All-22 1st Half Analysis

MasterStrategist

5 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

The 12 personnel thing is a bit misleading though, they are just counting the times that both Knox and Kincaid were on the field at the same time where Kincaid was more lined up as a WR and wasn't as much in the sense of a traditional 12 personnel formation.  Like Beane said, more like a 11.5 formation.  Which is great, but still only 8 targets combined.  

And all good man, good counter points, thoughts and stuff, I don't find you rude at all.  For me, it just felt like Josh would drop back and look downfield far too often and our game plan didn't prioritize attacking those shorter areas of the field to open up the downfield more.  

For me, if Josh has time to hold the ball and look down field then it doesn't feel like the primary or hot read was the short underneath that was open or he would have looked there first and fired.  So either Dorsey is calling it and Josh ignores it often, or these shorter routes are too often later in the read progressions.  Just doesn't feel like the quick strike and short throws have been a consistent part of this offense since Cole was here under Daboll.  Not saying we never do it, but it doesn't feel like its often enough to me.  

I could be wrong and more of it is to come, but it just felt like the same Dorsey from last year.  Calling long routes on down and short, running Cook and Allen on draws, not involving our TE's more.  Kincaid and Knox were on the field together for 64% of the snaps, but each only had 8 total targets.  If you are going to line up a TE at WR that often with another TE on the field, then it should be to exploit those mismatches and they should be the priority or hot read to the point to get more than 8 combined targets.  

Just my 2 cents...and hey its just one game where Allen played poorly, so hard to make any concrete conclusions anyway until we see more.  But I went into that game with keen eyes on both our coordinators and how the offense and defense might look different from last year.  And came away feeling good about McD and still concerned about whether Dorsey is the right fit for this gig.  But its one game, not gonna panic either, just he didn't do anything to alleviate my concerns and of course Josh Allen did him no favors either.

It's cool man. I think there are truths in both views, just see alot of mental errors/forces by Josh after watching all-22.

I'd suggest go watch the Cover1 breakdown, that @Lostposted in the Joe Marino thread.

After watching that, come back and tell me if you still put as much blame on Dorsey (or same Dorsey as LY).

8 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Two things need to fundamentally change and they have nothing to do with Dorsey:

1) Allen has to trust his OL. This was by far his biggest problem on Monday night. Bailing empty pockets, anticipating pressure, etc. I believe this more than anything led to most of his mistakes.

2) Allen needs to stop turning the ball over. Full stop.

We can't run a functional passing offense when our QB doesn't trust his OL (for no good reason I might add) and heaves downfield throws into bracketed coverage.

If anything else needs to change outside of Allen, Kincaid deserves more targets and I wish Brown was just plain better. But none of that will matter if Allen doesn't get his head on straight.

I think trusting the line will resolve itself.  It's just an opinion but I believe Josh wasn't prepared for the speed of the game.  It's been a while.  Training camp and practice aren't going to run at that speed.  Jets are fast and vicious.

4 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

It's cool man. I think there are truths in both views, just see alot of mental errors/forces by Josh after watching all-22.

I'd suggest go watch the Cover1 breakdown, that @Lostposted in the Joe Marino thread.

After watching that, come back and tell me if you still put as much blame on Dorsey (or same Dorsey as LY).

Oh I did, and let me be clear from my side, I’m not absolving Josh here, he made those mistakes and has owned them.  I’m with you on that for sure.

Im saying I came away from that game with concerns still on Dorsey on the decisions he also made in that game.  

It’s not necessarily one or the other, I think they both need to be better. 

All good, I’ve enjoyed your perspective and agree with most of what you have said too :) 

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

On 9/12/2023 at 9:26 PM, HoofHearted said:

Except he’s throwing a Smash concept into Cover 2. Corners are taught to play that too down essentially bracketing the Corner route Davis ran. He should have just taken the underneath to Kincaid.

As well he should take the play to Kincaid so that the defenses will have to choose which way they think the play is going.  If he never passed to b a ze there defenders may know they can ignore that and jump the Davis route as the only pass Josh will try.  If I know I can eliminate 1 of 2 options correctly  even just 75% of time then I'd  be caught out of position a low rate without a problem.

Edited by AuntieEm

9 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Oh I did, and let me be clear from my side, I’m not absolving Josh here, he made those mistakes and has owned them.  I’m with you on that for sure.

Im saying I came away from that game with concerns still on Dorsey on the decisions he also made in that game.  

It’s not necessarily one or the other, I think they both need to be better. 

All good, I’ve enjoyed your perspective and agree with most of what you have said too :) 

I was with you during the broadcast. Cursing up Dorsey left and right, wondering why he put Allen in these situations.

Rewatchjbg the game made it so obvious that Dorsey made a clear effort not only to make the short passing game an option, but also prioritize it. Some of the designed swing passes and outs were, in my opinion, a way to force Allen into that calm and cool mindset, building confidence, etc. 

I agree the some of Dorsey’s play designs are curious, but as you mention you never really know what’s going on behind the curtain. 

Example 1: Bills WRs running routes within 5 yards of each other. Much like on the Davis strike on the opening drive, Diggs is loafing his clear out route. At first glance, it’s wtf concept is that? Upon further review, it’s executional error. 

Example 2: 3rd and short with 4 WRs running intermediate routes. Again, at first view here, we might wonder wtf…but we do not know how particular coverages are effecting a route tree. It’s entirely possible there are times that option routes are dictated by coverage. Saleh was obviously aware of this, so sitting on the short game in these situations may have cause a pre-snap or  mid-play adjustment. This example is entirely speculative, although we know this is common place in football at many levels. 

As others have mentioned, Dorsey ultimately has to find a way to calm Allen, continue to provide ample opportunity for taking what’s there, while allowing him to gun sling in a responsible manner. 

My offensive wish list for next week:

- No negative 1st down plays

- More gap/power run game over zone/RPO

- Dorsey/Allen working half the field in two man concepts. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.