Phillies

Dan in Owego

Just like the other team we are probably alluding to, the Phillies are fundamentally flawed as a team and are relying entirely too much upon a small number of things to repeatedly go right and for players to continually do unusual things. The structural flaws are their bullpen and their strikeout ratio.  They'll lose the World Series exactly the same way they lost it last year. One or two bats will go cold and they won't be able to get people out in key spots. There has been a lot made of the number of solo home runs they've been hitting recently.  That is as damning an indicator as anything. Nobody has been getting on base. Keep Schwarber and Harper in the yard and you win. Hell, go ahead and walk them both. Bohm and Realmuto are good for at least 1 DP a game. Stott hasn't hit a ball hard in weeks. Castellanos forgot what a strike looks like and if you're getting beaten by Marsh and Rojas you shouldn't be in the WS to start with.

• Agree 1

I think Texas is the best remaining team but the back end of their pen is a major issue.  The Carter kid has given them a much needed boost.  As far as I’m concerned this is anybody’s guess.  I’d lean Philly in game 7.  The Az rookie pitcher was great in game 3 and really helped them but game 7 on the road????

On 10/23/2023 at 1:09 AM, That's No Moon said:

Just like the other team we are probably alluding to, the Phillies are fundamentally flawed as a team and are relying entirely too much upon a small number of things to repeatedly go right and for players to continually do unusual things. The structural flaws are their bullpen and their strikeout ratio.  They'll lose the World Series exactly the same way they lost it last year. One or two bats will go cold and they won't be able to get people out in key spots. There has been a lot made of the number of solo home runs they've been hitting recently.  That is as damning an indicator as anything. Nobody has been getting on base. Keep Schwarber and Harper in the yard and you win. Hell, go ahead and walk them both. Bohm and Realmuto are good for at least 1 DP a game. Stott hasn't hit a ball hard in weeks. Castellanos forgot what a strike looks like and if you're getting beaten by Marsh and Rojas you shouldn't be in the WS to start with.

Harper and Schwarber in the yard, pitching couldn't handle the pressure, nobody else in the offense stepped up. Good night, Irene.

What's nice about this is I'm half a Phillies fan at best. I've lived here most of my life at this point but obviously grew up in a place with no MLB team. I don't have any particular loyalty to the Phillies. If I move again it will be easy to switch teams again. That means that tonight I'm not angry or even that disappointed. It's kinda of like "oh well".  Is that what it's like to be a casual fan? Football and hockey don't do that to me. The Bills legitimately annoy me often and the Sabres are like the child who never stops disappointing you. You keep watching because you feel like you owe it to them to try to care but you know they will mess it up in the end.

I've lived in the philly area since 2010 and am in no way shape or form a Phillies fan, Yankee fan through and through and really don't care a lick about any NL Teams.  That said, i was rooting for the Phillies fans, being among the hoopla is fun, and it's really nice to be embedded with a fanbase that has had considerable success.  Can't imagine Fox Sports is thrilled with a Texas v Arizona world seried

9 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

What's nice about this is I'm half a Phillies fan at best. I've lived here most of my life at this point but obviously grew up in a place with no MLB team. I don't have any particular loyalty to the Phillies. If I move again it will be easy to switch teams again. That means that tonight I'm not angry or even that disappointed. It's kinda of like "oh well".  Is that what it's like to be a casual fan? Football and hockey don't do that to me. The Bills legitimately annoy me often and the Sabres are like the child who never stops disappointing you. You keep watching because you feel like you owe it to them to try to care but you know they will mess it up in the end.

On behalf of all Mets fans...Garret Stubbs and the rest of the Red Tide,or Red Army or Hunt for Red Submarine, or whatever their fans call themselves, can goooooooooo pound it.  Im sure Gugny agrees.

With that out of my system...both Championship Series were good. Phillies have a good cohesive team, overall.  But thats a brutal loss. Harper in that spot late with two runners on...cant miss there. 

Edited by RkFast
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.