The People v. McBeane (Alternatively, comparing SF to BUF since 2017)

FireChans

On 8/24/2023 at 11:17 AM, PBF81 said:

Now, put Allen on the Niners and their QBs on the Bills, and then what do you see?  

Why, just why?!?

That’s not how it works. Oh, anything to put down our regime. What a joke a post. 

• Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, Orlando Tim said:

The 49erd are like us, some good some bad but overall we win a lot so I am happy.

I think Lynch is the only questionable thing there. A lot of the talk and recruitment comes directly from Shanny. The draft choices are directly the York’s and Lynch. 

On 8/24/2023 at 11:15 AM, ScottLaw said:

The difference is Josh.

Somewhat impressive they’ve been mostly good with constant turnover at the QB position and they’ve been to a SB… we’ve been struggling to get there with arguably the 2nd best QB in the league.(Not until 2020 was he truly great however.)

Still, I’d take Shannon over McD hands down.

You might want to reconsider your praise for Shanahan.  Maybe it's just a curse, or maybe Lynch and Shanahan aren't particularly astute in picking QBs who can stay on the field -- or maybe it's not the QBs but something in Shanahan's offense.   I can't think of any other playoff caliber team in the last decade or more that has repeatedly lost multiple QBs to game time injuries.   In 2022, even the backup (Josh Johnson) to the backup promoted from 3rd string (Purdy) was hurt in the same game.

- John Lynch and Kyle Shanahan both came on board in 2017. 

- They passed on Mahomes in the 2017 even though their QBs during the season were to be Brian Hoyer and CJ Beathard after they released Colin Kaepernick. 

- In October, they traded for Jimmy Garoppolo, who played in only 3 games in 2018 because of injury and only 6 games in 2020 because of 2 separate injuries.  In 2021, Garoppolo suffered three separate injuries, one early in the season, another in Week 16, and finally a third in the playoffs.  

- In 2018, after losing Garoppolo's backup, CJ Beathard,  to injury, the 49ers brought in UDFA QB Nick Mullens who seemed to be really good for a few games ... until he wasn't.   In 2020, Mullens was injured late in the season when playing in place of Garoppolo

- 2021, Lynch and Shanahan sent 4 picks, including 3 first rounders, to Miami in order to draft Trey Lance, who barely played in college, and at a small college at that.   Lance played in 2 games as a rookie.

- Lance was named the starter to begin 2022 but only played two games before being injured and out for the season.

- Garoppolo managed to start 10 games in 2022 before being sidelined with a broken foot in early December, opening the door for 7th round pick Brock Purdy.

- Purdy lasted until he was injured in the NFC Conference Championship game and was replaced by veteran Josh Johnson, who also was injured in the game, necessitating Purdy returning even though he couldn't throw effectively.

On 8/24/2023 at 12:54 PM, Araiza Curse said:

This. Shanny has made Mr Irrelevant into a serviceable QB, while McD squanders the 2nd best QB in the league. Imagine what good coaches like Shanny, McV, and Billy would do with Allen. 

Purdy's been serviceable for 6-8 games.  So was UDFA Nick Mullens, who's currently Cousins' backup in Minnesota I think.  There's been dozens of late round QBs who have been "serviceable" for half a season or so over the years.   It's not all that rare.  What's a rarity is a late round/UDFA QB become a real franchise QB for several years at least.

How is Josh Allen being "squandered"?   "Squandering" a QB was Matthew Stafford playing most of his career in Detroit.

On 8/24/2023 at 1:34 PM, ngbills said:

Well the Lance pick is all Allen's fault. Everyone fell in love with him because they saw the Josh similarities. I am not sold on Purdy but if he turns out to be a franchise guy I guess its a wash but for a lot cheaper. I dont see it though.

In fairness to SF - 2017 Niners and Bills both missed the Mahomes pick. 2018 - 3 QB's taken before they picked. They passed on Rosen which turned out to be right. 2019 - Bosa over Jones is the right call. Was a weak QB class. 2020 -  3 QB's taken before they picked, they weren't drafting Love. Had no shot at Burrow, Tua, Herbert. 2021 - Lance...

2018 - The 49ers could have taken Lamar Jackson, who eventually went #32.

2020 - Jalen Hurts went in the second round.

2021 - Mac Jones went #15.

Jackson and Hurts are bonafide franchise QBs.  Jones is, at minimum, a serviceable NFL starter.  

2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Your some how blaming the QBs getting hurt on the offense?

I’m not praising Shanny. I think he’s a douche. I’d still take him as a coach over McD.

No, I'm not.  I'm simply making the observation that the 49ers since 2017 under Lynch and Shanahan just can't seem to keep QBs on the field because of in- game injuries.  If it was just Garoppolo, it could just be dismissed as one injury-prone player but every single QB who plays for them ends up hurt.  Last year they went through Lance, Garoppolo, Purdy, and Johnson.  In 2018 or 2019, they used three QBs because of injuries.  It's not like the Niners have a crappy OL or that their QBs are running like Josh Allen or Lamar Jackson.  The injuries aren't similar so it's unlikely that they stem from training regimens.  Do they tend to pick QBs who are more slightly built than the average NFL QB and thus more injury prone?  Is it possible that Shanahan's offensive schemes somehow expose his QBs to injury more than other coaches' schemes? 

I can't give Lynch and Shanahan kudos for being successful despite an unsettled QB situation when their QBs can't stay healthy for more than a few games at a time.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.