Jerod Mayo is the new Pats HC

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think Mayo could be a talented Head Coach. It isn't like he was someone no-name candidate. He was a finalist for the Eagles job that went to Siriani, he interviewed with a couple of teams last year (definitely Denver and I have a feeling one other) and Carolina had already put in a slip for him this year. But man this is a hell of a situation to be thrown into. And what they do at GM now is going to be fascinating. 

The question for me is can he be a new start or is he too much continuity candidate in an organisation desperate for a re-set.

He'll go as far as his GM and QB take him (look at Belicheat).  Those are the next critical moves but hiring a good GM with a HC already on-board is a tough sell while they'll be in-line to get at-best the 3rd best QB (I think Chicago will take one and Washington certainly will).

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Well, you know they’re gonna continue to have a good defense

Offensively we will see

It's going to be interesting for sure in Foxboro. If you're under 30 you would not probably remember the Pats without Belichick. I think I heard yesterday that during his time there that the Bills, Jets and Dolphins collectively went through 25 head coaches. So you talk about stability you were seeing it in N.E. for about 1/4 of a century as far as a head coach. For them they're entering unchartered waters and as an outsider it will be interesting to see how that team is run after being run one man's way for that long.

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think Mayo could be a talented Head Coach. It isn't like he was someone no-name candidate. He was a finalist for the Eagles job that went to Siriani, he interviewed with a couple of teams last year (definitely Denver and I have a feeling one other) and Carolina had already put in a slip for him this year. But man this is a hell of a situation to be thrown into. And what they do at GM now is going to be fascinating. 

The question for me is can he be a new start or is he too much continuity candidate in an organisation desperate for a re-set.

Agreed.

The Pats finished 7th in defense (yards) this past season.  I'm going to assume, and maybe I shouldn't, that Mayo can keep the D on the right track even without the grumpy genius.

The offense, on the other hand, finished 30th and requires both an OC and QB, among other needs.   And filling the roster needs is going to require a good GM.  

A lot has to fall into place for Mayo to be successful.  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.