Where'd that raccoon go?

DrDawkinstein

Decades ago, neighbor across street told us a skunk was getting in his garbage. One evening, my mom is on the phone with her sister-in-law and hears a shot.  My aunt asks "What was that?" My mom  nonchalantally says"The neighbor shot a skunk." Next morning at the base of the front porch steps was a skunk in rigor mortis. My dad had to tale a  long handled shovel and bury it out in the fields.

Edited by Wacka

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

I vote with the Mrs.

Most habituated/concentrated skunk population I've ever seen was at Blackwater Falls State Park (WV).  Every morning and evening there was a veritable Skunk Parade through the campground, including one Grandfather Skunk that was something like 3 ft long. 

Our kid was a toddler and our friends had 3 kids from grade school to toddler, and of course the toddlers thought they were fascinating

They were actually very calm, didn't smell at all, weren't destructive and were comfortable as long as I was comfortable.

They didn't travel as a group though, always coming and going one at a time.

Another few days and I'd have probably started naming them. :blush:

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

The raccoons at Allegheny State Park are BOLD and AGGRESSIVE. And for extra fun, full of rabies!

I just remembered that when I was with a bunch of kids on a camping trip we slept out under the stars one night at Allegheny S.P., and I was having this weird dream about being crushed to death or something. I groggily started waking up and could feel a heavy weight on my chest. I grumped at the guy on my right side, but he said it wasn't him, and ditto for the dude sleeping to my left. I opened my eyes to see this shadowy mask-wearing figure planted on my chest and staring deeply into my eyes.  You can probably still hear the echoes from my yell.  Good times.

Glad I didn't know about the rabies.  That would've been the last straw.

• Haha (+1) 2

22 hours ago, Simon said:

I learned that when you relocate them you should move them at least 5-10 miles away.

If you don't, they can and will travel miles to find their way back to the spot they had already established. :blink:

Chipmunks do that too.  You need to make sure they’d need to cross water to get back.

On 9/8/2023 at 1:28 PM, DrDawkinstein said:

The raccoons at Allegheny State Park are BOLD and AGGRESSIVE. And for extra fun, full of rabies!

I second this.   They start coming out about 5 pm when campers start firing up their grills or building campfires.   What's even worse is that some idiots, despite signs warning about rabies in the raccoons, actively encourage them coming around campsites/cabins by feeding them -- and letting their children feed them!  :doh: 

6 minutes ago, SoTier said:

I second this.   They start coming out about 5 pm when campers start firing up their grills or building campfires.   What's even worse is that some idiots, despite signs warning about rabies in the raccoons, actively encourage them coming around campsites/cabins by feeding them -- and letting their children feed them!  :doh: 

Can’t they just put up signs telling the raccoons to go away?    😋

Tourists would do the same thing when we lived in Hilton Head, SC. They would get a kick out of feeding marshmallows to alligators, who came to see people as a food source. People die from these gator attacks. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/8/2023 at 1:28 PM, DrDawkinstein said:

Years ago, my sister and B-i-L had a station wagon with vent windows (shows you how long ago). Had a cabin at Allegheny. Stored some lasagna in the car (was in the fall) but forgot to lock the window. A raccoon squeezes its ey in. She said every square inch inside had sauce on it.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.