Hitting Jenny Finch

Here's a recent article about hitting her.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/sto...gene&id=2080969

Piazza, Sexson, Dimitri Young, Mike Cameron, ALBERT PUJOLS all K'd against her.

Here's a quote from the article------

In all, about 30 big-leaguers have stepped into the batter's box against three-time All-American/gold medal-winning Olympian/National Pro Fastpitch star Jennie Finch, and only two players -- Sean Casey and Scott Spiezio -- even made contact.

355128[/snapback]

But EZC could hit her 9/10.... :(

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got $50 says EndZoneCrew could hit a Jenny Finch pitch 9/10 times.

354771[/snapback]

bring that sh-- Finch.....I'll take her deep at the plate and then I will do the same over a bar stool in my Buffalo Bills Florida room!!

I'd love to see them turn this thing around and have some of the best softball batters try to hit off of the best MLB pitchers. I'm willing to bet the results would be very similar. These people are used to their own sport. If you gave them some time to adapt to the other game, they'd be able to hit.

I'd love to see them turn this thing around and have some of the best softball batters try to hit off of the best MLB pitchers.  I'm willing to bet the results would be very similar.  These people are used to their own sport.  If you gave them some time to adapt to the other game, they'd be able to hit.

355276[/snapback]

Oh, it'd be worse. One of those dykes would crowd the plate and Clemens would plunk 'em.

I had the opportunity once to stand a couple of feet from Jennie Finch as she warmed up. This girl can bring it. I wouldn't mind standing in the box against her to see what it's like. Wouldn't mind a lot of things with her but this isn't penthouse forum. Besides the fact that she is an awesome pitcher, she is a beautiful woman. She is really down to earth too. While at the exhibition where I saw her, there were hundreds of young girls (ages 5-18) that were following her around everywhere. The team was on a strict schedule that night but JF asked the coach if she could sign some autographs for the crowd and she ended up standing there for about an hour and a half, even after it started raining, to sign something for anyone that asked. She is quite the icon for young girls. And older men for that matter!! :doh:

Since I pitched fast pitch for 15 years, I know a little about the subject. About the only pitch I couldn't throw was a spitter. Although I tried. A knuckle ball is actually easy to throw underhand, although it is better for show than for practicallity. Just like in the majors it doesn't always move and there are hitters who immediatley know it is going slow when it doesn't spin. A ball spinning down works much better.

Btw, a bigger ball breaks more. Bigger pressure difference. Although the closer distance means it has less time to move.

Major leagures are at a disadvantage when they first face a softball pitcher. They are used to the ball coming down from a high angle, overhand plus mound. Obviously in fastpitch the ball starts about a foot or two off the ground. That low start makes the rise ball rather difficult to judge.

Two antedotes. The best presence of mind play I ever saw was by the third baseman of Canadien girls team. A player on the opposing team layed down a perfect bunt. The 3B'r ran in a saw it was obvious she wasn't going to throw the girl out and that the ball was going to be in fair territory. She moved down theline two feet, stuck the toe of her shoe in the ground and twisted making a small trench for the ball to follow into foul territory, which it did. What I can't do justice to in this is the quickness of her decision in doing this.

Perhaps the greatest fastpitch pitcher ever lived in Rochester and pitched for Kodak Park. His name was Shifty Gears. There have been a lot of great pitchers in the country, but what separates Shifty from the others is he could throw equally well with either hand! I understand he would put the ball and both hands behind his back and then come out firing. It is a shame I never got to see the guy.

Since I pitched fast pitch for 15 years, I know a little about the subject.  About the only pitch I couldn't throw was a spitter.  Although I tried.  A knuckle ball is actually easy to throw underhand, although it is better for show than for practicallity.  Just like in the majors it doesn't always move and there are hitters who immediatley know it is going slow when it doesn't spin.  A ball spinning down works much better.

Btw, a bigger ball breaks more.  Bigger pressure difference.  Although the closer distance means it has less time to move.

Major leagures are at a disadvantage when they first face a softball pitcher.  They are used to the ball coming down from a high angle, overhand plus mound.  Obviously in fastpitch the ball starts about a foot  or two off the ground.  That low start makes the rise ball rather difficult to judge.

Two antedotes.  The best presence of mind play I ever saw was by the third baseman of Canadien girls team.  A player on the opposing team layed down a perfect bunt.  The 3B'r ran in a saw it was obvious she wasn't going to throw the girl out and that the ball was going to be in fair territory.  She moved down theline two feet, stuck the toe of her shoe in the ground and twisted making a small trench for the ball to follow into foul territory, which it did.  What I can't do justice to in this is the quickness of her decision in doing this.

Perhaps the greatest fastpitch pitcher ever lived in Rochester and pitched for Kodak Park.  His name was Shifty Gears.  There have been a lot of great pitchers in the country, but what separates Shifty from the others is he could throw equally well with either hand!  I understand he would put the ball and both hands behind his back and then come out firing.  It is a shame I never got to see the guy.

355898[/snapback]

I remember as a kid a guy who would play fast pitch softball with his donkey against any fast pitch softball team a town could put together. He would pitch from second base and his donkey would bat the ball.

He K'd everyone he met, and the donkey could hit everyone. It was hysterical.

This guy toured around the country doing this gig.

How does a Donkey hit the ball? I can't imagine. But thanks for getting my curiosity up. I did a search on Eddie Feigner, aka The King and his Court. This appears to be his farwell tour year. He's 80!!! He must be another Jack Lalane.

Anyway, I see him booked for Geneva,NY which is within driving distance, so I may take a shot at seeing him again. The Last I saw him it was about 1988. He had slowed down quite a bit from the time I saw him in 73, so I can't see how he can still be effective but the guy used to pitch from 1 to 3 games a day all summer, so maybe he can still "Bring it" for a couple of innngs.

How does a Donkey hit the ball?  I can't imagine.  But thanks for getting my curiosity up.  I did a search on Eddie Feigner, aka  The King and his Court.  This appears to be his farwell tour year.  He's 80!!!  He must be another Jack Lalane.

Anyway, I see him booked for Geneva,NY which is within driving distance, so I may take a shot at seeing him again.  The Last I saw him it was about 1988.  He had slowed down quite a bit from the time I saw him in 73, so I can't see how he can still be effective but the guy used to pitch from 1 to 3 games a day all summer, so maybe he can still "Bring it" for a couple of innngs.

356477[/snapback]

He was really something, even 20 years ago.

I remember as a kid a guy who would play fast pitch softball with his donkey against any fast pitch softball team a town could put together. He would pitch from second base and his donkey would bat the ball.

He K'd everyone he met, and the donkey could hit everyone. It was hysterical.

This guy toured around the country doing this gig.

356048[/snapback]

Can't believe nobody solved that problem by beaning the donkey. :doh: