Anyone been to Hawaii?

Hanama Bay is the best snorkling (beautiful), North Shore is a lot of fun but I definitely don't suggest trying to surf there.  :doh: 

:w00t: I thought I was going to body-surf on the North Shore with some friends, until I saw the size of the waves, and the way people were getting slammed into the beach. "Pacific", my butt! Snorkling at Hanauma Bay was one of the neatest things ever. It's a huge tropical fish tank. Lots of good advice here, depending on what you prefer. The only bad time possible is if you think you're immune to sunburn. Get the spf that you squeeze the bottle and a sweater comes out.

I lived there for two years. Cancel the cruise and fly there to spend more time in Hawaii. After you go I can't imagine you saying ... gee I wish we could have spent more time on the boat and less time on Hawaii!

Beware the local tough guys if you are blond. When walking down the street or beach don't make a lot of eye contact if you don't want their unwanted attention. They are called Mokes. Learn a little pigin before you go too.

You are going at a great time of year. The sunsets are super. The tap water is as pure as bottled here. Oh, bring money.

Aloha ~

Some really good info in the thread; I'll have to see how much we can do, since we're on the cruise.

The Arizona is DEFINATELY something we're going to do.  I'm really looking forward to that.

Here's the list of where we'll be and what days and times:

Day  City/Island  Arrive  Depart

Fri  Lahaina, Maui    7:00 am  5:00 pm

Sat  Nawiliwili, Kauai  7:00 am  6:00 pm

Sun  Hilo, Big Island  7:00 am  6:00 pm

Mon  Honolulu, Oahu  7:00 am  11:00 pm

Tue  Kailua-Kona, Big Island 8:00 am  3:00 pm

CW

353723[/snapback]

Lahaina - Front Street is very cool - lots of ocean front restaurants, shops, galleries etc. Many nice beaches nearby. Haleakala is about a 45 minute drive. Harbor has many fishing, snorkel/dive charters. Whale watching December thru April.

Kauai - not sure where Nawiliwili is, we stayed southeast shore near Poipu. Best thing is Waimea Canyon, or a helicopter tour to see more (NaPali coast etc).

Hilo - Volcano. Mauna Loa macadamia nut plantation/factory is close by.

Honolulu - Pearl Harbor is a must. Diamond Head & Waikiki are cool. Hanauma Bay, as people have said, is some great snorkeling.

Kona - This area is becoming more developed. Kahalu'u Beach Park has good snorkeling with lots of turtles.

Unfortunately having to be at sea in the evenings you won't get to do a luau.

We've been to Hawaii about 8 times, but always by air. Maui is great, Kawaii is beautiful, the Big Island is a mixture of flat volcanic plains and lush rain forests, Molokaii is very quiet, and Oahu is bustling around Honolulu, but nice up on the North Shore. We really like Hawaii.

Also have done a few cruises, which I find to be too restrictive. I'd rather just get there and do my own thing.

353511[/snapback]

I'm sure you've heard the joke that all the tour guides tell on all the tourist busses. They tell you the Hawaiian terms for first time and second time visitors to the islands. Tourists who come three or more times are called "rich."

I've been once, to bustling Waikiki, though we did get around to the north shore and got to some other spots too. Loved it and want to go back. I want to see the Big Island and either Maui or Kauaii

II think I would second the thoughts on flying versus cruising. If you're going to cruise, cruise to somewhere close. Fly to Hawaii. Reading a few other posts brought back some memories. We did a luau. Great fun, pork to die for. Snorkeled at Hanauma Bay. My son took underwater pictures of a Hawaiian Green Sea Turtle. The North shore is dead calm in the summer. No waves, but sea turtles bask on the beaches. The crater inside diamond head is for all practical purposes a desert. Great view from the military structures at the peak. We took a hike in the rain forest below Pali pass and rode to the top at Pali pass. It is a formation in the eastern mountain range of Oahu that acts like a wind tunnel. Winds of 30, 40, 50 MPH and higher are not uncommon. Whatever the trade winds blow at sea level, multiply the speed by about three times to get the wind speed at Pali Pass. The Polynesian Cultural Center is interesting. The submarine ride at the Hilton Hawaiian village is pricey for what it is, but it was enjoyable too. Of course, don't forget Pearl Harbor. After 60+years there is still fuel oil leaking from the tanks of the Arizona.

As others have said, take money. Hawaii is very expensive.

Unfortunately having to be at sea in the evenings you won't get to do a luau.

354108[/snapback]

I was hoping to do a luau in Honolulu since we don't leave until 11pm. Is that reasonable?

My wife really wants to do the cruise; it's right after a very hectic schedule for her (working full time, taking two classes for her MBA and working part time at H&R Block for tax season), and she wants the "sit back without any cares" that the cruise will provide. Plus, cost does factor in. Roundtrip airfare to Hawaii was roughly $800/pp, whereas it's about $300/pp to San Diego. The cruise (for 14 days) is only $1800/pp and covers all the food and obviously room for the whole trip. I agree that I'd like to spend more time in Hawaii itself, but that's not going to happen on this trip.

Of course, don't forget Pearl Harbor. After 60+years there is still fuel oil leaking from the tanks of the Arizona.

