OT - Fried bologna sandwiches

I agree.  The mighty pierogi is sacred!  Fried and smothered in butter and onions is the only way.  Enough with the boiled and tofu talk

355708[/snapback]

I HAVE been known to butter and sourcream...

I remember my Babza making them scratch, a mound of flour on a pillowcase, eggs in the center to make the dough...all kinds of fillings. I have a Polish "PenPal" (I-NET variety) that is visiting the States in September. If my friend can get to DC, I'll have a freezer full of scratch pierogi.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I HAVE been known to butter and sourcream...

I remember my Babza making them scratch, a mound of flour on a pillowcase, eggs in the center to make the dough...all kinds of fillings. I have a Polish "PenPal" (I-NET variety) that is visiting the States in September. If my friend can get to DC, I'll have a freezer full of scratch pierogi.

355716[/snapback]

My father is 100% Ukrainian. Every meal at my Grandmothers house we had Pierogi, Kielbasa, Borshct, Hallupchi(sic- galumki in Polish). Every meal. Is Babza Polish? I called my Grandmother Baba and my Grandfather Dido.

My father is 100% Ukrainian.  Every meal at my Grandmothers house we had Pierogi, Kielbasa, Borshct, Hallupchi(sic- galumki in Polish).  Every meal.  Is Babza Polish?  I called my Grandmother Baba and my Grandfather Dido.

355719[/snapback]

Pronounced BAHB-cha. I don't know how to spell it (Hey, Nervous guy...get up from the dead and help me out here).

In Buffalo, we always called them "gawumpki". I kind of taught Darlene how to make them, and that Savannah Georgia Gal took them over. We'd always make a couple big batches over the Christmas season, using green AND red cabbage. She would actually mince by hand veal, beef and pork into a blend, and season it herself. They were great.

Fried bologna is usually an event at my house....Probably a heart stopping event but an event, nonetheless....

First off..Go to your local Deli and order a pound or two of Bologna..When the young zit-faced clerk asks you how you want that sliced, just BARK, "I don't".

Proceed to the produce section...Pick out a few nice onions,be creative here....a few white onions and a few red onions work well...

While still in the produce section, pick up a half pound or a full pound of jalepeno's...screw the green or bell peppers, they are nothing but wannabee's...

Proceed to the dairy section...Pick up some butter..not margarine,not some fancy-ass pansy heart healthy cheap imitation good for you substitute make you feel good tub of false hope putty...While you are there pick up some cheese.

Head on over to the bakery...Pick out your bread of choice..I prefer francicitas (mini french bread)...

Be sure to pay for your goods...

THE FRYING...

The secret here is to use an Iron skillet....I use two...one for the bologna and one for the onions and jalepeno's...if you don't sneeze or well up over the skillet with the peppers and onions then you messed up...

Fry the bologna to your liking...if it turns up a little or a lot burnt around the edges just proclaim it "Cajun"....

Top it off by adding Webers, kethup or whatever your choice....I prefer pico-de-gallo, but whatever blows your dress up.....

Enjoy

Fried bologna is usually an event at my house....Probably a heart stopping event but an event, nonetheless....

First off..Go to your local Deli and order a pound or two of Bologna..When the young zit-faced clerk asks you how you want that sliced, just BARK, "I don't".

Proceed to the produce section...Pick out a few nice onions,be creative here....a few white onions and a few red onions work well...

While still in the produce section, pick up a half pound or a full pound of jalepeno's...screw the green or bell peppers, they are nothing but wannabee's...

Proceed to the dairy section...Pick up some butter..not margarine,not some fancy-ass pansy heart healthy cheap imitation good for you substitute make you feel good tub of false hope putty...While you are  there pick up some cheese.

Head on over to the bakery...Pick out your bread of choice..I prefer francicitas (mini french bread)...

THE FRYING...

The secret here is to use an Iron skillet....I use two...one for the bologna and one for the onions and jalepeno's...if you don't sneeze or well up over the skillet with the peppers and onions then you messed up...

Fry the bologna to your liking...if it turns up a little or a lot burnt around the edges just proclaim it "Cajun"....

Top it off by adding Webers, kethup or whatever your choice....I prefer pico-de-gallo, but whatever blows your dress up.....

Enjoy

355874[/snapback]

Awesome ! I may differ on the peppers ( jalepeno's kill me) but the rest is perfect. I do use an iron skillet. Excellent point.

UPDATE:

I experimented a lot this weekend and have discovered a healthy way to enjoy fried bologna.

A chunk of "turkey" bologna, sliced about 1/3" thick.

Green peppers and white onions, sliced thick.

Toss everything together in some virgin olive oil.

I used a "fish" plate on the barbecue. It's metal and has holes in it. Sprayed it with a little spam.

Got it good and hot and put everything on at once. Kept the barbecue lid open and kept turning the mixture. Yes, #89, I made the little score marks around the edge.

Then, when it was almost done, I put two thick slices of sourdough (yes sourdough) bread on the outer edge of the grill so it would warm and get slightly toasted.

Spread a little light mayo on the bologna as it finished cooking.

Put everythning onto the bread and added a little more light mayo and Webers Mustard on one side and "Stadium Mustard" from Cleveland on the other.

Believe me....it was absolutely delicious.

Well....what do you expect from a damn foreigner. ;)

Proceed to the dairy section...Pick up some butter..not margarine,not some fancy-ass pansy heart healthy cheap imitation good for you substitute make you feel good tub of false hope putty...While you are  there pick up some cheese.

What  time is this being served ..I'll be right there...What kind of beer do you want me to bring...???

THE FRYING...

Enjoy

355874[/snapback]