Simms: Gabe Davis is a good player, but he's not a number two

SydneyBillsFan

1 hour ago, Since1981 said:

Might be cheap but it is the opportunity cost of him in the #2 position. Fact of the matter is that he is taking the #2 seat and routes. Therefore, someone else is not (e.g., shakir, kincaid, knox, TBD). He's pals with 17. A bigger OC mind/stature would override this friendship aspect.

Well that's all fine, but then Beane needs to take that heat, not Davis.  

Beane's had six drafts now to craft this roster.  Milano wasn't his pick, neither was White, and Jones was a free agent.  Everyone's complaining about what's left, aka Beane's draft picks.  

So in essence, since "we suck on defense" now, that has to mean that Beane's draftees aren't cutting it.  Three of them start on the DL, Groot, AJE, and Oliver.  Our LB corps are nothing but Beane draftees now.  Jackson, Johnson, and Benford start in the secondary.  

On 10/18/2023 at 9:04 PM, BillsFan130 said:

Gabe had a perfect role in 2020 and in 2021.

Benefitted when teams didn't put a lot of focus on him and capitalized on a lot of Josh Allen scrambles.

His problem is he struggles to consistently separate against CB2s, and has inconsistent hands

Not a good combo for a WR2

Agree 100% I said all these things about Davis in the offseason, had fans say I didn’t know what I was talking about and heavily defended “Playoff Gabe.”

• Like (+1) 1

Gabe's doesnt run the full route tree and lacks speed to be a take the top off wr  He cant win consistently early in the route  Nice #3 wr but you need a more polished/and or explosive guy as your #2  For where he was drafted he's a nice player and probably a good dude  

• Like (+1) 1

Gabe best role was Wr #4 playing the opposite slot to Beasley. He needs to go bk to that big slot role which btw we don’t run much of anymore since Daball took the Giants job.  Dorsey should be using field stretchers at the other outside position like Isabella and Harty at the very least teams would have to respect there abilities to get open deep and not only that they both are good running after the catch . The problem is there is a major drop off in blocking Gabe is our best blocking Wr. I say to hell with that we don’t run very well anyways rather have the speed on the field . 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.