Definately looking forward to that. One thing that shocked me (and probably shouldn't, in this post 9/11 world) is the fact that you're not allowed to bring ANY bags to the Arizona monument, including purses and camera bags. Sounds ridiculous to me, but we saw it mentioned on several sites. What the heck am I going to do to the ship that hasn't already been done?! Oh well.

The submarine ride at the Hilton Hawaiian village is pricey for what it is, but it was enjoyable too.

There was a submarine ride I wanted to do, but don't recall where it was. Same thing with the helicopter tour.

I didn't realize Hawaii was expensive - thanks for the warnings everyone.

CW

A gallon of milk was $8 when we were there. You can get hawaiian shirts dirt cheap though. I suggest the International Marketplace in Waikiki for souvenirs on Oahu. It is kind a bazaar hidden amongst the buildings in one block. Dozens and dozens of merchants selling food, ukeleles, clothing, jewelry etc. in cheaply made shelters. Some is open air, sheltered by banyan trees and palms. Other areas are roofed. It's all kind of campy and quaint.

I think the same submarine company operates from the Big Island. I think those are the only two locations where you can get rides.

Here are a couple interesting facts about the cocnut palms you'll see in Honolulu.

1. City workers regularly remove any cocnuts from the trees that line the streets of Waikiki because some years ago a tourist was hit and injured by a falling coconut. He sued the city for a relatively modest amount and won the case. Later he decided he should have sued for more. He tried to sue again but this time his case was thrown out of court. The city realized they had lucked out and did not want to take any more chances. Thus, you'll never see a coconut on the cocnu palms of Waikiki.

2. On almost all of the coconut palms of Waikiki you will see a a band of tin wrapped around the trunk, fifteen or twenty feet off the ground. This is to prevent rats from climbing the trees and nesting in the tree tops. Rats are a huge problem in Honolulu.

BTW, all the land on which Waikiki (a subsection of Honolulu) is located is reclaimed swamp land. the canal on the backside was built to catch the water draining off the mountains so the land of Waikiki could be used. All of the land of Waikiki is owned by a private school, bequeethed to that school by Hawaiian royalty back in the days when there was Hawaiian royalty. The school requires that all students attending have some native Hawaiian blood. Why they have gotten away with what amounts to state sanctioned discrimination for so long is anyone's guess. When we were there, a non-native student was suing for entrance. Anyway, all the businesses on Waikiki lease the land from the school. I can only wonder at how many millions of dollars is paid in rent each year.

We stayed at the Ohana West on our vacation. I got an incredible deal over the internet, a two bedroom suite for $125 a night. The price was so cheap for Hawaii that for months I was living in fear that somehow it was not legitimate, until we actually got there. They weren't the newest rooms in Waikiki, but they were really very nice and clean. You won't find a deal like that on the major internet lodging sites, Hotwire, Expedia etc. Single rooms generally run $140 a night and up. But then, on a cruise you won't be worrying about that.

There was a submarine ride I wanted to do, but don't recall where it was.  Same thing with the helicopter tour.

I didn't realize Hawaii was expensive - thanks for the warnings everyone.

CW

354217[/snapback]

If it's the submarine ride off Oahu, skip it. GIANT rip off. The dinner cruises suck too.

If it's the submarine ride off Oahu, skip it.  GIANT rip off.  The dinner cruises suck too.

354376[/snapback]

Why do you say it's a ripoff? Just because of the cost? Or is it not that much fun? I thought it sounded cool (although I don't remember which island it was off of...).

Pretty sure we won't be doing any dinner cruises, considering we'll be doing that for four days there and four days back :)

CW

i like your subject line "...either fly or cruise..."(sic), as if you could amtrak or drive to hawaii :)

My wife and I booked a cruise to go to Hawaii next year (May 7th-May21st).  Just wondering if anyone else has done a 14-day cruise across the Pacific and what your impressions were.

Last year (June '04) we took a 7-day cruise from Vancouver to Alaska and then back down to Seattle.  That was an awesome experience and I'd recommend it to anyone.  I'm not so sure I'm going to enjoy spending 8 days at sea though.  I guess I'll get a lot of reading/writing done... :P

Anyway, just curious if anyone else has tried something similar and if they want to share experiences.

CW

353505[/snapback]

Fez, dont go, every thing looks just like 99th street.

Been once, couple years ago. We went to Maui and the big island. Took a bike ride down some big ass mountain in Maui. Forget the name, but some crazy people go up there at like 4.00am to see the sun rise. We did it in the afternoon. Had lunch and a couple of beers on the way down.

Greatest bike ride of my life. went like 20 some miles without ever pedaling.

i like your subject line "...either fly or cruise..."(sic), as if you could amtrak or drive to hawaii :)

354422[/snapback]

I wasn't interested in the people who swam there, as I don't think I could swim that far... :P

CW

Fez, dont go, every thing looks just like 99th street.

Been once, couple years ago. We went to Maui and the big island. Took a bike ride down some big ass mountain in Maui. Forget the name, but some crazy people go up there at like 4.00am to see the sun rise. We did it in the afternoon. Had lunch and a couple of beers on the way down.

Greatest bike ride of my life. went like 20 some miles without ever pedaling.

354437[/snapback]

That be Haleakala. Great restaurant about half way down, nice views. Lots of cattle and horse ranch to ride past. Take a jacket...it gets cold up there.