We sucked. But, why is no one talking about the incompletion into “forward progress, first down?”

npeartisgod

1 hour ago, Philp8980 said:

What happened to completing the process of a catch? And survi ing the ground? Does that only apply when the player is going out of bounds? Still don't know what a catch is in 2023. 

A player who makes a catch may advance the ball. A forward pass is complete (by the offense) or intercepted (by the defense) in the field of play, at the sideline, or in the end zone if a player, who is inbounds:

a. secures control of the ball in his hands or arms prior to the ball touching the ground; and

b. touches the ground inbounds with both feet or with any part of his body other than his hands; and

c. after (a) and (b) have been fulfilled, performs any act common to the game (e.g., tuck the ball away, extend it forward, take an additional step, turn upfield, or avoid or ward off an opponent), or he maintains control of the ball long enough to do so. 

2.) If a player, who satisfied (a) and (b), but has not satisfied (c), contacts the ground and loses control of the ball, it is an incomplete pass if the ball hits the ground before he regains control, or if he regains control out of bounds

Was he considered down by contact before the ball was ripped out so he didn't need to meet 'c' ? I don't really know. I think if the ball popped out like that, without a defender touching him, it would've been an incompletion. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, DrPJax said:

Guy actually made catch. He was touched on replay but his butt was far enough for the first down. The refs made a mistake announcement according to New York/ ref in the booth. 

They never really contact NY imo. The broadcast ref just says ***** cause he has nothing else to say 

15 hours ago, npeartisgod said:

Definitely one of the worst vibes at the Ralph. More weird plays than I’ve ever seen in one game. But, how on EARTH, does an incomplete pass get turned into forward progress first down? Anyone?

it was either incomplete, a fumble, or shouldve been 4th down.   I think incomplete would've been the correct call.   But the Bills made so many blunders and lost in such a stupid way, that picking out questionable calls by refs just doesn't give any satisfaction.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.