OT - Fried bologna sandwiches

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys will probably disown me, but I'm also going to experiment with turkey bologna. It should be a fun weekend trying all these different ways.  :P

354547[/snapback]

God God ! What next ? Soy wings ? :)

This is ALL wrong. I don't eat low-cal Koala bear. I prepare the real thing !

...With a nice bottle of Merlot, of course.

Not sure if it is still there?... Might have been taken over (My brother would know, Frankie grew up with my father...)? But, Frank's on Harlem at Clinton for decades has made his signature "Helicopter" sandwich... Pretty sure dating back to the late '50's/'60's... The best fried bologny sandwich around!

I still remember going there as a kid (of course I would get the grilled cheese!)... Classic diner, the grill right in front... Sit at the counter, booths allong the side.

:)

From an Aussie Vineyard I hope??  :)

(I'll bring you a good one to the opener)

354683[/snapback]

Ever hear of Ross Estates 2002 Lyndoch ? ( Bordeaux ) Costs $20 a bottle and may be the best wine I ever had. I'm a big fan of Australian wines. It's on sale this week at the premier group and I'll pick up a bottle for Saturday.

Check out the Chilean wines if you want a real treat for a budget price.

354835[/snapback]

True, but you're late.

There actually was a time here when one could discuss wines, cigars, cognacs, good scotch, good bourbon... - and not be beaten down and be told one was stupid by not discussing what was on TV last night. I guess all that kind of conversation belongs in the "Animal Husbandry" forum now.

Hey Fezmid...maybe there should be an addition to the recipe section? Libations?

Does a nice Montrochet go with baloney sammich?

Baloney sammiches are good. So is a nice wine.

Check out the Chilean wines if you want a real treat for a budget price.

354835[/snapback]

Casa Real Cabernet Sauvignon is one I enjoyed recently. Very smooth.

Has the Mrs. brought some back in her travels , B ?

OK - at the risk of revealing a total lack of WNY culture and even though I lived there for 8 years, I have to admit that I've never tried a fried bologna sandwich. I did, however, love bologna as a kid so I'm sure I would like this unique culinary delight.

So, my fellow wallers, please describe to me (in detail) how I should prepare a fried bologna sandwich.

354288[/snapback]

I ahve no idea, but when I lived in Rochester the super in one of the apartments I had used to make these. Worst smell ever. I would imagine that a rotting, bloated corpse would be an improvement.

You guys will probably disown me, but I'm also going to experiment with turkey bologna. It should be a fun weekend trying all these different ways.  :(

354547[/snapback]

What's next ? - Tofu pierogi ?

Wine with fried balogna sandwiches ?

What kind of crowd is this becoming ?

turkey bologna?

I agree with some other voices in that you should try the original stuff first. MUCH different flavor than the turkey. Frying it really changes the flavor IMO. I also second that you make some cuts around the edge to help it stay (more) flat and thus fry better.

after you try the original, then experiment to your hearts content.

What's next ?  -  Tofu pierogi ?

Wine with fried balogna sandwiches ?

What kind of crowd is this becoming ?

355279[/snapback]

Watch it Bob...NG was already in hot water for pierogi defacement comments. Now...he has no tongue, and he sleeps with the chicken wings.

Watch it Bob...NG was already in hot water for pierogi defacement comments. Now...he has no tongue, and he sleeps with the chicken wings.

355686[/snapback]

I agree. The mighty pierogi is sacred! Fried and smothered in butter and onions is the only way. Enough with the boiled and tofu talk