available to complete the trade and absorb the contract.  They would then extend the player and free up the money needed for the season, but I agree.. it's highly unlikely they do this.  

If there's any chance at getting Jefferson, you figure it out.  But everyone else, it's going to be difficult to justify the backloading of a contract for Tee Higgins, when we just drafted a similar guy in Coleman. 

I think the Bills doing the cap gymnastics (converting the rest of Josh's money, converting Ed's money and then doing a heavily backloaded extension) to do a pre-season trade is unlikely. I think there's also the chance that they like what they have on the roster or at least like it enough to go into the season with it then consider a deadline deal if they need some more firepower. MVS gives you that vet depth you needed at the WR4 spot and you have Claypool and Hamler to kick the tires on and compete with Shorter for that WR6 spot (Hollins occupying that WR5 in that special teams role similar to Jake Kumerow and Sherfield.)

32 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Yes, you just need to get the money for the initial blast and then restructure.  For instance I have included an excerpt from the Dave Bryan article above.  His calculations show $13M to be able to get him in and then an easy restructure to have his cap hit be reduced by almost $6M:

image.thumb.png.0680c1d73b911175cfb593c1e1c8705e.png

I disagree with your J Jefferson or nothing approach though.  Any top WR that pushes Hollins/MVS/Claypool from any type of meaningful minutes is of value.  But Higgins would be far down my list.  Metcalf or Aiyuk for a $7M cap hit, on a 4 year contract is what I'm talking about.

On 5/13/2024 at 11:57 AM, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Justin Jefferson and CeeDee Lamb.

With the continued news of J Jefferson and the rumors of trade still going on, I probably should not have overlooked your suggestion.

J Jefferson was not extended by Minn, rumors floated that Minn wanted to move up and get Naber.  J Jeff probably wouldn't mind leaving Minn and the rookie QB .  Florio has stated Minn could be open to trading him if the offer is right.  The Bills have an excellent trade history with Minnesota.

Neither Florio or the Connor Orr article mention what the right offer is exactly.  The Bills would need to unload draft capital, have around $20M to take J Jeff on, and then give J Jeff the biggest WR to date. 

All are theoretically possible.  Give up a 1st and 2nd, have the Tre money + Josh restructure + Oliver restructure, then backload a massive contract for about 6 years.

Wouldn't that be something.

• Like (+1) 1