Anyone else think that JP Losman should...

go back into the film room and not come out till preseason starts? I'm a little uncomfortable with him getting so much press and props before he's even proven it in a real game. I know it's NOT HIS FAULT because the Bills are trying to hype him and the team. All that I'm saying is that if he continues to get so pumped up from now till the first game it will get a bit silly because of his having no real experience yet. This team should choke back on the Losman marketing blitz and should remind everyone this is a defensive oriented team right now. Talk about putting pressure on the dude, here's Jack Kemp! Here's Jim Kelly! Now here's JP Losman! C'mon TD, this aint no way to ease in a young QB. If the hype continues I could also forsee the veterans getting very annoyed, I know I'd be.

From what I've been reading he has been bustin' his hump in the film room, and weight room. This guy is ready, willing and able to make Donahoe look spectacular with this pick.

351805[/snapback]

So were all supposed to act as if he's a done deal? That's not how it works in football. You get the respect AFTER you've done it on the field, not before.

From a business stand point they are selling season tickets right now.

In a way it is good that he is not a rookie at handling the press as an NFL player, especially a QB who is expected to deliver. He also has seen what happened to Collins, Flutie, Johnson, Bledsoe - I am sure that off camera he is being well trained.

He has had a year to observe, prepare and participate a little. It seems he has been trained by the best, now all we can do is let him show us what he has. :lol:

GO BILLS!

go back into the film room and not come out till preseason starts? I'm a little uncomfortable with him getting so much press and props before he's even proven it in a real game. I know it's NOT HIS FAULT because the Bills are trying to hype him and the team. All that I'm saying is that if he continues to get so pumped up from now till the first game it will get a bit silly because of his having no real experience yet. This team should choke back on the Losman marketing blitz and should remind everyone this is a defensive oriented team right now. Talk about putting pressure on the dude, here's Jack Kemp! Here's Jim Kelly! Now here's JP Losman! C'mon TD, this aint no way to ease in a young QB. If the hype continues I could also forsee the veterans getting very annoyed, I know I'd be.

351802[/snapback]

They're getting everyone excited about the upcoming season. They sure know

how to sell tickets...Maybe they have seen JP in practice and are more excited

than the fans.

So were all supposed to act as if he's a done deal? That's not how it works in football. You get the respect AFTER you've done it on the field, not before.

351807[/snapback]

That's when you get "we're doooomed!" too. :lol::lol:

From what I've been reading he has been bustin' his hump in the film room, and weight room. This guy is ready, willing and able to make Donahoe look spectacular with this pick.

351805[/snapback]

And he has the playbook mastered and has spent countless hours with the great QB developer, Sam Wyche. No one should criticize JP's work ethic or all-around preparation.

If he fails, it won't be for lack of off field work or preparation.

I'm actually hoping he takes about a 2 week break from it all before camp to ease his mind a bit and let the information sink in. Like every college student, if you study way too much, you'll be so worn out by the time the test comes that your mind will be running 150 mph and you're more likely to forget some things. February was a long time ago, a 2 week break will only help.

This is a good topic. I agree with what everyone is saying but, let's play devil's advocate for a second.

TD and MM must have a lot of faith in Losman's ability. They see him at practice, studying film AND in the weight room everyday. They know if he's a player or not. The problem of assessing Losman's talent is the intangibles. How does JP see the field in a real game? How does he respond to pressure?

MM has enormous confidence in his own abilities as well. He brings out the best in every QB that played for him. Especially when his running game was going well, which I'm sure he's anticipating the same type of production from Willis McGahee this year as he got from Bettis back then. BTW. Do you think WM has the, I hate to use this word, "potential", to be a better back then Jerome? I do. When the running game is going well, MM even gets an insurance salesman and that I'm not sure if I'm a QB or WR slash guy playing like real QB's. Imagine what he can do with JP.

We also boast the top special teams and second rated defense overall in the the NFL.

There's a flip side to all of this also. Is it now safe to say, after five straight years and zero playoff appearances, that TD is on the hotseat as GM of the Bills? What does he have to lose? He might even get to keep his executive job with the Bills and hire himself a GM if things go bad. You have to admit, the guy is a schrewed business man. Take a look at all the jerseys he is selling!

