The Sphere venue in Las Vegas

Logic

On 2/5/2024 at 5:14 PM, Logic said:

Holy hell, looks like it's gonna be more fun than a frog in a glass of milk.

Got my frog and glass of milk.  Now am I just supposed to put the frog in the glass and see what happens, or am I supposed to drink the milk with the frog in the glass?  

• Haha (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

Got my frog and glass of milk.  Now am I just supposed to put the frog in the glass and see what happens, or am I supposed to drink the milk with the frog in the glass?  

That depends entirely on what kind of Wednesday night you're lookin to have.

It’s really cool. Great sound and you can still talk to the person next to you. During “Atomic City” they put up a street scene of LV that includes the street directly adjacent to Sphere with all the same signage. It took me a minute to figure out if it was a real-time video of the street outside. Incredibly real including a plane flying in up in the top left of the dome. Finally I noticed no pedestrians. Bottom line - really cool. Band sounded good, not great. Setlist 💯

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, The Poojer said:

Got my tix for Dead & Company for the sphere.  Can't wait

Just curious:

Which shows are you going to? Did you get the tickets through pre-sale and, if so, how was your experience?

In my case, there were three of us, all trying on different devices, for tickets. Each of us picked a date. Even though we were all in the queue quite early, I was the only one who got tickets. My two friends were shut out. I was able to circle back an hour later when they dropped additional (more expensive) tickets and get a second date.

We're in for May 30th (200s section, great seats) and May 31st (awful seats in the 400s, but much cheaper). You?

1 hour ago, Logic said:

The Dead have definitely always been the quintessential "just go out and play" band, with very little "show" at their concerts, other than the liquid light shows in the ballrooms in the late 60s in San Francisco. Ever since then, they've been about as anti "show" as a band can get.

If you know about the audience of the Dead, though, you know that they tend to enjoy imbibing certain recreational and botanical substances that would make something like a three dimensional immersive 4K sphere rather...interesting? Terrifying? Life-changing? Not sure the right word. 

Hokey light shows don't really appeal to me either, but if you've taken a peak at the stuff U2 did at their show at the Sphere, it's certainly far beyond a light show. Futhermore, I've seen Dead and Co a bunch in recent years, and save for John Mayer, they really aren't much to look at :) 

Most of the time at Dead concerts, I experience much of the show with my eyes closed. This'll be the first time in a while that I (and my mycologically enhanced brain) will be doing some watching. Can't wait to see what they have in store.

And lastly...Yes. Prices for this residency are/were outrageous. I don't blame anyone who doesn't wanna shell out this kind of cash. Highway robbery. I'm gonna take in two shows (maybe three) and make a weekend of it with my Deadhead pod of friends. The circus that is 20,000 Deadheads descending on the circus that is Vegas. Gonna be a hoot.

Oh...believe me I get it. Thats what we do "space" for!!!  Just not feeling it, myself. Im sure it will be a real good time for those who go. 

• Like (+1) 1

Clearly you weren't at shows where Jay Lane sat in for Billy K....he's pretty dreamy😁

2 hours ago, Logic said:

The Dead have definitely always been the quintessential "just go out and play" band, with very little "show" at their concerts, other than the liquid light shows in the ballrooms in the late 60s in San Francisco. Ever since then, they've been about as anti "show" as a band can get.

If you know about the audience of the Dead, though, you know that they tend to enjoy imbibing certain recreational and botanical substances that would make something like a three dimensional immersive 4K sphere rather...interesting? Terrifying? Life-changing? Not sure the right word. 

Hokey light shows don't really appeal to me either, but if you've taken a peak at the stuff U2 did at their show at the Sphere, it's certainly far beyond a light show. Futhermore, I've seen Dead and Co a bunch in recent years, and save for John Mayer, they really aren't much to look at :) 

Most of the time at Dead concerts, I experience much of the show with my eyes closed. This'll be the first time in a while that I (and my mycologically enhanced brain) will be doing some watching. Can't wait to see what they have in store.

And lastly...Yes. Prices for this residency are/were outrageous. I don't blame anyone who doesn't wanna shell out this kind of cash. Highway robbery. I'm gonna take in two shows (maybe three) and make a weekend of it with my Deadhead pod of friends. The circus that is 20,000 Deadheads descending on the circus that is Vegas. Gonna be a hoot.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, The Poojer said:

Clearly you weren't at shows where Jay Lane sat in for Billy K....he's pretty dreamy😁

Haha. More of a Jeff Chimenti guy myself. The way that long white hair blows in the wind....

• Haha (+1) 1

I had a very 'pleasant' experience with the presale, got into the waiting room about 10 minutes prior, the queue while a bit slow only was about 45 minutes for me.  Picked a couple seats and checked out.  Decided to try and get back into the queue and it was less than a minute. tried picking a few choices but they disappeared, just kept trying and wound up with a second pair.

I absolutely love the all in pricing aspect.  $295 tickets were $295 not $295 plus fees.  I saw the breakdown after the purchase but i love that all in price point(blissful ignorance i suppose)

I got back half sec 109 and 302 if i recall correctly.  I can't wait

45 minutes ago, Logic said:

Just curious:

Which shows are you going to? Did you get the tickets through pre-sale and, if so, how was your experience?

In my case, there were three of us, all trying on different devices, for tickets. Each of us picked a date. Even though we were all in the queue quite early, I was the only one who got tickets. My two friends were shut out. I was able to circle back an hour later when they dropped additional (more expensive) tickets and get a second date.

We're in for May 30th (200s section, great seats) and May 31st (awful seats in the 400s, but much cheaper). You?

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, The Poojer said:

not only did i get Sphere tix, i also got Phil Lesh Q tix for his 84th birthday shows at the capital....this year is starting out pretty awesome

I can't believe Phil will be 84. Given all the hard partying they did it's amazing that any of the core of 4 are still around.

• Like (+1) 1

I love that he has his Quintet lineup

"Gov't Mule frontman Warren Haynes, Widespread Panic's Jimmy Herring, Dark Star Orchestra keyboardist Rob Barraco and drummer John Molo"

1 minute ago, Gregg said:

I can't believe Phil will be 84. Given all the hard partying they did it's amazing that any of the core of 4 are still around.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, The Poojer said:

I love that he has his Quintet lineup

"Gov't Mule frontman Warren Haynes, Widespread Panic's Jimmy Herring, Dark Star Orchestra keyboardist Rob Barraco and drummer John Molo"

I don't know if you saw this, as I posted it in the share some music thread. Santana is on stage with them here.

• Like (+1) 1

When and where did you see them, it's too bad you had a bad experience, personally i am a huge fan

4 minutes ago, Irv said:

Grateful Dead - by far the worst concert I ever saw.  I can't believe they call that crap "music".   Made me want to be dead. 

7 minutes ago, The Poojer said:

When and where did you see them, it's too bad you had a bad experience, personally i am a huge fan

I don't remember.  Didn't even tune their instruments.  Gerry Garcia couldn't carry a tune with a five-gallon bucket.  Awful.      

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.