Anyone been to Hawaii?

My wife and I booked a cruise to go to Hawaii next year (May 7th-May21st). Just wondering if anyone else has done a 14-day cruise across the Pacific and what your impressions were.

Last year (June '04) we took a 7-day cruise from Vancouver to Alaska and then back down to Seattle. That was an awesome experience and I'd recommend it to anyone. I'm not so sure I'm going to enjoy spending 8 days at sea though. I guess I'll get a lot of reading/writing done... :w00t:

Anyway, just curious if anyone else has tried something similar and if they want to share experiences.

CW

We've been to Hawaii about 8 times, but always by air. Maui is great, Kawaii is beautiful, the Big Island is a mixture of flat volcanic plains and lush rain forests, Molokaii is very quiet, and Oahu is bustling around Honolulu, but nice up on the North Shore. We really like Hawaii.

Also have done a few cruises, which I find to be too restrictive. I'd rather just get there and do my own thing.

My wife and I booked a cruise to go to Hawaii next year (May 7th-May21st).  Just wondering if anyone else has done a 14-day cruise across the Pacific and what your impressions were.

Last year (June '04) we took a 7-day cruise from Vancouver to Alaska and then back down to Seattle.  That was an awesome experience and I'd recommend it to anyone.  I'm not so sure I'm going to enjoy spending 8 days at sea though.  I guess I'll get a lot of reading/writing done... :w00t:

Anyway, just curious if anyone else has tried something similar and if they want to share experiences.

CW

353505[/snapback]

I did a 7 day cruise in Tahiti, Bora Bora, Morea, etc... Only a couple of days were actual at sea, most of the time it was just several hours between islands. As long as you are on a cruise ship with a lot to do I'm sure it will be a blast. Reading, etc. is fun but you'll also need some variety to keep things interesting. Multiple restaurants to visit, different classes and activities will make it enjoyable. What cruise ship are you on? I went on the Paul Gaugin.

I spent 8 days on the USS Peleliu steaming from San Diego to Pearl Harbor. Not much fun.

Probably not the same thing though.  :w00t:

353507[/snapback]

The Peleliu! My buddy was on that boat. I'm thinking it was around '93 to '95. You?

I did a 7 day cruise in Tahiti, Bora Bora, Morea, etc...  Only a couple of days were actual at sea, most of the time it was just several hours between islands.  As long as you are on a cruise ship with a lot to do I'm sure it will be a blast.  Reading, etc. is fun but you'll also need some variety to keep things interesting.  Multiple restaurants to visit, different classes and activities will make it enjoyable.  What cruise ship are you on?  I went on the Paul Gaugin.

353514[/snapback]

We're going on the Radience of the Seas (Royal Carribean). They have a rock climbing wall, so I'll probably try that (not that I'm in the best of shape, but it does look like fun). They had some really good classes and seminars when we went to Alaska (on the Mercury, Celebrity Cruise ship). I didn't mind the two days at sea we had on that trip, just concerned about 8... :w00t:

The price was right though -- $1899/person. Airfare to Hawaii was around $1600 alone so the cruise is a better value, and the food (especially dinner) is definately top-notch on the ships.

CW

We've been to Hawaii about 8 times, but always by air. Maui is great, Kawaii is beautiful, the Big Island is a mixture of flat volcanic plains and lush rain forests, Molokaii is very quiet, and Oahu is bustling around Honolulu, but nice up on the North Shore. We really like Hawaii.

Also have done a few cruises, which I find to be too restrictive. I'd rather just get there and do my own thing.

353511[/snapback]

We lived there two years. The Army finally took pity on me, sent me somewhere good and let me retire out of there. I have to echo this. Get out to the outer islands, and don't spend the bulk on Oahu, unless you have to. Maui was always our favorite. Sunrise on Haleakala is an awesome experience. North shore Oahu is pretty cool, but can get crowded on the weekends. If you like a quieter beach, try the western shore, around Makaha.

