Funny - old NFL vs today’s NFL

On 5/3/2024 at 10:18 PM, GoBills808 said:

And defensive tackles were 240

Your healthy breakfast on gameday was a pot of black coffee and a pack of Marlboro Reds. 

3 minutes ago, Sweats said:

Watch some of the old clips of Deacon Jones.........that dude used to punch guys in the face and slap their ears at the LOS.

They specifically had to outlaw the head slap because of him, IIRC. 

5 hours ago, Bills!Win! said:

We’re face masks not penalties? Why was that clip shown? 

I looked it up. Players couldn't grab the face mask since 1964. And stomping on someone has been a penalty since the leather helmet days. But they used to show penalties on highlight reels all the time back then. I mean, how many hockey fights VHS tapes did the NHL release?

On 5/3/2024 at 4:41 PM, Gregg said:

The way they showed the scores back then looks so cheap :)

I love me some Musburger. Here's for me the most Musburger moment in broadcasting history, and no it's not McCarron's girlfriend. 

On 5/3/2024 at 9:33 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

IMO..........the last great, violent NFL game.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/game/_/gameId/340119026/49ers-seahawks

The rules had drastically changed 4 years earlier and the old-school games became gradually fewer and far between until this one closed the era.

This game brought great satisfaction to watch. 

Used to enjoy those 9ers - ‘Hawks games. Always pulled for SF though as I hated the Seahawks and still do. Agree with your take overall though for sure, those were great to watch. 

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Used to enjoy those 9ers - ‘Hawks games. Always pulled for SF though as I hated the Seahawks and still do. Agree with your take overall though for sure, those were great to watch. 

Those games and the Steelers-Ravens games from around that era(maybe a little before then) were great 

• Like (+1) 1