Wimbledon 2023

Augie

12 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

I thought Jessica Pegula  was play 2nd round today but never saw a score

Pegula (#4) v Bucsa (#78) 1:15 pm ET on ESPN.

Edited by Mr Info
  • Thank you (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Mr Info said:

Pegula (#4) v Bucsa (#78) 1:15 pm ET on ESPN.

And…….finally she’s up next! You just never know how long things will take to unfold in the matches before you.

I was looking into just touring the grounds when I go for the Bills game in October. It appears that is allowed but you need to book a reservation in advance thru the museum, and probably pay something? Anybody know anything about this? 

16 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

I thought Jessica Pegula  was play 2nd round today but never saw a score

She dropped a set in the first round but won more easily today, 6-1 and 6-4. 

Oh, and BTW, Andy Murray is just as whiney and unlikable as ever. 

Edited by Augie
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On a related note, it seems Murray just hurt himself slipping on the grass and went down hard. He recovered enough to win one service point ending the set, then they called it for the night. The way he was grabbing his junk sitting in his chair was a mixture of confusing and disturbing. He acted like he’d been whacked in the goods with his racquet! Replay showed he just slipped.

He was fortunate it ended so conveniently in front of his home crowd. 

I am all for equality, including with prize money in tournaments, but we have a problem. If they women want equal pay they should have to play best of 5 sets. Sorry, that may be my jerk post of the day, but if we are going to be equal, then we should be equal, right? Equal pay for equal work. 

Maybe I feel this way because Serena was the champion for equal play and after experiencing her in person on practice courts, I just plain don’t like her. One of the most dominant athletes of all time, men or women in any sport, but a Class A jerk in person. I guess you could say the say thing about Michael Jordan and others, but I was glad to see the “real Serena” come out a few years ago at the US Open when she was caught on camera yelling at the line judge “I’ll shove this ball up your @ss!”  That was the Serena we saw on the practice courts at the Miami tournament. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Augie said:

I am all for equality, including with prize money in tournaments, but we have a problem. If they women want equal pay they should have to play best of 5 sets. Sorry, that may be my jerk post of the day, but if we are going to be equal, then we should be equal, right? Equal pay for equal work. 

Maybe I feel this way because Serena was the champion for equal play and after experiencing her in person on practice courts, I just plain don’t like her. One of the most dominant athletes of all time, men or women in any sport, but a Class A jerk in person. I guess you could say the say thing about Michael Jordan and others, but I was glad to see the “real Serena” come out a few years ago at the US Open when she was caught on camera yelling at the line judge “I’ll shove this ball up your @ss!”  That was the Serena we saw on the practice courts at the Miami tournament. 

It’s more about their draw (TV) vs. the mens’ draw. 

5 minutes ago, Gugny said:

It’s more about their draw (TV) vs. the mens’ draw. 

I know that, just like soccer. But they should argue that. She argued inequality as I recall. 

HINT: I love women’s tennis and I’m all for them getting paid, but Serena Williams is not the beautiful smiling face you see in interviews. I’d never tell her to her face how much I don’t like her because I’m too polite. And more than a little afraid of her. 😋

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 7/7/2023 at 4:04 PM, Augie said:

Men’s game takes too long. I don’t have 4 hours to watch a match. Best of 3 is more interesting. Major tournaments should change mens format - even djokavich (sp) agrees. Unless you sweep in 3 it’s like running a marathon every time you step on court- can dilute the quality of tennis being played. I pretty much only watch WTA 

17 hours ago, Vetriano said:

Men’s game takes too long. I don’t have 4 hours to watch a match. Best of 3 is more interesting. Major tournaments should change mens format - even djokavich (sp) agrees. Unless you sweep in 3 it’s like running a marathon every time you step on court- can dilute the quality of tennis being played. I pretty much only watch WTA 

There are a lot of things they can do to make it more enjoyable to watch, IMO. I like it as is, but mostly as background. I flip in and out.

If you want fun, I loved attending Team Tennis events. Men and women in singles and doubles/mixed. The music is going, the drinks are pouring and the crowd gets rocking! I enjoyed that much more than I thought I would. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Augie said:

Djokovic reminds me of Aaron Rodgers. Smart, but not as smart as he thinks he is. That smugness is embarrassing. 

At least he's earned the smugness with his record, meanwhile Rogers has one championship.

I find I tend to like athletes more when I don't watch their interviews.

13 hours ago, Augie said:

Djokovic reminds me of Aaron Rodgers. Smart, but not as smart as he thinks he is. That smugness is embarrassing. 

1 hour ago, LeviF said:

At least he's earned the smugness with his record, meanwhile Rogers has one championship.

I don't know whether he's at the head of the class, but it sure won't take long to call the roll.

Chris Eubanks of the US is quite a story! He’s 6’7” and just beat #5 Tsitsipas to get into the quarter finals. He came into the year ranked #123. Seems like a nice guy and he is ON A ROLL! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 7/7/2023 at 4:04 PM, Augie said:

Look, you don’t pay me to agree with you, you pay me to be honest with you. 

There’s a lot going on here, and you need to talk to someone. 

1 minute ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Look, you don’t pay me to agree with you, you pay me to be honest with you. 

There’s a lot going on here, and you need to talk to someone. 

Umm, I don’t pay you at all!

Should I be expecting an invoice or something? I doubt that gets past accounting.  🤷‍♂️

Serena has a lot going on, for sure. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.