I was stationed there for 3 years. Oahu is very nice but get out of Honolulu to find cheaper things to do. Hanama Bay is the best snorkling (beautiful), North Shore is a lot of fun but I definitely don't suggest trying to surf there. :w00t: Kailua is a very nice town on the other side. It's over by Kaneohe Bay. (Jack from Lost hangs out at Kailua beach and lives in Kailua) The climb to the top of Diamond Head isn't too difficult and the view from atop is awesome. If you're on Oahu go to the "swap meet" at Aloha Stadium. Great prices for suveniers (sp?) and there's tons of stuff there.

Maui is beautiful as well. Cool for whale watching. The Big Island is fun if you go to the volcano. (stinks though) Kauai is the most beautiful island. This is more the "movie type" Hawaii. Very plush and green.

Spent a week on Maui for my honeymoon. I second the sunrise at Haleakala.

Since you're on a cruise, you won't have time to do the complete Road to Hana, but we loved it. Driving through different terrain (rainforest, hills, narrow bridges, etc.) was great.

Snorkeling/whale watching/golfing, etc. all great. Some REALLY good restaurants as well - David Paul's in Lahaina was our favorite!

I'm going to second SF Bills Fan and recommend Kauai (I stayed at the Princeville Resort). You're away from all the tourist-type stuff there.

USMCBillsFan is right on about the snorkeling in Hanama Bay, too. It's really great. A climb to the top of Diamondhead might be in order. It's a bit of a tourist trap, but you'll get some nice pictures of Waikiki from the top.

As long as you spend some time away from downtown Honolulu, you'll do just fine.

I'm going to second SF Bills Fan and recommend Kauai (I stayed at the Princeville Resort).  You're away from all the tourist-type stuff there.

USMCBillsFan is right on about the snorkeling in Hanama Bay, too.  It's really great.  A climb to the top of Diamondhead might be in order.  It's a bit of a tourist trap, but you'll get some nice pictures of Waikiki from the top.

As long as you spend some time away from downtown Honolulu, you'll do just fine.

353709[/snapback]

Word of warning for diamond head-take bottled water and a good flashlight. You have to sort of crawl through the old coastal artillery emplacements to get to the actual top, and it's dark in there.

Word of warning for diamond head-take bottled water and a good flashlight. You have to sort of crawl through the old coastal artillery emplacements to get to the actual top, and it's dark in there.

353718[/snapback]

Good point. I forgot about that! :w00t: I left Hawaii in 95. One other point. You must go see the Arizona Memorial. Very somber film and huge part of history. I reenlisted on it in 1995 and raised a flag to the top of the flagpole. Very humbling.

I went TDY there when I was in the Air Force....

But I was too drunk to remember half of what I did there.....

but my Air Force buddies keep telling me this story about a tarzan contest, a bikini contest, going swimming drunk in the ocean, and almost being eaten by a tiger shark......

And I was right in the middle of it.......

Good point. I forgot about that!  :w00t:  I left Hawaii in 95. One other point. You must go see the Arizona Memorial. Very somber film and huge part of history. I reenlisted on it in 1995 and raised a flag to the top of the flagpole. Very humbling.

353721[/snapback]

Some really good info in the thread; I'll have to see how much we can do, since we're on the cruise.

The Arizona is DEFINATELY something we're going to do. I'm really looking forward to that.

Here's the list of where we'll be and what days and times:

Day City/Island Arrive Depart

Fri Lahaina, Maui 7:00 am 5:00 pm

Sat Nawiliwili, Kauai 7:00 am 6:00 pm

Sun Hilo, Big Island 7:00 am 6:00 pm

Mon Honolulu, Oahu 7:00 am 11:00 pm

Tue Kailua-Kona, Big Island 8:00 am 3:00 pm

CW

I'm going to second SF Bills Fan and recommend Kauai (I stayed at the Princeville Resort).  You're away from all the tourist-type stuff there.

353709[/snapback]

I stayed at the Princeville too. Great place. That whole coast was awesome. I'd recommend a helicopter ride too.