351802[/snapback]

Actually, one of the reasons he has gotten so much hype is that he has spent so much time in the film room....smile. But I do understand where you are coming from with this post. If he does fall, (GOD FORBID), it will be an even harder fall based on all the hype.

But, as we all know, that is not going to happen!!!

Bottom Line:

JP, according to all reports, has worked his butt off to prepare for this season. Doesn't he deserve to come out in public once in a while, or should we make a 24 year old guy stay in a cave until the season starts?

Being uncomfortable with Losman getting media attention is pure silliness. First off, since we are all huge Bills fans we pay attention to every nugget about him in the media. Other than the occassional "Young players to watch out for" list in SI, he is not getting so much pub outside of WNY. Nationally he is not really on anyone's radar yet. Second, The guy has been named the starting QB for an NFL team. That is an incredibly rare job to have. The confidnece that he has is an asset in my opinion.

351807[/snapback]

Marketing 101

Bottom Line:

JP, according to all reports, has worked his butt off to prepare for this season. Doesn't he deserve to come out in public once in a while, or should we make a 24 year old guy stay in a cave until the season starts?

351881[/snapback]

I have no problem with him coming out in public. I have a problem with them presenting him as the heir apparent to the greats. They need to cool their jets with that stuff because his job will be difficult enough. I can already see the national media commenting on how everyone in Buffalo has JP in the Hall of Fame already.

I have no problem with him coming out in public. I have a problem with them presenting him as the heir apparent to the greats. They need to cool their jets with that stuff because his job will be difficult enough. I can already see the national media commenting on how everyone in Buffalo has JP in the Hall of Fame already.

351953[/snapback]

Just getting him used to the public adoration he will receive when he becomes the greatest player of all time. :lol:

351807[/snapback]

Well then we will continue this conversation on September 11 @4:15 p.m.

Personally, I think it is a very GOOD idea for management to get JP accustomed to dealing with the press. A few weeks ago, Sam Wyche said as much.

Even if he is everything we hope he turns out to be, there is little doubt that JP will run into his share of problems in his first season as a starter. When young QBs run into these kinds of problems, it is often their inability to withstand the never-ending questions from the media that leads to their demise. Ryan Leaf is the perfect example. In contrast, think back to how Peyton Manning handled himself in the midst of his trying rookie season.

Not only is JP getting valuable experience dealing with the media and fans in what is now a friendly atmosphere, but by making himself so available to the press, he is also building an enormous amount of good will. That should at least buy him a few extra games if/when he struggles and the Jerry Sullivans of the world are tempted to start calling for his head.

Personally, I think it is a very GOOD idea for management to get JP accustomed to dealing with the press.  A few weeks ago, Sam Wyche said as much.

Not only is JP getting valuable experience dealing with the media and fans in what is now a friendly atmosphere, but by making himself so available to the press, he is also building an enormous amount of good will. That should at least buy him a few extra games if/when he struggles and the Jerry Sullivans of the world are tempted to start calling for his head.

352055[/snapback]

Agreed. They are purposely getting him in front of the media now so that he becomes more comfortable there. That is just another thing an NFL starting QB is going to have to deal with - you can't avoid it so you might as well learn now and be comfortable with it. And obviously the goodwill with the media and fans and positive image it sends doesn't hurt either.

Personally, I think it is a very GOOD idea for management to get JP accustomed to dealing with the press.  A few weeks ago, Sam Wyche said as much.

Even if he is everything we hope he turns out to be, there is little doubt that JP will run into his share of problems in his first season as a starter. When young QBs run into these kinds of problems, it is often their inability to withstand the never-ending questions from the media that leads to their demise. Ryan Leaf is the perfect example. In contrast, think back to how Peyton Manning handled himself in the midst of his trying rookie season.

352055[/snapback]

Jerry Sullivan already has his Monday September 12 article written in case the Bills blow the opener:

"Another Donahoe mistake; throwing away so many draft picks to move up to take a guy that has no idea what he's doing on the football field. Losman will not be starting by week 3 and Donahoe should be fired by the bye week. Why doesn't anyone listen to me, I should be the President and GM of the Buffalo Bills."