Allen's career: Rivers, or Manning/Jordan?

Success

I see so many comps to Rivers & the Chargers now.  Great QB, good team - but can never get over the hump.

Maybe I can't get past my own bias, but I see Allen as an all-time great.  Rivers was never that.  It's so hard for me to imagine that Allen won't get over the hump at some point and win at least 1 title.

The comparisons I prefer are Peyton Manning, who was owned by the Patriots until he wasn't, and Michael Jordan, who lost to the Pistons 3 times in the playoffs before finally besting his nemesis and moving on to become a 6-title legend.

And if you were around at those times, you'll remember that the narratives were the same for Manning & Jordan as they are for Allen right now.

Jim Kelly didn't start going to Super Bowls until he was in his 30's.  There is so much hand-wringing about Allen in the media about "will he ever?" and all that.  He's 27.

• Like (+1) 3

We need to get him someone who doesn't shrink in the moment like Diggs has been doing. He needs more weapons. One that make it impossible to shut down everyone.

Kincaid is trending towards being one of them. They need another WR to pair with Diggs and Shakir who can cause havoc and play the John Brown role. That's when the offense was at it's best...when it could threaten you vertically and you had to respect it...that opened up so much stuff underneath and even those tunnel screens with DBs backed off.

They better address it in the draft this year or Beane will be neglecting the major issue for the 3rd straight year.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Agree 1

Allen plays a very physical game and his running ability makes him two dimensional and a nightmare for defenses.  I think he has a few more years left before he loses the ability to take those hits on consistent basis.  I don’t see him as that impactful as a typical pocket passer with some ability to evade the rush.  He doesn’t have the same skillset as a Brady or Manning. Perhaps Allen can play later in his career similar to John Elway, I don’t remember how he played past 30. Or is Brett Favre a better comparison? We have been lucky so far that he hasn’t had a significant injury as well. Time is ticking.  This team is bottom 5 without Allen. 

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Mopreme said:

Allen plays a very physical game and his running ability makes him two dimensional and a nightmare for defenses.  I think he has a few more years left before he loses the ability to take those hits on consistent basis.  I don’t see him as that impactful as a typical pocket passer with some ability to evade the rush.  He doesn’t have the same skillset as a Brady or Manning. Perhaps Allen can play later in his career similar to John Elway, I don’t remember how he played past 30. Or is Brett Favre a better comparison? We have been lucky so far that he hasn’t had a significant injury as well. Time is ticking.  This team is bottom 5 without Allen. 

Elway might be a better comparison.

It's a good point about Allen's running.  He'll have to adjust his game at some point.  He tried earlier this season - and it didn't work.

But like Elway, it could depend on the team they build around him.  And Allen has a great arm & touch - he'll always be a top 5 passer, even without his running.

38 minutes ago, Success said:

I see so many comps to Rivers & the Chargers now.  Great QB, good team - but can never get over the hump.

Maybe I can't get past my own bias, but I see Allen as an all-time great.  Rivers was never that.  It's so hard for me to imagine that Allen won't get over the hump at some point and win at least 1 title.

The comparisons I prefer are Peyton Manning, who was owned by the Patriots until he wasn't, and Michael Jordan, who lost to the Pistons 3 times in the playoffs before finally besting his nemesis and moving on to become a 6-title legend.

And if you were around at those times, you'll remember that the narratives were the same for Manning & Jordan as they are for Allen right now.

Jim Kelly didn't start going to Super Bowls until he was in his 30's.  There is so much hand-wringing about Allen in the media about "will he ever?" and all that.  He's 27.

What happened with both Manning and Jordan? They got rid of their head coaches that couldn’t win big and brought in the right ones. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.