My HSBC Rant

My mortgage is with HSBC and I called to inquire about some payment options. I was sent to India to the HSBC call center. It took me 10 minutes to understand the customer service rep and another 10 to get the information I needed.

With the economy of WNY doing so poorly, wouldn't a call center be welcomed? I am amazed at how these companies think saving a couple of bucks moving jobs to India is going to help the stock price. I was so frustrated I hung up. How's that for customer service?

And thank you HSBC - you made my decision to refinance my loan with someone else very easy.

My mortgage is with HSBC and I called to inquire about some payment options. I was sent to India to the HSBC call center. It took me 10 minutes to understand the customer service rep and another 10 to get the information I needed.

With the economy of WNY doing so poorly, wouldn't a call center be welcomed? I am amazed at how these companies think saving a couple of bucks moving jobs to India is going to help the stock price. I was so frustrated I hung up. How's that for customer service?

And thank you HSBC - you made my decision to refinance my loan with someone else very easy.

351524[/snapback]

Most banks have call centers overseas. Whoever you refinanace your mortgage with will probably have call center in India too. FYI, HSBC used to have most of its call center operations in downtown Buffalo but they let those employees go because they can save $$ by hiring people in India willing to do the job for $2/hour that would pay $10+/hour here.

HSBC used to have most of its call center operations in downtown Buffalo but they let those employees go because they can save $$ by hiring people in India willing to do the job for $2/hour that would pay $10+/hour here.

351532[/snapback]

That's my point. I can understand the english the good people of Buffalo speak...

Most banks have call centers overseas.  Whoever you refinanace your mortgage with will probably have call center in India too.  FYI, HSBC used to have most of its call center operations in downtown Buffalo but they let those employees go because they can save $$ by hiring people in India willing to do the job for $2/hour that would pay $10+/hour here.

351532[/snapback]

That is asanine if you think about it, who the heck are they gonna loan money to if people keep moving jobs overseas for miniscule wages? Eventually the wages there will go up too, and what have you done? Saved money for a few years while cutting your own throats. If we refused to do business with them, and told them why, things might change. I do my business with my local credit union. Everybody there seems to speak English very well.

Not that this is the nicest thing to say, but I often wonder what would happen if India and/or Pakistan launched a nuclear warhead at the other one... How quickly would companies pull out?

CW

I find this humorous.

Not many cared a rat's patoot when manufacturing flew overseas in the '90's and the trade deficit increased geometrically, as long as they could buy cheap goods.

351574[/snapback]

I paid $100 for a pair of Ron Mexico cross trainers from Nike.

351524[/snapback]

Hate to burst your bubble, but HSBC ain't exactly American.

"HSBC" isn't short for "Here i am Servicing your Bank account from a Call center in Buffalo".

HSBC has a far greater presence overseas than in the States, and a HUGE presence in the far east. They've been around a lot longer overseas than you or I have been on this earth, to be sure.

351524[/snapback]

Sadly, this been going on for quite some time. It doesn't matter who sits in the White House.

I guess corporate Amerika no longer stands behind it's products anymore. They just want your money and hope you never have to contact them again. Pathetic, huh?

If they can't find people who can speak English, they should just fold their businesses and find something to do with their money instead of infuriating the rest of us.

Not that this is the nicest thing to say, but I often wonder what would happen if India and/or Pakistan launched a nuclear warhead at the other one...  How quickly would companies pull out?

CW

351549[/snapback]

LMAO! <_<

Perhaps we can start some silly rumor about Kashmir and hope they have their fingers on the button. <_<

Give me a break... HSBC is saving a COUPLE of bucks? HSBC is saving TONS of money by sending these jobs over there. Starting wage is $1100 a year. Compare that to $30,000-ish here. It only makes business sense.

351597[/snapback]

Don't forget benefits...what do you think the health care costs are in India?

It'll be interesting to see what happens to this country in the next few years, since EVERYTHING is being outsourced. Everyone know that McDonalds is currently outsourcing the drive-through order taking position? In the next year or two, there won't be a kid in McDonald's taking your order in the drive-thru, it'll be in a call center. How long before that call center is outsourced to another country?

Time to get a job in the service industry; can't outsource something where you physically need to be somewhere.

CW

• 2 weeks later...
Not that this is the nicest thing to say, but I often wonder what would happen if India and/or Pakistan launched a nuclear warhead at the other one...  How quickly would companies pull out?

CW

351549[/snapback]

about as asinine as wondering how our trade relations would go if we exchanged nukes with China - I have no idea where you're going with this. India is the world's largest democracy. Don't you think the future of our uber-capitalist culture relies on tapping into the developing markets of China and India? I'm no fan of outsourcing, but instability in successful democracies is a far bigger concern to the big picture of preserving national security.

I opened my long distance phone bill a few months back to find that I was being billed for calls that I never made. In fact, one of the calls was made from a third party in place where I don't know anybody and I have never visited, to another place with the same qualities. I called the company and the guy answering the phone told me that he was in India. I explained my situation about three times and each time the guy put me on hold and finally said that he couldn't delete the charges from my bill. I sent a letter to my carrier explaining the situation and I told them I have dramatically cut back on my long distance usage as a result. It was only for about 75 cents but the principle is what is important. The phone operator in India wasn't rude but clearly he did not resolve my situation as I would like. I understand that our's is an economically integrated world and the US isn't going to have all the best jobs. I also understand that the people in India are just trying to make a living like myself but come on. The costs are low and the profits are high as long - as I am making the phone calls. But there will be no way that this company will be profiting from calls that I never made.

The company is Everdial which is supposedly in the Midwest

351524[/snapback]

So you buy no products made overseas, because they are cheaper?

Check your clothing labels, cell phone, computer, cups, glasses, tools, cars, etc.... You are just as guilty if you buy something made there.

So you buy no products made overseas, because they are cheaper? 

Check your clothing labels, cell phone, computer, cups, glasses, tools, cars, etc....  You are just as guilty if you buy something made there.

362527[/snapback]

Guess what? You aren't going to be able to buy stuff that's 100% made in america any more. It just isn't feasible.

Guess what? You aren't going to be able to buy stuff that's 100% made in america any more. It just isn't feasible.

362580[/snapback]

Then why rant when someone moves something overseas. They are growing the world economy.

Then why rant when someone moves something overseas.  They are growing the world economy.

362587[/snapback]

You never hear me rant about it.

Look, if I ran a widget factory, and my people were ripping me off for $15.00 an hour because some Union told them that's what they were worth, I would pack up shop and move to China too, where the workers make the same or better quality product at 1/100the the hourly cost or less!