Brandon Beane Presser

4 hours ago, Success said:

I didn't listen to it - but the loss to KC is still pretty fresh.  He's likely pretty gutted this week, just like all of us.  

This team IS in good shape going into next year.  The O-line is set. How many times have we been able to say that? We have Allen, and a good youthful core on offense w/ Cook, Shakir & Kincaid.

On defense, we may see the best LB corps in the JA era next year, with both Milano & Bernard playing, and if Williams can take a step. We're always good at CB, and have good players there.  The line should be okay if Oliver can keep up his great play.  Hopefully we sign Epenesa, and Von can be more impactful.

Safety is the area that needs addressing, but I'm sure we draft someone, and pick up a FA.

The team just has to stay a little healthier next year.  We're right there w/ the top teams in terms of talent.

D line needs some work… only have Oliver, Groot and Miller back … going to need to get creative with some cheap FAs but mainly in the draft … and I don’t want them spending a first on the D line unless it’s a can’t miss .,.

2 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

Neither did anything noteworthy in our divisional round loss to KC. 

Nor did Oliver. It was a tough game for the defense. AJ made some game changing plays this season but he disappears too often. Floyd got the sacks Von should’ve been getting. Great pick up by Beane. 

Edited by Breakout Squad

8 hours ago, NeverOutNick said:

Please merge if there is a topic already. 

First off, I’m a big Brandon Beane supporter, I went into watching his presser for the first time today thinking I’m excited to hear what Brandon Beane has to say about what his plan is and to get some truth on what he was disappointed with this year. I came away, thinking man he really took a defeatist attitude into next year, preparing fans for a year of the same or worse. I wanted to hear we have the best player on the planet quarterbacking our team so we’re gonna do everything in our power to get him what he needs so that we can win a Super Bowl next year because that is always the goal when Josh is our quarterback. I did not hear that. It wasn’t the Brandon Beane I normally appreciate. It was deflating and didn’t make me confident in him or McD for this offseason or next year. He doesn’t have to tell us his specific plan because he’s a good poker player but at least have that passion and that optimism to say we’re gonna win a Super Bowl sooner than later because we still have Josh Allen as our quarterback and my job as GM is going to be to give him everything he needs.

Beane has stated he won't be seen on Main Street of free agency due to salary cap constraints.

Accordingly, he's not going to make dramatic statements about surrounding Josh with new weapons.

If Beane made a bold statement about getting new great things for Josh, he would be fibbing. That's not his style at all.

• Like (+1) 1

I have only just got around to watching it. Been hitting the draft stuff hard the past week so only just sat down and watched the presser. I didn't think he sounded defeatist in the slightest. Certainly not compared to last year's when he definitely did. I thought Beane was quite upbeat and realistic that this team is literally 3 or 4 plays a way and it is going to be small margins that is the difference between whether we can make those extra 3 or 4 plays or not.

The two things I liked most about what he said in terms of strategy and potential changes there:

1. We might not be able to keep five vet D Tackles we think can play - Halle-freaking-luja. Beane has thrown way too much cash at bad value vet D tackles. From Jordan Phillips to Vernon Butler to PooPoo Ford. They HAVE to find a guy there eventually who can play on a cheap deal. Ideally a day 3 pick they feel comfortable with in that rotation. 

2. We might have to sacrifice some depth to put the most competitive team around Josh. YES. We have one of the deepest rosters in the NFL, we have had for 3-4 years. That is part of why we can absorb so many key injuries the last two seasons and still win our division. The problem is that depth eventually comes at the cost of another potential difference maker or two. Tyrel Dodsons and Dane Jacksons might well make sure you can still be competitive down starters. But are you better with a bigger drop off at those spots and at defensive tackle and at guard or something than with an extra receiver who make a difference or an extra impactful defender? I'd take being slightly thinner in some spots next year if it is the difference between bringing in a good vet safety to partner with Poyer or an extra vet receiver to compliment Diggs and our shiny draft pick.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Things not as bad as a lot of outsiders might think …

But still some work to be done by Beane this offseason … number of depth players  needs to be replaced Kevin, in addition to the four starters … needs to be done on the cheap …

2022 Draft came at the right time with Cook, Bernard, Shakir and Benford all solidly contributing , and Elam and Spector still providing depth …

Imagine if he had of hit on Elam …still only 2 years in so hopefully there is still some improvement in some of these guys 

Edited by Aussie Joe

I don’t know what Beane is supposed to do given our cap situation. It’s entirely his fault and he should sound sheepish but he’s going to need to pull several rabbits out of his hat just to field a full roster next year. It’s made especially worse with the fact that the guys we’d ideally like cut to create space like Von, we can’t. We are no longer a few plays away. This team needs a reset year in the worst way. 

1 hour ago, Aussie Joe said:

Things not as bad as a lot of outsiders might think …

But still some work to be done by Beane this offseason … number of depth players  needs to be replaced Kevin, in addition to the four starters … needs to be done on the cheap …

2022 Draft came at the right time with Cook, Bernard, Shakir and Benford all solidly contributing , and Elam and Spector still providing depth …

Imagine if he had of hit on Elam …still only 2 years in so hopefully there is still some improvement in some of these guys 

This is why I am more encouraged than I was last year. They have some real contributors now on their rookie deals still. The 2022 draft with Cook, Bernard, Shakir and Benford suddenly looks really strong. 

Needs to hit another good class here.

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/27/2024 at 1:38 PM, Success said:

I didn't listen to it - but the loss to KC is still pretty fresh.  He's likely pretty gutted this week, just like all of us.  

This team IS in good shape going into next year.  The O-line is set. How many times have we been able to say that? We have Allen, and a good youthful core on offense w/ Cook, Shakir & Kincaid.

On defense, we may see the best LB corps in the JA era next year, with both Milano & Bernard playing, and if Williams can take a step. We're always good at CB, and have good players there.  The line should be okay if Oliver can keep up his great play.  Hopefully we sign Epenesa, and Von can be more impactful.

Safety is the area that needs addressing, but I'm sure we draft someone, and pick up a FA.

The team just has to stay a little healthier next year.  We're right there w/ the top teams in terms of talent.

I like your points, but we need a speed WR, Safeties, and extend Jones and Epenesa.  I’d rather they cut  Miller at this point.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.